Author Topic: Korad KA3005P+ (from welectron)  (Read 4889 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Korad KA3005P+ (from welectron)
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2022, 02:45:50 pm »
Can you give me an example (or a link to) of an 'non-insulated CAT I cables' so I can check it out and see how that 'thing' looks like?
Also, what 'dolphin' clips?
By non-insulated they just mean a standard, unshrouded banana plug, as opposed to safety banana plugs which have no exposed metal.

Google “Stäubli dolphin clip”.

The following users thanked this post: twist3r

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2022, 08:40:48 pm »
Wow, so many questions at once ;-)

Ok, from bottom to top: The Hirschmann test leads there with blank tips are CAT I due to regulations- and are only allowed to be used with low voltages to prevent accidents.
Technically I would bet lots of things that they are capable of lot more...
And as you are ordering a power supply without screw type terminals, uninsulated connectors are the logical step.
So: nothing wrong with them, Hirschmann leads are good quality and the price seems ok for the length offered.

The other stuff: I admit that I am a bit of a Multicontact/Stäubli fanboy, have used lots of their stuff in the past, also for adapting in appliance testing (In germany: DGUV V3/VDE 0701-0702).

There are some special test leads with retractable shields, that can be used in both environments. Link attached. Also with dolphin clips, those are most useful in environments, where you have to grip some bigger bolts, or rails- there is also a one-sided version, that can be used up to CAT IV- i like those, because you can grip them to bigger systems like welding transformers etc. and they don't slip.
As for probes with hooks: I use an earlier version of the linked probes with retractable hooks, used them lately to inject some voltage to a power supply I am currently (still) repairing.
With mainboards you probably want to have some look at the 2mm program some manufacturers offer, as the possibilities to inject voltage to a modern PC mainboard are not very friendly and most important, quite tiny.
(At least for me, that has grown up with wires not smaller than 0,5 mm²...)

https://www.staubli.com/global/en/electrical-connectors/products/t-m-products/products-for-test-accessories/test-leads-2-mm-and-4-mm/test-lead-lk410l-41-a.html
https://www.staubli.com/global/en/electrical-connectors/products/t-m-products/products-for-test-accessories/test-leads-2-mm-and-4-mm/test-lead-xzg4.html
https://www.staubli.com/global/en/electrical-connectors/products/t-m-products/high-frequency-measurement/accessories-for-passive-probes/hc400.html
https://www.staubli.com/global/en/electrical-connectors/products/t-m-products/products-for-test-accessories/test-probes-2-mm-and-4-mm/pluggable-accessory-xdk-1033p.html
https://www.staubli.com/global/en/electrical-connectors/products/t-m-products/products-for-test-accessories/test-clips-2-mm-and-4-mm/dolphin-clip-xdk-1033-i-2.html

Offline twist3rTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2022, 04:43:15 pm »
Thanks for your answer guys.

And as you are ordering a power supply without screw type terminals, uninsulated connectors are the logical step.
So: nothing wrong with them, Hirschmann leads are good quality and the price seems ok for the length offered.

I'm confused here. I'm about to order: KA3005P+ (Screw Terminals)

This one:

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2022, 09:41:48 pm »
Sorry, typo- hands were moving faster as brain...

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2022, 03:14:34 pm »
Ok :)

^ So... for KA3005P+ (Screw Terminals)

I plan to order 2 extra pair of probes:

Hirschmann PRUEF 2 Test Probe Pair Red/Black https://www.welectron.com/Hirschmann-PRUEF-2-Test-Probe-Pair-Red-Black
Hirschmann KLEPS 30 Clamp-Type Test Probe Pair Red/Black https://www.welectron.com/Hirschmann-PRUEF-2-Test-Probe-Pair-Red-Black

Would you say I'm good to go, and I should go forward and order my first bench power supply along with these 2 pairs of probes?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 03:17:14 pm by twist3r »

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2022, 04:25:11 pm »
They are ok, especially for the price. I personally prefer slimmer probes like the PRUEF2, but that is a personal decision.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2022, 04:49:16 pm »
These should be fine. Don't forget the cables!  :)

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2022, 05:13:24 pm »
These should be fine. Don't forget the cables!  :)

Cables? Where are they? (I'm sorry for asking a stupid question)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2022, 05:28:22 pm »
Ah, "cables" = "test leads" = "measuring leads". Sorry for the confusion.

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2022, 05:30:35 pm »
Ah, "cables" = "test leads" = "measuring leads". Sorry for the confusion.
OK.
But... ... could they 'fit' (get stuck into) a screw terminals?

And... what would be your suggestion for an average length of test leads cables?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2022, 05:47:48 pm »
Yes all of them fit. (They are all "CAT1", i.e. without the shrouds around the plug tips.)

The length really depends on where you want to use the leads, and how things are arranged on your bench. My power supplies sit on a shelf just above the bench, and I mainly use 0.5 m leads -- long enough to reach down onto the bench and a bit to either side, but no excess length to avoid clutter on the bench. Sometimes I need longer leads, but I don't think I have any that are longer than 1 m.

If you want to order only one pair of leads for starters, I would go with 1 meter length.

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2022, 05:53:43 pm »
I don't have a bench yet. I mostly don't have anything. I'm slowly starting to gather tools that are 'a must' (like bench power supply, stereoscopic microscope and hot air station). I will not be able to buy them all at once, since I need to spare enough money for all of them. So I decided to first start with bench power supply so I can at least 'feel' how it looks like when you 'hunt' for a short on some faulty motherboard.

So...for the lenght of the test leads I guess it all depends how high above your bench you hold your power supply. I guess its somewhere like...30-40 cm above the bench (table)?
I don't know. I really have no experience. Somehow I think 1m is too short, but then again I might be wrong since I really have no clue.

(could you make a photo of your bench and bench power supply so I can visually see how it looks like?)

EDIT:
I googled the voltage for CAT 1 cables and I found this:
https://www.digikey.com/en/blog/what-are-multimeter-cat-safety-ratings

^ did I understand correctly that with CAT 1 cable I can measure voltage up to 150v while current being up to 5A ? (or is it much less than that, for both voltage and current)?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:03:23 pm by twist3r »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2022, 06:43:42 pm »
For what it's worth, a picture of my "bench" is attached below. For perspective, I assume this is at the bottom end of the scale of bench sizes you will find among forum members. 8) In fact, my whole bench is a shelf: one of my trusty Ivar bookshelves from IKEA into which I installed two 60 cm deep boards as a desktop.

The shelf with the power supplies, scope and frequency generator sits 40 cm above the desk. That's a height which gives me good visibility of the desk, and also puts the equipment on the shelf at a comfortable height (easy to reach and see). I also get bright and glare-free lighting from an LED strip attached below that shelf.

As you can see, the bench was meant to be twice as wide, but the left half has been taken over by old arcade and computer stuff for now. I might reclaim it as a bench if I get more serious about electronics... Not shown is the large (!) cupboard full of materials, old projects, working and non-working equipment, more old computers, radio stuff, etc.. Electronics and adjacent hobbies have a tendency to eat up space over time...

Regarding your question about CAT1 cables: "Extra-low voltage", i.e. voltage which is considered safe to the touch under all circumstances, is typically specified as < 50V AC or < 120V DC. So the 30V output of your power supply (or even +- 30V if you combine two supplies into a dual supply) is still very safely within that range.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 05:14:54 am by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, twist3r

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2022, 07:00:31 pm »
Thank you for that answer!

Your bench looks so nice! It feels like I just want to sit there right now and start doing electronic testing. :)

btw. lenght of your test leads (kinda) look a bit short IMO. Maybe if they were.... 60-70cm they would be better for me. I guess I would have to go with 1m as you suggested, until I get used to shorter cables (test leads).

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2022, 07:04:17 pm »
Thanks! For more (and more serious) inspiration on bench and lab layouts, here is an entire thread with more photos than you ever wanted to look at: ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/

Agree, sometimes the 0.5 m leads are a bit limiting. I do have longer ones (in that large and messy cupboard...) and use them sometimes. As mentioned earlier, if you start with a pair of 1 meter leads, I think you can't go wrong.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2022, 07:38:17 pm »
Indeed, I think Migros’ own chocolate brand (Frey) is outstanding, and many Swiss feel the same way. It’s what I bring to people as gifts, being both cheaper and IMHO better than Lindt.

Can confirm - I used to literally carry kilos of those large 400g Frey bars to my family back when I studied in Lausanne. On more occasion than one I got some very strange looks from the airport security at the Geneva and Zurich airports when the xray machine operator likely thought they have got a cocaine smuggler or someone with a bomb in the suitcase (I regularly carried laptop, various cables and what not too) - only to discover 3-4 kilos of Frey chocolate with a laptop power brick on top.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2022, 08:02:12 am »
I think the Migros at Zurich airport must make a killing on chocolate and cheese, with all the travelers bringing back tons of it to people!

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2022, 09:49:24 am »
I think the Migros at Zurich airport must make a killing on chocolate and cheese, with all the travelers bringing back tons of it to people!

I have actually found Frey chocolate here in Germany recently as well. But it is not the classic thick and large red/blue/green bars I remember from 20 years ago. They changed packaging and it is this "Frey Supreme" branded chocolate now. No idea how good that one is  :-//

The following users thanked this post: derree

Online daisizhou

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2022, 02:30:20 pm »
I don't think the power supply you bought has any special features.And general voltage: 0-30V. Current 0-5A adjustable power supply no difference.The unit price is very expensive, I think the price is not high.
This kind of power supply is generally very cheap in China.
daisizhou#sina.com #=@

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2022, 02:51:23 pm »
Yes, this model fulfills basic needs and for the price tag (shipping the weights and correct taxing also costs money) it is considered a solid choice amongst other PSU in the same price range.

There can be lots of reasons to buy within EU from a reputable company, including getting support/advice what to choose and in case of warranty issues, some help to get it settled- so fpr the first "real" PSU, I would say it is a valid choice to do so.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2022, 03:02:41 pm »
I have actually found Frey chocolate here in Germany recently as well. But it is not the classic thick and large red/blue/green bars I remember from 20 years ago. They changed packaging and it is this "Frey Supreme" branded chocolate now. No idea how good that one is  :-//
That’s not replacement packaging, it’s Frey’s premium line, which they sell abroad. (Even Target in USA carried it for a while.) The classic bars are still sold at Migros. (Maybe abroad as well, but I’m not sure.)

The following users thanked this post: derree

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2022, 07:28:21 pm »
That’s not replacement packaging, it’s Frey’s premium line, which they sell abroad. (Even Target in USA carried it for a while.) The classic bars are still sold at Migros. (Maybe abroad as well, but I’m not sure.)

Ah okay. I thought they have replaced it because even their website doesn't show any trace of the classic "Migros" bars that I remember. I have tried this new one today, it is not bad but not quite the same thing :(

I guess I will need to jump in the car and go raid the nearest Migros when I go to the Friedrichshaven HAM radio  exhibition in a few weeks.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2022, 07:38:21 pm »
They’ve redone their packaging over the years but the core products remain.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf