Author Topic: HP 3435A Extreme Makeover  (Read 23747 times)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
Re: HP 3435A Extreme Makeover
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 02:26:56 am »
Looks really nice, well done.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 03:41:00 pm »
+1 excellent job  :-+

Offline rtoi

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 12:47:47 am »
I just soldered new battery wires in my 3435a. The thru-hole is large and I didn't have the small plastic pieces: they would have prevented the new wire to "fall through" the hole while soldering.

Online xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 01:59:10 am »
I just soldered new battery wires in my 3435a. The thru-hole is large and I didn't have the small plastic pieces: they would have prevented the new wire to "fall through" the hole while soldering.

Well ... interesting idea. I'll have to think about that.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 02:46:18 am »
Very nice job xrunner.

One question: did you clean up the boards somehow or they were already looking that good? If you cleaned them, how did you do it?

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 07:48:54 am »
This device doesn't have a fan, or ventilation openings. So while it might not be dust-proof in an IP code sense, very little dust gets in. Gold plated or flashed PCBs will look pristine for many decades, maybe even centuries, when stored dry.

Offline schopi68

• Regular Contributor
    • My stuff page
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 09:41:52 am »

What purpose does the little plastic washer serve?

as there's still no answer: This washer ensures that the wire isolation has enough distance to the solder joint during soldering.

Online xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 12:06:02 pm »
This device doesn't have a fan, or ventilation openings. So while it might not be dust-proof in an IP code sense, very little dust gets in. Gold plated or flashed PCBs will look pristine for many decades, maybe even centuries, when stored dry.
Right - the case is totally enclosed. One of these meters came to me smelling like nicotine and was very nasty on the outside, but inside it was clean. Looked just like it came off the factory floor.

as there's still no answer: This washer ensures that the wire isolation has enough distance to the solder joint during soldering.

But why this wire (there's also one more on that board that has a washer)? There are so many more wires in that unit that don't have washers.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 12:09:54 pm »
Right - the case is totally enclosed. One of these meters came to me smelling like nicotine and was very nasty on the outside, but inside it was clean. Looked just like it came off the factory floor.
Ahh OK, yeah I'm working on a PSU (that has a fan) so it's much worse... I did some superficial cleaning to take the bulk of the dust, but am considering a more thorough clean up.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 12:22:07 pm »
I like seeing people do rebuilds etc , thats a nice job. Sadly anything like this costs a fortune in the UK. I did find this one though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Agilent-3435A-Digital-Multimeter-Parts-Repair-/221822107920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a5a0c110
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline rtoi

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2015, 09:39:26 am »
Hi,
I found this battery on a web page. Do you think it would be ok as a replacement ?
http://www.2xpower.com/EnerSys-6V-25Ah-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery_p_266.html#
Thanks,
Renato

Offline djerickson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2021, 04:47:04 pm »
I just completed a repair on a HP 3466A, this guy's big sibling: 4.5 digits. Same case, battery and charger, internal layout, look-and-feel. Even the controller IC is the same.
Check it out at http://www.djerickson.com/hp3466a-dmm/
Youtube video at https://youtu.be/5u8JeFvOjFQ
Enjoy,
Dave

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2021, 06:05:22 pm »
Maybe it would be better to post this as a new thread rather than reviving a six year old thread?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf