Author Topic: How is TDS2014 as a starter oscilliscope  (Read 2668 times)

Offline primitiveTopic starter

How is TDS2014 as a starter oscilliscope
« on: December 26, 2020, 02:51:29 pm »
Is getting Tektronix TDS2014 (TDS2025) a great option now? How do they compare to new options like Siglent  SDS1104X-E.

I'm just getting into electronics and plan to do mostly digital circuits with Arduino as well as some low frequency analog work.  I'll follow some online college lab work, which includes some FM radio projects.  As such, I'm targeting a 100MHz 4 channel ones.

Used Tek TDS2014 on eBay go for as little as $450 or so.  They seem to be solid and durable and Tek is praised for UX, though with much lower memory depth than the modern alternatives.

So my question is: how should I evaluate these two options and what aspects should I consider?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: How is TDS2014 as a starter oscilliscope
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 04:04:34 pm »
Those Tektronix scopes are a waste of money compared to what you can buy new from Chinese / Taiwanes manufacturers nowadays. Just check the many 'I need to choose an oscilloscope' threads in this section to get an idea on what is out there. For your purpose buy an oscilloscope which had decoding and good FFT.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 04:07:05 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 05:35:47 pm »
I owned a TDS2014 several years back and had a freebee TDS2012. They are very limited in capability versus modern digital scopes and I would consider it wasted money in purchasing one. Sold each for around $800 on ebay and that was a good day :)

A modern rigol/siglent/etc would provide many more features and modern connectivity and deep memory and protocol decoding and larger high res screen and.... As stated above, spend some time searching previous posts on this subforum.

cheers,
george.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 05:46:18 pm »
Don't forget warranty too.

Although its very unlikely, what if by the time you just powered it up for once, then on the 2nd time, its dead, will you able to cope with that risk, or at least you able to let go and have a good sleep after that.  ;D

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 08:28:23 pm »
Is getting Tektronix TDS2014 (TDS2025) a great option now? How do they compare to new options like Siglent  SDS1104X-E.

I'm just getting into electronics and plan to do mostly digital circuits with Arduino as well as some low frequency analog work.  I'll follow some online college lab work, which includes some FM radio projects.  As such, I'm targeting a 100MHz 4 channel ones.

Used Tek TDS2014 on eBay go for as little as $450 or so.  They seem to be solid and durable and Tek is praised for UX, though with much lower memory depth than the modern alternatives.

So my question is: how should I evaluate these two options and what aspects should I consider?
Some 15 years back when looking for my first DSO USB screenshot save to a USB stick was high on my list of must haves and as well priced 4ch DSO's were not available back then I nabbed a TDS2012B when one appeared on our NZ ebay, Trademe. IIRC I paid some 900NZD for it back then and it was a good scope for its time however after those few years things are very different now and a SDS1104X-E will blow it away in any/all respects.

Sure these modern DSO's are more complex to use beyond basic scope needs and they are certainly a more complete tool that you can grow into as your knowledge and skills develop.
SDS1104X-E is a good DSO and our best seller now when once it was SDS1202X-E as the 4ch model has significantly more capability despite it being a lower BW DSO.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 11:24:40 am »
You'll give up on them when you realize they've only 2500 points of memory

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 03:20:01 am »
You'll give up on them when you realize they've only 2500 points of memory

2500 points would not be so bad except that it only has very basic delay time support and no B trigger.

Automatic measurements will work on a 16 bit processing record so better than many modern instruments.  At least there will be none of that nonsense about measurements changing when the display is changed.

Sample rate is independent of the number of active channels.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf