Author Topic: HP 53310a UCIC chip bad  (Read 1129 times)

Offline HgspineTopic starter

• Contributor
HP 53310a UCIC chip bad
« on: October 13, 2019, 11:46:10 pm »
Hi there,

My HP 53310a MDA is not working and the tech has found a bad UCIC chip on the A1 board.

Has anyone here ever run into this same problem and found a solution?

Thank you.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
Re: HP 53310a UCIC chip bad
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 01:14:32 am »
Ouch, that's bad news. The UCIC is the TDC (time-digital-converter), the chip where all the magic happens... Apparently it's been made by or specifically for HP, their part number is 1SL5-0125. There's probably little chance sourcing one of these NOS. I'ld rather watch out for a cheap 53310A, maybe a parts / defective unit. I have never heard of one of these chips failing but this doesn't mean much. Are you sure it's the UCIC and has your technichan the experience to track the fault down to this semiconductor? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning your tech's skills but the 53310A is a mighty complex machine, and even with the CLIP (component level information package) available, the operating principles, especially around the UCIC, stay pretty much in the dark. There doesn't seem to be a datasheet or any in-depth description of this semiconductor available. At least I wasn't able to find one.

What's the actual problem, does the MDA report some errors or is it simply "dead"?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 01:23:30 am »
Biggest problem on the 53310a (and some scope from the same era) is the power supply. If you never recapped the power supply and your device was just not starting anymore or shutting down by itself it's probably the power supply.

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 01:34:12 am »
One of mine 53310a always had one self-test fail, for UCIC Programmable Logic Array, but it doesn't seem to affect the operation of the device in any obvious way.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 01:37:37 am »
He tested the power supply and all good.  He built an extension cable for the power supply to be able to work on it with the power supply away from the unit.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 01:48:26 am »
 It fails tests for RAM, GAIN, Interpolators and UCIC.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 10:21:24 am »
This multitude of errors doesn't appear indicative to me for a genuine UCIC failure. All the affected modules are somehow related to the buffered data bus (BDBUS). So I would first take a closer look at the bus drivers / buffers on the A3 CPU board (U70 and U71) and check the signal appearance on all the buffered data lines for plausibility. If a signal appears wonky, track it down to the source.

The cause could also be an address decoder but I'ld expect not that many errors if one goes bad...

Would it be possible to get access to a second MDA so you could swap boards to localize the problem?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf