Author Topic: HP 5005A A6 Pod  (Read 155 times)

Offline Mick BTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
HP 5005A A6 Pod
« on: Yesterday at 06:59:54 pm »
 :clap: I did it! my HP 5005A is alive. That was not fun, but in the end the 3 coax cables were successfully replace with RG316 and a sheath from an old O2 sensor out of one of my Saabs.
After putting it together there were error messages E18 & E15 this turned out to be the ribbon cables connecting the 3 boards together, after reseating them a few times no errors. As far as I've tested is the quick test as far as the test leads go there supposed to measure approximately 100K all 3 are 98.7 ohms winner winner chicken dinner!
Now I can get back to testing the HP 8116A's before I was so rudely interrupted by a faulty coax cable.

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP 5005A A6 Pod
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:02:36 pm »
Hello all, I spoke to soon saying I was finished with replacing the coax cable to the timing pod of the HP 5005A. I read the manual from cover to cover, and it appears some calibration is in order, at least some checking. Just guessing and I was tired, but my comprehension through that manual was only about 30%. I have a lot more reading, and things to look up before tweaking anything in the HP 5005A. I wonder if I have the right gear to even attempt this. HP didn't help using their 5036A Micro Processor Lab and a Pulse Gen. 100MHz with <2ns transition, I am quite sure I don't have these things or even a 300V power supply, and not likely to ever have them. I am hoping I can look at the input compensation and see if changing the coax affected the adjustments. If so, I will need a pulse gen that is fast and adjustable to the likes of HP8007B. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, it can't cost BIG money either.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:16:36 pm »
Leo Bodnar has a very fast pulse generator that is priced reasonably - https://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124&products_id=375&zenid=d7c585c1711b14e51112878a16ca6e92

That and the other bits for adjustments in Table 1-2 should be all you need (assuming that your repairs are such that they can be adjusted). I have a 5005B around here somewhere if I can help with measurements of that...

TonyG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:42:58 pm »

Posted by: Tony_G
on: Yesterday at 05:16:36 pm
 Leo Bodnar has a very fast pulse generator that is priced reasonably -https://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124&products_id=375&zenid=d7c585c1711b14e51112878a16ca6e92

Hi Tony, thanks for getting back to me. I followed your link to Leo Bodnar and the fast pulser <30ps it is sold out, and <40ps is obsolete NA. I also (bear in mind) am really new at this. I was wondering how to use just a fast pulse generator like that, the instructions for adjusting INPUT COMPENSTATION Pg 5-1 ~ 5-7 are calling for a generator that has adjustments like an OFFSET VERNIER to bring the comparators into alignment, so to speak. Would you know how to do this just using that Pulser if one comes available?
Also, it's my understanding the only difference between the HP 500A & B is the B can be programed, correct? So, you having a working one would certainly be helpful, should I want or need to get into this deeper.
Thanks, Mick

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf