Author Topic: Anyone has had experience with Pylon Electronics Calibration Service in Canada  (Read 1123 times)

Offline analogRFTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I was wondering if anyone in Canada (or USA for that matter) has had any experience with https://pylonelectronics.com/
calibration services?

I want to get my 34470A calibrated and their price is the cheapest I got so far (almost half of Keysight)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Don't mess around, send it to Keysight. :)
VE7FM

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
Don't mess around, send it to Keysight. :)

Why?
For the slow turn around? The way they wont deal with hobbyists?

If it's for the uncertainty then yes it's a wise choice but if it's not then just look at the 17025 accreditation and decide if it is ok for what you want to do.

Ask the lab for an example cert, do the same for Keysight and compare the two. See if what you will be getting fits your needs. A true voltnut will go in search of the lab that can give you the best and that might not be with the manufacturer.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
I want to get my 34470A calibrated and their price is the cheapest I got so far (almost half of Keysight)

You didn't mention the exact location, but here are the certificates for the Toronto area.

https://pylonelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/3630-03-Pylon-MSGA-new.pdf

https://www.keysight.com/gb/en/assets/7120-1284/exhibits/Americas-ANAB-Certificate-and-Scope-of-Accreditation-All-Sites.pdf (go to 2nd page, click on "Mississauga")

Your meter has about a 8ppm 24-hour basic DC spec, 16ppm 1-year.  The Pylon lab in Toronto has a multifunction calibrator with about a 10ppm basic DC uncertainty.  The Keysight lab has a high-performance calibrator with about a 3-4ppm basic DC uncertainty.  And that isn't even looking at AC, current, etc--you'd have to review those listings for every spec you care about.  YMMV depending on location.

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

• Frequent Contributor

You didn't mention the exact location, but here are the certificates for the Toronto area.

https://pylonelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/3630-03-Pylon-MSGA-new.pdf

https://www.keysight.com/gb/en/assets/7120-1284/exhibits/Americas-ANAB-Certificate-and-Scope-of-Accreditation-All-Sites.pdf (go to 2nd page, click on "Mississauga")

Your meter has about a 8ppm 24-hour basic DC spec, 16ppm 1-year.  The Pylon lab in Toronto has a multifunction calibrator with about a 10ppm basic DC uncertainty.  The Keysight lab has a high-performance calibrator with about a 3-4ppm basic DC uncertainty.  And that isn't even looking at AC, current, etc--you'd have to review those listings for every spec you care about.  YMMV depending on location.

thanks for these valuable info. yes, i did look and there is no contest between these two...light years apart...
for the keysight i have to ship it to and from, i cannot drop it off like the Pylon and their price is also twice and then there is the tax...so i have to think about this but definitely not worth sending to Pylon for sure. Maybe for my Fluke 289 it will be worth it.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
thanks for these valuable info. yes, i did look and there is no contest between these two...light years apart...

Where are you located? To be complete and fair, you would have to actually ask which lab was going to be used and what their specs were.  It's possible Pylon may send the meter to a different lab.  But if they can't answer those questions clearly, stay away.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Frequent Contributor

Where are you located? To be complete and fair, you would have to actually ask which lab was going to be used and what their specs were.  It's possible Pylon may send the meter to a different lab.  But if they can't answer those questions clearly, stay away.

i am about an hour away from Mississauga. Pylon said this meter has to go to their Ottawa lab but I can drop it at Mississauga and pick it up from there. So yeah better to see what their Ottawa lab can do because I had the feeling that he meant "this" particular meter has to go to Ottawa lab so maybe he knows they cannot provide the precision required in their Toronto lab

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
The Ottawa lab looks a lot better, they have a Fluke 5720A high-performance calibrator.

The following users thanked this post: analogRF, mendip_discovery

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
The Ottawa lab looks a lot better, they have a Fluke 5720A high-performance calibrator.

When you look at the Ottowa site then the Unc is better than Keysight, using the same model Fluke calibrator. <-- just looked, the ppm is better but the second part isn't, but I doubt there is much in it.

I would make sure you ask for their best capability just to ensure it goes onto the best calibrator and not the second best. DAMHIKOJDOK.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 02:47:35 pm by mendip_discovery »
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf