Author Topic: Siglent 3303x-e power supply: some How To ??s.  (Read 3890 times)

Offline n3mmrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Siglent 3303x-e power supply: some How To ??s.
« on: February 28, 2019, 08:15:34 am »
Just got my new 3303x-e.
Hmm.
It does its basic functions the way it should.

Serial mode is not very well documented: it seems this is the only way to use this PS as a dual tracking ±V supply, but the manual makes no mention of this.
Serial mode even seems to connect ch+ to ch2- internally.
Still, people who should know say this is not recommended!
Why not?

The EasyPower SW leaves me wondering.

Is there an easy way to write a sequence of SCPI commands and send to the scope?
Is there a recommended way to write a program, in python maybe, that can send commands to the PS and then act according to values read from the PS? Maybe even some template to be used in some development tool?

EasyPower can find the scope in the usb space, but with a network connection the sw cannot even remember the ip address between two connect attempts.

The GUI is not very well thought out, and adds very little that could be considered "useful additions" over and above just reaching for the PS front panel.
Can the software do logging? Can it read the "waveform display"(????) data from the PS?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent 3303x-e power supply: some How To ??s.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 09:59:10 am »
Just got my new 3303x-e.
Hmm.
It does its basic functions the way it should.

Serial mode is not very well documented: it seems this is the only way to use this PS as a dual tracking ±V supply, but the manual makes no mention of this.
Why not?
The terminal configuration for serial mode is printed on the front panel below the output terminals and the Quick Start manual would seem clear enough for most.
It says:
In the series mode, CH1 and CH2 are linked internally into one channel which is controlled by CH1.
Further:
3. Set voltage and current value:
a) Press “1” button to select the channel 1
b) Move the cursor through direction button to select the wanted parameter(voltage, current),
c) Press “Fine” to select the digit position and then revolve the multi-function knob to change the corresponding parameter.
4. Press “on/off” button corresponding CH1 to turn on the output

Note, mine:
Channel 1 becomes the master channel in both series and parallel modes.
The EasyPower SW leaves me wondering.

Is there an easy way to write a sequence of SCPI commands and send to the scope?
Is there a recommended way to write a program, in python maybe, that can send commands to the PS and then act according to values read from the PS? Maybe even some template to be used in some development tool?
SCPI command syntax, examples and the command list start in Ch 3, p34/45 of the Quick Start.
https://www.siglenteu.com/download/2512/
EasyPower can find the scope in the usb space, but with a network connection the sw cannot even remember the ip address between two connect attempts.
Did you follow the LAN setting instructions on p24/45 ?
Which versions of both firmware and EasyPower do you have ?
SPD3303X-E Firmware - 1.01.01.02.05 https://www.siglenteu.com/download/4433/
EasyPower - 1.01.01.16 https://www.siglenteu.com/download/4323/
Can the software do logging?
Have a look here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/this-graph-brings-tears-to-my-eye/

Jump into that thread and ask member HendriXML for some samples of his scripts.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 11:13:38 am »
The thing that is not mentioned concerning serial mode in the manual is that the ch1+/ch2- terminals could be used as a centre terminal in a tracking ±30V tracking supply.
Since I have a need for just that, I'd like to know if using serial mode like that is advisable.

Why do you give me a link to a QSG with a (very incomplete) SCPI command list when I ask how to construct a way to automate using the power supply by writing a program or some other way?

Yes I followed the QSG instructions on IP, p16, I think,  and software and firmware are both current as of today.

I'll jump in and ask, yes! Thanks.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 07:27:05 pm »
The thing that is not mentioned concerning serial mode in the manual is that the ch1+/ch2- terminals could be used as a centre terminal in a tracking ±30V tracking supply.
Since I have a need for just that, I'd like to know if using serial mode like that is advisable.
I'll do some research on this ^.

Why do you give me a link to a QSG with a (very incomplete) SCPI command list when I ask how to construct a way to automate using the power supply by writing a program or some other way?
The SCPI command set in the QSG are the only ones available AFAIK.

Yes I followed the QSG instructions on IP, p16, I think,  and software and firmware are both current as of today.
Hmm, it shouldn't be dropping you LAN settings. I'll get a unit out and check these couple of things.......gimme a couple of days.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 06:23:24 am »
The SCPI command set in the QSG are the only ones available AFAIK.

But I was asking about a suitable method or tool to send complex scpi command sequences to the 3303! Or some way to script scpi to control the 3303.

Offline vidya31

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 11:37:53 am »
Really don't have any idea

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 12:47:57 pm »
I myself now think NI-VISA+Python+PyVisa and writing in Python would be a good way.
Python could possibly manage doing things like graphing stuff, too.
I'm not well versed in Python, but supposedly it's not too difficult for someone that used to write C and shellscripts.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 04:21:48 pm »
Why not?

Perhaps, people had some bad experience with combining two (or more) outputs on unit that does not comes with "balancing" function accomplished in hardware or firmware. If you have a nerve to listen to my voice feel free to check this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?Ukn1K1G0pJU

In short, one could expect troubles when PSU has to change mode of operation from CV to CC when coupled in series or vice versa when coupled in parallel.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 12:19:11 pm »
I myself now think NI-VISA+Python+PyVisa and writing in Python would be a good way.
Python could possibly manage doing things like graphing stuff, too.
I'm not well versed in Python, but supposedly it's not too difficult for someone that used to write C and shellscripts.

I have NI-VISA and EasyPower installed, and I can send a single SCPI command and I see a response come back, but trying Python 3.7.2  64 bits and PyVISA 1.9.1 was a confusing experience.
It worked, then didn't, and then did and then didn't... And that was repeating the same python line using the history mechanism under upArrow in a command window.
Huh?

Error messages were like locating information was missing, or no such resource existed, and other messages indicating strings or values were not what they seemed.

This is on Windows 10.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:46:03 pm by n3mmr »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 01:20:51 pm »
Why not?

Perhaps, people had some bad experience with combining two (or more) outputs on unit that does not comes with "balancing" function accomplished in hardware or firmware. If you have a nerve to listen to my voice feel free to check this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?Ukn1K1G0pJU

In short, one could expect troubles when PSU has to change mode of operation from CV to CC when coupled in series or vice versa when coupled in parallel.

That was a most enlightening video

For a split, tracking and balanced voltage supply, current limiting must be specifically designed to maintain tracking and balance at all times.
And that isn't necessarily the case for a serial mode of a multiple power supply.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 05:46:33 am »
I don't know if my video is of any help to you...

Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf