Author Topic: Some schadenfreude for you, and some help with a BM869 for me; please :)  (Read 4333 times)

Offline apellyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Probe
So, I bought a BM869 and some other bits and pieces from Franky, who was a pleasure to deal with, as others have noted here. (Thanks mate. Picked it up yesterday.) Being a good global citizen he shipped it without a battery too. Good on ya mate!

Anyway, that's not the funny part. I flicked the range switch around and thought "That's a bit stiff. Better get to hacking that!" And so I did.

I should say here that my dicking around reflects in no way on the quality of the product sold by Franky, or Brymen. I just thought I'd have a hack.

This is why I'd like some help ;D

These springy things are springy. I'm no longer sure where they fit (and not just this one :palm:) so I'm looking for some pics of an un-molested range switch, if anyone has any. No google luck for me today.

Now, I didn't actually get any pictures of the clicky mechanism, but you've seen them before; a ribbed cylinder and a white nylon centre piece with outstretched curly arms that engage in the cylinder's ribs. After shaving a bit off the the curly arms it is easier to turn, but it does not centre nicely on the selected range. This could have been a dick move. It may not have centred nicely before, but I wasn't checking for that in the beginning. I could probably tweak it some more, and I might later, but this isn't my primary concern. Thinking about it though, if anyone could link me to a spare, that'd be nice.

It is back together, and appears to be working, but I'd like some confirmation if anyone can help.

edit: not Franky's fault!  :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:47:46 am by apelly »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Quick image with the selector in the off position.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
Oh no. I'm sorry you received one in that condition :( I swear it worked alright when I tested it (as I do to all units I sell) and didn't notice the stiffness. Let me know if you would like a replacement. I'm going to have to ask you to send this one back (so I can get Brymen to fix it) though.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

• Supporter
  • Probe
Oh no. I'm sorry you received one in that condition :( I swear it worked alright when I tested it (as I do to all units I sell) and didn't notice the stiffness. Let me know if you would like a replacement. I'm going to have to ask you to send this one back (so I can get Brymen to fix it) though.
RELAX!

It's not your fault, or Brymen.

The meter was fine. I just thought I'd hack it.

Franky, I didn't mean to imply you were at fault in any way. Sorry mate. Original post will be edited.

edit: apologise
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:43:16 am by apelly »

• Supporter
  • Probe
Lightages, thank you very much!

I don't suppose you have one of the other side do you?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Damn, I just put it back together. But what you have there looks right.

• Supporter
  • Probe
No worries. Thanks mate.

There's some interesting stuff going on on the PCB though. There are some unconnected bits of trace on the switch, and man, there must be a thousand ways to assemble the bloody thing. Looks like one switch suits all meters.

Changing the subject slightly, any idea what uses the unpopulated up/down buttons on the BM869?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
The other two button positions are used on the BM52X logging meters. I have the BM525 too!

• Supporter
  • Probe
Ah. Same top board on multiple meters too.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Looks like one switch suits all meters.
Same switch in my BM857 FWIW.

• Supporter
  • Probe
I emailed Brymen to try and secure a replacement part. Received it today. Bloody legends! Couldn't ask for better service really.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
I emailed Brymen to try and secure a replacement part. Received it today. Bloody legends! Couldn't ask for better service really.

Yes, they are a bunch of really responsive and helpful people. It doesn't seem to matter where you buy your meter from either, new or used. They care about their end users.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf