Author Topic: how to connect sdg2000 to sds1000x hd for bode plot?  (Read 369 times)

tszaboo and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JelbertTopic starter

• Contributor
how to connect sdg2000 to sds1000x hd for bode plot?
« on: August 21, 2024, 11:18:45 am »
Hi,

I am setting up my new SDS1204X HD and I also ordered a SDG2042X to use in combination with the scope. But now I'm looking in the setup of the scope and I can't find a way to connect them both. The SDG2042x still has to arrive so I can't test it live.

In the beginning of march 2024 I talked to the sales guy of Siglent.eu about the SDS800X HD I was back then considering to buy. We talked about connecting the USB AWG but also the SDG1000x to connect to the scope. As far as I can remember it was no problem to connect those instruments to use with bode plot. I did not order my instruments with siglent.eu because he never send my an offerte as he promised.

During the search for the right scope I can remember a tutorial that talked about connecting an SDG1000x via lan to the scope, but it could also have been an SDS2000 or SDS3000.

So can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect an SDG2042X to the SDS1204X HD and how? Or should I cancel the order and get the USB device instead?

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: how to connect sdg2000 to sds1000x hd for bode plot?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 11:37:16 am »
Hi. I did that a few times. You can either connect them with USB, the scope as Type A USB host. Or Ethernet, you have to tell the scope the IP address of the generator.
You connect the generator output to 1 channel (and DUT input), and the DUT output to another channel. Up to 10MHz or so you don't really have to think about reflections. Above that, yes. A BNC to scope probe adapter, BNC T adapters BNC-BNC cables are useful.
You can also mirror CH1 and CH2 on the generator, and use CH2 for the DUT.
IMHO buy the dedicated generator, it's much better performance and usability.

Offline Kawakneurder

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2024, 12:06:08 pm »
So can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect an SDG2042X to the SDS1204X HD and how?
What exactly is the problem, why do you think it wouldn't work the normal way?

There's a couple of great youtube videos that illustrate how you can use a siglent scope for bode plotting, and I cannot see why it would be different for your particular combination of scope/AWG:

Or should I cancel the order and get the USB device instead?
An external AWG can go much higher in frequency, 120Mhz ('hacked') compared to just 25mhz for the USB option. It additionally has 16 bits instead of 14 (although not so relevant for bode plots, as the scope limits the resolution anyway)
An external AWG would also be much more flexible for use in practice, more waveforms, easier to configure, larger amplitude range, better resolution/stability, more flexibility.....

At least in my eyes, the extra money would definitely be worth it. ymmv.

The following users thanked this post: Jelbert

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2024, 12:18:30 pm »
thank you. It does not mention this compatibility in the manual and I was getting worried.

Offline Kawakneurder

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2024, 03:18:09 pm »
thank you. It does not mention this compatibility in the manual and I was getting worried.

I think this is a bit of an 'RTFM moment'  :-/O

SDS1000x-HD User manual, p201:

26. Bode Plot
The SDS1000X HD supports an automatic Bode plot function. This function provides a frequency
response curve of the device-under-test as well as the interface for output sweep parameter control
and data display settings. At this time, either the SIGLENT SAG1021I arbitrary waveform generator
or one of a SIGLENT SDG series arbitrary function generators are supported.

If you want to know how to use it, it also provides a step-by-step guide on configuring the instrument to use it in either USB or LAN mode (and some other nifty tricks related to display and measurements).

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2024, 04:09:47 pm »
RTFM?
I was reading that manual in chapter 28 on the AWG it only mentions the SAG1021.

And on page 23
"6.3 Connecting to External Devices/Systems:
Activate the SDS1000XHD-FG option and connect the SAG1021I USB function / arbitrary waveform generator module to any USB host port on the oscilloscope. The oscilloscope then can control the USB module to output specified waveforms.
Press the WaveGen button on the front panel or touch the screen Utility > Wave Gen to set the waveform."

Maybe Siglent should write a better manual.
And yes it is in the manual if you read the thing from cover to cover.

I was expecting AWG setup related stuf in utility->menu-> I/O
Maybe I'm old fashioned and expect instruments to have a certain logic to the menu structure.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2024, 04:53:39 pm »
"With great products (sometimes) come mediocre manuals" or something like that.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline jasonquin

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:51:18 am »
SDS+SDG is a plug and play solution. There's nothing wrong with the manual
Regards,
Jason Qin

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:16:32 am »
It doesn't matter for Bode plots, that was always supported for free, but I think the FG option in those scopes were made free with the latest firmware.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline simmiv

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:13:47 am »
Siglent has a document detailing the setup for Bode Plot using their SDG series Gens..
One issue I encountered is the fact that my Series 5000 Arb Gen (SDG 5082) doesn't have a "Channel Copy Coupling" ability whereby you can sync the two channels under the control of the Oscilloscope as detailed in the instructions..   So be awere of that with the older series of Siglent ARB's. 

I can still use it to do Bode Plot using one channel and it's still controlled by the Oscilloscope..

Siglent Bode Plot instructions are here: https://siglentna.com/application-note/bode-plot-filter-oscilloscope-generator/..

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:27:00 am »
Siglent has a document detailing the setup for Bode Plot using their SDG series Gens..
One issue I encountered is the fact that my Series 5000 Arb Gen (SDG 5082) doesn't have a "Channel Copy Coupling" ability whereby you can sync the two channels under the control of the Oscilloscope as detailed in the instructions..   
Does the channel coupling function not work when the scope takes control of the arb ?
This was introduced in 5.01.01.15R1 FW in 2015.

Have you the last FW version from 2018 installed ?
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Signal_generator/SDG5000_5.01.01.15R5_EN.zip
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:29:16 am »
Hello,

For USB connection, the USB Device from the generator must be connected to a USB Host from the scope. The supplied USB cable will therefore work.

Best regards
egonotto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf