Author Topic: Probe holders  (Read 3292 times)

Offline luis garciaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Probe holders
« on: May 18, 2023, 06:55:57 pm »
Which probe holders are you people using? if any.
I own a couple of old Tek and Yoko holders that are getting older. I lost some parts too.
Even on ebay these are pretty expensive so I am looking at the cheap brands or no-brand.
Anyone may recommend a brand or place to buy some not too expensive holder?
BTW, do these holders that are advertised as "one-hand"work?

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Probe holders
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 07:26:42 pm »
Like this? Or this? Or this?

Or do you mean something to hold the probes when in use? I have a generic clamp I use for this purpose and an adjustable indicator stand when I need more control. Both of those are generic, though.

Lots of probes need holding.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 10:30:59 pm »
Sorry, not clear enough. I mean probe stands or probe holders, that you use when you want to keep the point of the probe in a fixed test point, without using your hands.

For instance, this is one i own:

https://tmi.yokogawa.com/es/solutions/products/oscilloscopes/oscilloscope-accessories/701919-probe-stand/

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 11:43:30 pm »
Those spider boards look cool! It slightly bothers me that they always seem to be single ended, but I suppose if you want a coax connection you really need to step up to a probe station or solder-on micro-coax anyway.

If you want a cheap probe holder, search for "dial indicator holder" on aliexpress, there are a bunch for $10. They usually have a magnetic base because they are mostly used by machinists who need to hold dial indicators at a fixed position relative to a metal base plate, but they work quite well for oscilloscope probes too.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 03:10:45 am »

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 03:41:20 am »
I found use from this little guy

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 09:04:39 am »
I have used, fabricated and knocked up quite a few over the years, though I did find these four years ago, they are not the aliexpress type of purchase, however they really do work expectionally well and hold a multitue of different manufactures scope probes, build quality is superb & ultra stable, compared to the offerings from Tek etc are a far more attractive option cost wise.
No affliation to the company I just like the products.

https://www.probeholder.com/

Recent use of one during the testing of the R&S MX04

Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 10:40:15 pm »
Very nice holders, and not too expensive.
BTW, by your pictures it seems you have replaced the Lecroy 12bit with a new RSMXO. What do you think about the RS compared to Lecroy ? If it is not an inconvenient question!

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 09:43:25 am »
Hello Luis

The probe holders are spot on and as you say an almost sensible outlay.

R&S UK have been kind enough to send me a fully loaded MX04 for my opinion as I have been Lecroy for a few years and felt I would well placed to offer some thoughts being a long term 12bit scope user.

As I have mentioned in the MX04 thread R&S have come on leaps and bounds since entering the scope market pretty late compared to the 'Holy Trinity' of Oscilloscopes & digitizers. Their RF test equipment is pretty much the gold standard (Keysight makes some decent equipment in this area as well).

Currently there is a slew of 12 bits models hitting the market place from more manufacturers and some available at quite modest costings as well, so its getting to be quite a crowded arena. Some are more preferable than others.

R&S have long term connections here in the UK with academic institutions / blue chip companies / Government facilities it goes back a long way, so imho they are wishing to cement their offerings to suit a broader range of potential clientele that would usually consider R&S as top pick from test equipment, so having a genuine 12 bit ADC scope gives them more credence in this reguard.

I would like to say that R&S UK have always been very professional and accomidating with evaluation products and loan periods, plus any questions have been always very well respended to. You don't stay in business for 70 years (and privately owned still!) for producing just merely adiquate products and give mediocre service.

To you question has the Lecroy been replaced? you can read my finial instalment and roundup of the MX04 in the next week or two on that thread.

Sighound
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 12:06:38 pm by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2023, 11:06:09 am »
I use my precision plate and arm.
The Keysight probes fit perfectly in the opening for the micrometer dial.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2023, 06:20:23 pm »
https://www.probeholder.com/

Yes, more than often, more hands are required and a good contact to the DUT :phew:

It looks as only rounded probes supported, as active LeCroy (as WM, SDA, DDA) are edged based and may destroy the expensive fine part.

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2023, 07:07:37 pm »
Hpw

I can see your point what I can report is they work well with following probes ZD/DL10/ZS/RP4030 and the browser tips with zero damage.

The DH range of probes I would say no but they do come with a probe body holder anyway (I would hope so for the cost!)

Online hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2023, 07:58:08 am »
Hpw

I can see your point what I can report is they work well with following probes ZD/DL10/ZS/RP4030 and the browser tips with zero damage.

I mean the much older probes as on picture...

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2023, 05:37:22 pm »

I mean the much older probes as on picture...

Hello Hpw

ZS probes are no problem with these holders see images below I have a fair few of these ZS series and even the 4000 is well held with no damage in the last four years. Also a ZS2500 and a DL-10 HCM can be seen in the image.

The other probes you mentioned sorry I do not have so I can't comment. Though the ZS4000 body is biggest I would suggest you would wish to use with the probe holder as it is.

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 06:33:05 am »
I really like both the PCB holder and the probe holder here https://sensepeek.com/

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2023, 06:56:51 am »
I made my own with some aliexpress gooseneck, clothespin and a 3D printed box filled with cement.  :-/O

STL
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 08:08:49 pm by Jeroen3 »

The following users thanked this post: Sighound36

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2023, 07:12:34 am »
I use those, expensive but of high quality.
https://sensepeek.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf