Author Topic: How to promote an USB oscilloscope to individual engineers? I am the Loto instru  (Read 25319 times)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
I have analog discovery, and I find the software passable at best. There are a ton of usability issues. It is functional and does not crash, so that's something in this world, but very annoying at times.
Alex

Offline midix

• Contributor
I got motivated by a few Youtubers who demonstrated the Loto software and compared it to some even worse examples. Loto looked pretty good in comparison, at least for a 50$ scope.

I guess I'll have to save some money for Analog Discovery 2 after I try their software in demo mode, or a Picoscope (2204A or 2205A). That will be my Christmas gift to myself :D

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
I would not say that this is unexpected. I have never seen a PC scope UI that did not suck. They are clearly implemented by programmers that don't actually use those tools. And apparently they are not acting on the user feedback.

The UI in the linked topic is a perfect example. Rotating knobs like this are a perfect example. If you see a PC scope UI with rotating knobs, you can rest assured it will suck.

Yes, I agree 100%.  Someone has the idea that it needs to have the same "look and feel" except "knobs" on a computer screen are a far cry from knobs in the real world.  The grouping of the knobs is almost as important as the "feel" of the knobs. 

I'm going to need to buy a scope in the near future and the Pico scope is the only one that is even close to acceptable so far.
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
The Owon VDS1022I USB oscilloscope has a very useable interface with lots of shortcut keys.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline midix

• Contributor
Loto replied on Youtube. It turns out, you have to hit Stop device button and then, finally, those PC cache thumbnails become available and you can scroll the signal into view. A bit convoluted, but it works. As I understand, that's mostly necessary only for their lower-end models with software triggers because those fail to "focus" the signal into the main view.

Loto also suggested buying one of their models with hardware triggers, but even with a properly focusing trigger you might want to be able to scroll a long signal, and then also you would have to stop the device. I'm not sure why this limitation - why users should be blocked from viewing a cached signal immediately while you are already paused on the trigger anyway.

Well, for now, I can live with that. I wish there was a seamless zooming / panning of the main view instead of the awkward routine "Stop device, click on a thumbnail, and use a scrollbar until the signal is in focus".

Picoscope 7 demo mode feels nice indeed, everything seems intuitive and convenient enough even for a newbie.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf