Author Topic: SpectrumAnalyzer/VNA Buying advice below 4k€  (Read 2630 times)

Offline FrexTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
SpectrumAnalyzer/VNA Buying advice below 4k€
« on: March 27, 2023, 11:25:20 am »
Hello all,

I'm looking for buying a spectrum analyzer with VNA capability for my personal use.
My main needs are:
mixed-signal board EMI investigation / pre-compliance test evaluation.
RF antenna impedance measurements and adaptation (LTE 3G 4G - 2.4GHz)
Various RF measurements...

The budget would be less than 4 k€.

I'v already seen the Siglent SSA3021X that seem to be "upgraded"
 to the Siglent SVA1032X that will well fit the need.
I also look the Rigol Rigol RSA3015 series, but I don't know if it is also upgradable.
It seem more modern than the Siglent using direct digital IF conversion
that can be very useful for EMI debugging of transients.

Can anyone have some advices/suggestions about these ones ?
What would be the better choice ? Is there others interesting options at that price point ?
(no used equipements).
Thanks in adavance.

Frex

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: SpectrumAnalyzer/VNA Buying advice below 4k€
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 11:48:45 am »
On the used market you can find LTE basestation analysers with VNA capabilities like the JDSU / Viavi JD745A / B. But since these are basestation analysers, don't expect things like signal demodulation to be useable or to have extensive features where it comes to network analysis like you'd get from  a network analyser. From what I've read the Siglent SVA has very little dynamic range at the low end. The JD745A is definitely better in that aspect. You can also take a look at the Libre VNA (PC based). Based on what I've read & seen so far, I would not buy the low cost Rigol or Siglent 'VNA' enabled spectrum analysers. The performance simply isn't there. If you want a new, standalone box you might want to look at R&S FPC.

I have a JD745A myself which I use mainly for EMC pre-compliance testing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:31:05 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 11:51:44 am »
We have an SSA3021x  and was upgraded successfully to a SSA3032x   and a Rigol DSA815  who got some options updates too, and a New Siglent SSG3021x  to SSG3022x  too  loll

Compare the prices and the free "possible upgrades"  loll

The SSA3021x upgrade added at lest almost 1k$$$  value over it  ....     

Offline Hexley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 03:52:33 pm »
A "test drive" of each candidate is highly recommended if you can arrange it.

I recently changed from a Tektronix plug-in SA to a Rohde & Schwarz FPC1500 and it was a bit frustrating to do something as simple as change the vertical scale on the R&S. If I had arranged for a demo unit first, I might have kept looking at other units to see if there was one that felt more natural to me.

By contrast, a colleague lent me an old  Rigol DSA815 and that felt quite natural.

So a side-by-side test drive of your top two candidates, the Siglent SSA3021X and the Rigol Rigol RSA3015, would be interesting if that were possible.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 07:02:27 pm »
We have an SSA3021x  and was upgraded successfully to a SSA3032x   and a Rigol DSA815  who got some options updates too, and a New Siglent SSG3021x  to SSG3022x  too  loll

Compare the prices and the free "possible upgrades"  loll

The SSA3021x upgrade added at lest almost 1k$$$  value over it  ....     
So many mistakes.......  |O

SSA3021X Plus is same HW as SVA1032X ....$ 1650 vs $ 3470, is it any wonder they are a popular seller....option costs additional.  ;)

Siglent SSG3021x  to SSG3022x
Really is it not possible to get the model # correct ?
SSG3021X to SSG3032X I did years ago for private use for ~$1400 saving.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 07:38:01 pm »
aww sorry  few kb typos  loll

SSG3032X

SSA3032x

loll

thks Siglent

but i'm sad to see no control software for the SSG xxxx until you play with Labview  witch i dont    :palm: |O

Ca we get / order   the "NEW" front panels stickers   once modified   loll ???  Willing to pay for them, since i saved a lot  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 07:43:23 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 08:03:29 pm »
The R&S FPC1500 has a tracking generator and falls within that price range:

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/products/test-and-measurement/benchtop-analyzers/rs-fpc-spectrum-analyzer_63493-542324.html

It's widely used for the things you mention (EMI, S11, standard RF measurements, etc.).  We also have software for interfacing with the FPC for precompliance testing

https://scdn.rohde-schwarz.com/ur/pws/dl_downloads/dl_application/pdfs/EMI-debugging-with-FPC_ac_3609-3213-92_v0100.pdf

I did a series of six videos showing how to configure and use various functions of the FPC.  If you have any questions about it, please let me know :)

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 09:22:28 pm »

but i'm sad to see no control software for the SSG xxxx until you play with Labview  witch i dont    :palm: |O

:-//
Maybe you'd be best to spend some time to read this:
P84 Chapter 4 Programming Examples
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/SSG3000X_Programming%20Guide-PG0803X-E01B.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 12:52:18 am »
I should probably also point out that there's free remote control / remote GUI software for the FPC.

For PCs:
https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/manual/r-s-instrumentview-software-manual-manuals_230144-188228.html
https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/software/instrumentview/

For Android devices:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rohdeschwarz.android.mobileview&gl=US&pli=1

The FPC also supports standard SCPI programming commands as well.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Offline FrexTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 06:05:37 am »
Hello,

First, thank you all for your replies.

In fact, the FCP seem to be also interesting and I know the R&S brand as top notch.
Anyway, to be fair you It enter only in price point without option and with a low bandwith of 1GHz as my request is to be more than 2.4GHz for wireless needs
So the real price would be more about 3200€ (base price) + 2 x1100€ (for 1 to 3GHz) = 5400€.
Then, I want VNA mode as I request that cost again 984€ more ; 6370€HT. Even the preamplifier is an option...
So, yes it is probably a great tool, but in fact clearly not in same price range in real life sorry.
(Anyway, If i'm wrong and a low cost full pack that I don't hear about exist i'm open !).

I also d'ont want old (used) equipement. I want modern one, where taking a screenshoot or recover
 a config is not a pain (I already well know this).

I asked mainly about these two devices because when looking discussions here (and alsewhere)
they are the most underlined.
Regards.

Frex

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 06:21:55 am »
I have an SVA1032X and it is not bad. I also looked to FPC1500 when looking for a VNA. I expect R&S might have better build quality and maybe better in some specs. One point is FPC1500 can -I think- only measure the magnitude of s21 (not phase). SVA1032X does vector measurement of both s11 and s21. I also recommend to consider second hand older but better/two-ports VNAs.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 09:34:00 am »
Hello,

First, thank you all for your replies.

In fact, the FCP seem to be also interesting and I know the R&S brand as top notch.
Anyway, to be fair you It enter only in price point without option and with a low bandwith of 1GHz as my request is to be more than 2.4GHz for wireless needs
So the real price would be more about 3200€ (base price) + 2 x1100€ (for 1 to 3GHz) = 5400€.
Then, I want VNA mode as I request that cost again 984€ more ; 6370€HT. Even the preamplifier is an option...
AFAIK there are bundles that are cheaper. For example the FPC-COM2 bundle which includes most (if not all) options. I think it is a good idea to check your local R&S dealer for a reasonably priced option bundle.

I agree about the older equipment; I looked at many of those as well but most are very old without USB and other modern connectivity options. That is why I ended up with the JD745. It is reasonably modern so it has LAN and USB connectivity build in. Likely there are more modern base station analysers as well.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:43:49 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski, johofz

Offline 3isenhorn

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 06:03:13 pm »
Hello,

With respect to the use case I would suggest to have a look at the lower signal hound spectrum analyzer with a matching tracking generator.
Of course it depends if you like to have a pc only control.

Best regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf