Author Topic: Anyone use Advantest R3265A Spectrum Analyzer?  (Read 8348 times)

Offline elCapTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Anyone use Advantest R3265A Spectrum Analyzer?
« on: January 15, 2013, 12:32:16 am »
Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a (cheap, used) spectrum analyzer and found the Advantest R3265A. It has a freq range of 100Hz - 8GHz, RBW down to 10Hz, dual trace, EMC measurement functions, AM and FM demod, possible to write BASIC program to be run directly on the analyzer, GPIB and serial connection, and much more.
On paper it looks like a good all round analyzer to me. I especially like the lowest freq and low RBW. I feel the normal lowest freq of 9kHz is too high. Down side is that it doesn't have a tracking generator, but with the connections and functions available it seems possible to connect an external one (for lower freq I might even be able to make one myself :o).

Anybody here used one? How is the quality? What's good and bad?

Manuals can be found here: http://www.advantest.co.jp/products/emi/end_of_sale/manual/en-index_en.shtml
(manual R3265/R3271 Series. Spec start at page 390)

A picture of one: http://www.keisokuki-land.co.jp/images/TTR-1310_1.jpg

Thanks!

Offline martinv

• Contributor
    • mvforum
Re: Anyone use Advantest R3265A Spectrum Analyzer?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:00:10 am »
I have a Advantest R3463 AND and R3465.  I think they are great if they work and as long as they work.  The problem I have is lack of a service manual/schematics.       I sent my R3465 in for a repair estimate (it has lost sensitivity and measured ~15dB low) and they wanted over $6000.00 USD.    The scary thing is the 6000000 old parts inside that can fail at any second after you purchase it :)     

Having 2 really helped me troubleshoot a problem with my R3465 because I could swap most boards, but I only narrowed the problem down.

I have some info, pics and repair attempts related to R3463/R3465, but have heard there are many similarities to the R3265.  Here:
http://martinv.byethost7.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

If you can get it for a low price and it works I think you will be happy.  I was very impressed with all the features of the R3464/R3465.

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:40:53 pm »
Hello, I have an opportunity to buy this R3465 machine, however seller states that battery is dead. Is it possible to calibrate it ? There is only operation manual available with some Calibration chapter, however that dont give me my answer about the battery. Is there some service manual available ? It seems to be not googleable.

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:35:29 pm by razberik »

Offline kipp

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 04:18:44 pm »
Advantest test equipment does not store calibration data in battery-backed ram, they use eeproms.  The battery powered memory only stores configuration information, so it retains its setup across power cycles (like the old days when equipment had mechanical switches).  This is true for every piece of Japanese test equipment I own, not just Advantest.  Without the battery, you'll have to go through all the settings each time you power cycle it, but apart from the inconvenience there is no loss of functionality.  However, replace the battery immediately, and clean the area around it carefully.  The battery will reduce the unit to scrap if allowed to leak.

I don't know about this particular Advantest model, but in general with Advantest equipment one issue you can run into if the battery fails is that if the ram does not contain a valid set of configuration parameters (which it won't) the unit can crash during its boot sequence instead of recognizing the problem and resetting to defaults.  If you search around the internet you can find a document of Advantest reset sequences, i.e., combinations of buttons to hold down during power up to reset the configuration ram.  I needed to do this for an R8430 after replacing its battery.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf