Author Topic: Pros and cons of safe oscilloscope probing methods?  (Read 924 times)

Offline scatterandfocusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Pros and cons of safe oscilloscope probing methods?
« on: September 21, 2019, 05:35:17 am »
I have seen lots of discussion around here about safe probing using either a differential probe or an isolation transformer on the device under test.  I have also seen mention elsewhere of the old school method of using 2 probes with the add function and inverting one of the channels.  It also seems that in a pinch a voltage meter could be used to check for a difference between scope ground and the ground point of interest on the device under test before probing, and simply not probing where there is a significant difference.

What are the possible issues with these various methods of probing?  For example, I saw one mention that using the scope's add function for differential probing will be noisier than using a differential probe. 

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Pros and cons of safe oscilloscope probing methods?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 05:51:17 am »
An excellent application note for beginner from Tektronix on different measurements approach with an oscilloscope.

Fundamental of Floating Measurements and Isolated Input Oscilloscopes

Brief summary :

What are the Advantages & Trade-Offs for these type of measurements using the oscilloscope ?
  • Isolated Input Oscilloscope
  • Differential Probe
  • Voltage Isolator
  • "A minus B" (Two probes technique)
  • "Floating" a Conventional Grounded Scope

Download link -> http://info.tek.com/rs/tektronix/images/3AW_19134_2_MR_Letter.pdf

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Pros and cons of safe oscilloscope probing methods?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 06:48:02 am »
I have seen lots of discussion around here about safe probing using either a differential probe or an isolation transformer on the device under test.  I have also seen mention elsewhere of the old school method of using 2 probes with the add function and inverting one of the channels.  It also seems that in a pinch a voltage meter could be used to check for a difference between scope ground and the ground point of interest on the device under test before probing, and simply not probing where there is a significant difference.

What are the possible issues with these various methods of probing?  For example, I saw one mention that using the scope's add function for differential probing will be noisier than using a differential probe.

Have a look at the references in https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf