Author Topic: Question related to Oscilloscope HV probes  (Read 5170 times)

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Question related to Oscilloscope HV probes
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 08:13:00 am »
I have the Hantek 100x probes. Now that I have a good functino gen, I should compare all my probes, but I don't have real coax, or accesories like terminators yet......I should order some next week.

Offline Frank_MVTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
RE:Question related to Oscilloscope HV probes
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2020, 07:09:49 pm »
Hello,

Today I adjusted my new Testec TT-HV250 probes.
At NF I can adjust a good square wave signal, but at 1MHz you can see clear overshoots with all my 3 probes.
Now I think about whether I should keep them or exchange them.
Maybe a Staeubli probe does better here ?

What do you think ?

It has been mentioned here before, but I have now also noticed that when I touch the red BNC connector of the probe, I can see clear interference that overlays the measurement signal.

Br,
Frank
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 07:13:41 pm by Frank_MV »

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: RE:Question related to Oscilloscope HV probes
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2020, 09:09:03 pm »
What do you think ?

That is the result I would expect if the ground lead is too long.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: RE:Question related to Oscilloscope HV probes
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2020, 09:26:13 pm »
What do you think ?

It has been mentioned here before, but I have now also noticed that when I touch the red BNC connector of the probe, I can see clear interference that overlays the measurement signal.

Once you connect test leads, probes, whatever, they become part of your circuit.  Here you have some ~150MHz ringing.  It doesn't mean you probes are 'bad', it just means that your new circuit has some ringing--perhaps for the reason David Hess mentions.  Once you start getting up into these frequencies, things start getting trickier.  As for touching the BNC, I'm not sure why it would be that touchy, but perhaps there is some issue in your whole ground setup.  Post a photo maybe?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2020, 04:38:50 pm »
Enclosed is my measurement setup. It is only the calibration of my HV probe at 1MHZ at my RTB2004.
Am I possibly doing something wrong ?

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2020, 05:14:18 pm »
Enclosed is my measurement setup. It is only the calibration of my HV probe at 1MHZ at my RTB2004.

Do the probes included retractable test hooks?  I would try using a test hook and removing the ground lead entirely, as in not attached to the probe or the scope.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2020, 05:42:16 pm »
Yes, retractable test hooks is included but nothing changes.
The overshoot becomes smaller when I touch the test cable with my hand.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2020, 05:46:23 pm »
My Rohde & Schwarz probes still have 2 additional adjustment trimmers for RF compensation but the Testec has this trimmers not.

I still have a week to replace these probes at my distributeur - but which ones ?
I need HV probes for my tube amps
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 05:49:52 pm by Frank_MV »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2020, 06:12:04 pm »

The only thing that matters is the transition time; the period is completely irrelevant.
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/digital-signal-integrity-and-bandwidth-signals-risetime-is-important-period-is-irrelevant/

If the probe has, say, a 15pF tip capacitance (C), and your ground lead is 150mm long (i.e. ~120nH inductance (L)), then the LC will resonate/ring at ~100MHz.
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/scope-probe-accessory-improves-signal-fidelity/

The solution is to either reduce the tip capacitance (difficult!) or have a shorter ground lead (easy).
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/scope-probe-accessory-higher-frequency-results/ but there are other techniques.

Also work out the impedance of 15pF at 100MHz, and you will see your "high impedance" probe is not high impedance :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2020, 10:18:03 am »
This time I only used the ground cable for the connection to the oscilloscope, and it looks the same as yours.

Yes, that ringing is to be expected, for the reason I gave in my previous post.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2020, 03:38:29 pm »
Yes, retractable test hooks is included but nothing changes.
The overshoot becomes smaller when I touch the test cable with my hand.

Is that with no ground lead installed?  OK, then if you have the little groundspring attachment, try that.  Otherwise, if you can hold the probe so that the tip is on the calibrator output and the exposed ground shield part is on the ground, you should be able to eliminate that ringing. If not, then IDK what's going on.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2020, 06:24:35 pm »
There are new findings. I took a look at the accessory bag of the HV250 - unfortunately it doesn't say anywhere what it is needed for.
So I just combined and tried it. The protective cover of the probe can be removed and I pushed the metal sleeve over it, so I don't need a ground cable anymore - so the ground connection is shorter.
And what should I say, there are no more overshoots at 1MHz rectangle - it's really the ground cable.
But is this still a real use case ?
For measuring in circuits I always need a ground wire with clamp.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 06:35:41 am by Frank_MV »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf