Author Topic: GDS-1054B extremely dim screen  (Read 765 times)

Offline Antonio90Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
GDS-1054B extremely dim screen
« on: June 17, 2020, 06:40:16 pm »
Hello everyone.
I just received my new GDS-1054B. Powered it on to see if it worked, fumbled around the menus and options a bit and did the probe compensation stuff with the 4 included probes. Then I powered it off and went to study for a few hours.
I then downloaded the latest firmware, put it in a usb key to upgrade and plugged it in before powering on the scope. It didn't boot into the interface while the usb light kept flashing for a few minutes, so I powered it off, took out the usb key and back on. The GW INSTEK logo appeared bright as before but then the backlight dimmed a lot and it has stayed like that.

The scope works, but the screen is extremely dim. I can see the waveforms well enough if the room is dark, but the "help" menu with it's grey background and black text is almost imposible to read no matter what, and I could read it just fine before.

I have upped the brightness in the "display menu", upgraded the firmware to 1.27, and downgraded to 1.12 to no avail.

Any ideas about what could be done?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: GDS-1054B extremely dim screen
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:06:35 pm »
Did you follow the safe update procedure? If not then try that first.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Antonio90Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 07:31:18 pm »
I updated it as specified in the instructions from GW INSTEK website: https://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/downloadSeriesDownNew/959/130
But it seems like the screen backlight might be dead, it doesn't light up anymore. The scope powers on, and lighting the screen very closely with my smartphone's flashlight reveals that it actually works (it kind of reflects the shapes that should be visible). However, it's completely black.
Oh well. I suppose shit happens  :(

Thanks for helping anyway  :)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 07:59:32 pm »
Time to return it indeed...
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 01:25:15 am »
Bad luck.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf