Author Topic: HP 3410A AC Microvoltmeter Restoration ** In operation added**  (Read 34848 times)

Offline robrenzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
Re: HP 3410A AC Microvoltmeter Restoration ** In operation added**
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2014, 12:37:51 pm »
Thanks again all.

@ saturation,  glad to see you are still around :-+

robrenz or anyone else,

Where can a guy buy toluene by the ounce? The only way I can find it on-line or in Home Depot is by the gallon.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

If you are getting the Toluene based on it getting the permanent marker off the vinyl coated covers as shown in this restoration be warned. It is no magic bullet and it doesn't just remove the marker and leave undamaged vinyl behind. It takes an extreme amount of care, technique and patience to get what was shown here. AND it does not work on all vinyl as it does not work on Power Designs PS vinyl it dissolves the vinyl too quickly.  I just don't want you spending a lot of money on a gallon because of my recommendation and possibly be very disappointed.

Offline TheRuler8510

• Regular Contributor
  • RF Engineer
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2014, 10:49:48 pm »
Thanks again all.

@ saturation,  glad to see you are still around :-+

Where can a guy buy toluene by the ounce? The only way I can find it on-line or in Home Depot is by the gallon.

If you are getting the Toluene based on it getting the permanent marker off the vinyl coated covers as shown in this restoration be warned. It is no magic bullet and it doesn't just remove the marker and leave undamaged vinyl behind. It takes an extreme amount of care, technique and patience to get what was shown here. AND it does not work on all vinyl as it does not work on Power Designs PS vinyl it dissolves the vinyl too quickly.  I just don't want you spending a lot of money on a gallon because of my recommendation and possibly be very disappointed.

Understood, Thanks!

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
--Friederich Nietzsche

Offline Wessneroo

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2014, 03:49:57 pm »
Any recommendations for a solution to refinish the frequency dial for someone who doesn't have access to bead blasting? Great restoration, thanks for sharing!

Offline robrenzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2014, 05:12:29 pm »
Most automotive machine shops have a glass bead unit.  I am sure most would blast a dial for you for a cup of coffee or a beer.  There is nothing else I know of that gives that type of finish. If they give you a choice you want to use finer glass bead size and around 40 psi.

Offline Joule Thief

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2014, 11:45:24 am »
If you have a small air compressor at home, you may want to try a home-made "soda" blaster. Think air gun shooting out baking soda. I use this combo to clean carburetors in lawn and garden equipment. After blasting the carb, a soak in water dissolves the left over baking soda. The finish on the metal is very similar to bead blasting. YouTube has several videos on home made soda blasters. 
Perturb and observe.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2014, 01:36:50 pm »
@robrez: Wow, I am absolutely blown away by the restorations you've done.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HP 3410A AC Microvoltmeter Restoration
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2016, 08:17:17 pm »
Simichrome was used on all the metal. Fabric buff on the outside and a very hard felt bob with a hole drilled in it to clear the center of the BNC and the OD. turned to a snug fit in the BNC ID. Both used at slow speed in a flexible shaft.

The results are beautiful, but is there cause for concern that this may drive particles of metal or polishing agent into the soft teflon, affecting its electrical properties?

I've always been too chicken to use more than some isopropanol and a swab on RF or high-impedance connectors.

Offline Priestblood

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2016, 05:35:46 pm »
Excellent restoration top class .Very nice to see how you did it .what was the hardest part to do.

Regards
Wayne

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf