Author Topic: How to rack mount HP Test equipment, ie. HP8644A/B  (Read 2759 times)

Offline tkamiyaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
How to rack mount HP Test equipment, ie. HP8644A/B
« on: December 24, 2017, 06:50:51 pm »
This sounds silly but I can't figure this out.  I looked for pictures also but I can't seem to find what I need.

I have several HP-8644 signal generators (A and B variety) that I want to rack mount.  Some of them came with rack ears, so that far is simple enough.  But how does the side and back get supported?  There does not seem to have a provision for sliding rails or rear supports.  Because of the weight, I can't imagine these can be supported by just the front being bolted to the frame.  How is this done??

Thank you.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
Re: How to rack mount HP Test equipment, ie. HP8644A/B
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 07:59:59 pm »
They generally sit on rails (as compared to middle rails that you see in some PC environments - Here is one from my rack (unfortunately this one is upside down but it is the only picture I had):

You can get proper rails for a test equipment cabinet or you can just use angle iron/aluminium (i ended up using a mix due to the cabinets coming with rails but not enough).

TonyG

Offline tkamiyaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 01:17:59 am »
That makes sense.  Thank you very much.  Photograph was very helpful.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 03:18:20 am »
They generally sit on rails (as compared to middle rails that you see in some PC environments - Here is one from my rack (unfortunately this one is upside down but it is the only picture I had):

You can get proper rails for a test equipment cabinet or you can just use angle iron/aluminium (i ended up using a mix due to the cabinets coming with rails but not enough).

TonyG

That's right-side up. :)  The real HP rack rails have tabs that fit into slots that stabilize the rails in a belt-and-suspenders fashion:

Can't say that I've ever seen a Teflon screw used to mount a rack rail before, but I'd sure want those tabs in place if I did...

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 04:34:24 am »
That's right-side up. :)  The real HP rack rails have tabs that fit into slots that stabilize the rails in a belt-and-suspenders fashion:

Can't say that I've ever seen a Teflon screw used to mount a rack rail before, but I'd sure want those tabs in place if I did...

Yep, I have some rails that have those tabs that hook into the slots on the sides and they do sit that way. However, that rail in the photo is upside down. They were like that in the rack when I got it and yet the gear didn't line up with the HP rack holes on the ears until I flipped them.

I suspect these are either '3rd party' rails or HP changed the layout in the later ones.

I prefer these ones with the tabs to be honest.

TonyG

BTW thanks for your GPIB toolkit really appreciate your work there.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 08:05:24 am »
BTW thanks for your GPIB toolkit really appreciate your work there.

You're very welcome!  :-+

Offline deepskyridge

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 02:10:27 pm »
I used a couple of rails from Navepoint in my small rack here in the LAB.

They work just fine.

Gary

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf