Author Topic: PC USB logic analyzer  (Read 6453 times)

Offline houlyTopic starter

• Contributor
PC USB logic analyzer
« on: September 01, 2013, 10:06:55 am »
Hello all,
I would want to buy a logic analyzer and I don't really know the difference between thoses models :

ZEROPLUS LAP-C(16128) and Logic century LAP-C(16128+) ?

Do you think ZEROPLUS is a good choice ? and do you know thoses models ? what are the differences ?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english

regards
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:10:19 am by houly »

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
Re: PC USB logic analyzer
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:02:15 am »
Hi,
The first one is best.

Because we don't know your requirements.

PS Have you tried searching this Forum???
If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:26:52 am »
Hi Larry42,
Why does the first is the best one ? the software seems to be better on the second one ? and there seems to be an output in order to trig a scope (not present on the first one).

I didn't find any post on the forum for the second one.

Could you please tell me why do you think that the first one the best ?

Thanks for your help

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:49:35 am »
It totally depends on what your going to be using it for.

It's like asking us if a car is better then a truck.  Better at what?

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 06:26:26 am »
OK,
I'm looking for a logic analyzer which is able to decode and trig some of protocols (UART, I2C, I2S, SPI)... and could also have an output trigger in order to trig my analog scope.
I'm currently interesting in another one : Acute TL2136B.
regards

Offline leafi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:55:39 pm »
I have a Salaea logic 16. It will not have the speed of the Acute with all of the channels on but it has virtually unlimited capture memory which I like and use. I do not think it has a trigger out though if you need that. It should also be much cheaper than the Acute.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:25:09 am »
The Salaea  is wrth it for the money - plus they are always updating it.  It's made by a small company that has an interesing blog too.  They're not an open source company - but they share as much as they can.  http://blog.saleae.com/

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:39:20 am »
The Salaea  is wrth it for the money - plus they are always updating it.  It's made by a small company that has an interesing blog too.  They're not an open source company - but they share as much as they can.  http://blog.saleae.com/

I beg to differ, George ;) The slow (stalled?) update cycle is my biggest gripe with Saleae guys. The official software version is at 1.1.15 since eons (well, in software lifecycle terms, at least) and the most recent 1.1.17 beta was released on April, 1st.

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:34:49 am »
Hello logic analyser geeks  :scared:

I read most of post on this board and other as well but I'm not wiser  :'(

I would like as well to invest in a USB logic analyser, I don't have the place to put a monster on my bench that cannot decode protocols.

My budget for this is +/- 500$  |O

It should be fast enough to fetch data in a modern system (Arm, PIC etc ...)  :bullshit:

It should be able to trigger on packet of serial communication like can etc ...  :-+

Should have enough memory to work on a decent way  :box:

Maybe I'm looking for a sheep with 5 legs  :-DD

If you have any idea please be so kind to advice me any many other with the same dilema.

eurofox
eurofox

Offline Tasman

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 11:00:38 am »
Take a look at the thread "entry level logic analyser" on this forum.  I use and highly recommend the Intronix Logicport ( http://www.pctestinstruments.com), it is reasonably priced, has 32 channels sampling at 500MHz, comprehensive interpreters etc.  I also have a Saleae Logic 8, which is handy but does not have the triggering capability and channels of the Logicport.

alm

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 03:27:26 pm »
It should be fast enough to fetch data in a modern system (Arm, PIC etc ...)  :bullshit:
What kind of PIC/ARM? A 16-bit PIC, low-end Cortex M0, or low end PIC32 might have SPI at a few MHz as its fastest bus, which even a USB streamer like the Saleae Logic would support. A high-end PIC32 or Cortex M4 might support USB 2 high speed, requiring something faster than the Intronix LogicPort.

It should be able to trigger on packet of serial communication like can etc ...  :-+
None of the sub-$500 logic analyzers can do that, as fas as I know. Usually triggering is limited to a parallel data pattern with maybe two levels at best (Intronix LogicPort, ASIX Omega LA). The Open Logic Sniffer has implemented advanced triggering in its bitstream a couple of years ago, but support for it in the PC software was still missing last time I checked.

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:46:05 pm »

None of the sub-$500 logic analyzers can do that, as fas as I know. Usually triggering is limited to a parallel data pattern with maybe two levels at best (Intronix LogicPort, ASIX Omega LA). The Open Logic Sniffer has implemented advanced triggering in its bitstream a couple of years ago, but support for it in the PC software was still missing last time I checked.
[/quote]

The Intronix I know and ASIX is not really appealing.
Do you know a type who supporting triggering on bitstream protocols and how much it cost?

eurofox
eurofox

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf