Author Topic: Hosed by my MSOX-3024A  (Read 12003 times)

Offline mclemens1969Topic starter

• Contributor
Hosed by my MSOX-3024A
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:08:37 am »

1) invest $5000 in a Agilent MSOX scope
2) spend $1500 unlocking software for it

Fast forward past the end of the 3 year warranty. It dies. The magic smoke comes out. It stinks and turns off.

3) They quote me $2250 to repair it. Flat-rate. Doesn't matter the issue.

I'm afraid at this point that pretty much throws my $6500 investment in the garbage.
Any advice?

if it's the line filter board or the SMPS board can they be acquired at lower costs?

Thanks for any guidance
Mike

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: Hosed by my MSOX-3024A
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:05:48 am »
It isn't hard to open it up to access the power supply. Take a peak to see what it looks like.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: mclemens1969

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 04:15:58 am »
You're not the only one to have suffered such failures.....
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-dsox2024-won't-boot/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oh-no!-i'm-never-buying-any-agilent-keysight-equiment-ever-again!/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 04:29:23 am »
Worst case... instead of their $2250 repair.... could I use the SMPS and line filter board from a $~1200 70 mhz "2000X" model?

ANDDDD...... this photo is what I found. I am thinking there is a good chance I could just replace this power supply??
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:47:30 am by mclemens1969 »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 04:43:11 am »
You can buy the original power supply direct from Keysight for ~ 200 USD
Part # 0950-5277
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, mclemens1969, TiN

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 05:36:03 am »
Ouch!
That PSU option replacement sounds reasonable if you didn't want to repair yourself.
That look primary side, so hopefully hasn't taken out anything on the main board.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 05:49:01 am »
I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance you could just repair the thing. I mean really, it's a $5000 scope, you should be capable of repairing a boring low frequency SMPS. ;)

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 05:53:45 am »
I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance you could just repair the thing. I mean really, it's a $5000 scope, you should be capable of repairing a boring low frequency SMPS. ;)

I would gladly try to replace the part on the SMPS. Under that metal plate TO-220 retainer the package is literally exploded. I have no idea what part to put in there.

When stuff blows up like this, what are the chances I replace the SMPS and the second one blows up immediately? Or, is this quite likely just a blown power supply and if i replace that unit it will power up happy again?

Mike
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:55:39 am by mclemens1969 »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 05:55:23 am »

I would gladly try to replace the part on the SMPS. Under that metal plate TO-220 retainer the package is literally exploded. I have no idea what part to put in there.

Mike

High odds the same as the one next to it, if not, the one on the other pair.. You could also take an educated guess from the other part if they're not matching.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 12:38:08 pm »

When stuff blows up like this, what are the chances I replace the SMPS and the second one blows up immediately? Or, is this quite likely just a blown power supply and if i replace that unit it will power up happy again?
The MOSFET/transistor could have been degraded and finally failed. All in all I don't think the problem is any bigger than that. SMPS are current limited so the chance the load causes an SMPS to fail this way are practically zero.
I'd probably take a stab at repairing it just for fun. It seems there are multiple MOSFETs/transistor in some kind of parallel/bridge configuration so looking at the non-broken Q1 through Q4 may give some clues as to which part is a suitable replacement. Maybe you are not the only one so I'd also Google the PSU's model number and see what comes up.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:43:26 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 12:42:57 pm »
The MOSFETs could have been degraded and finally failed. All in all I don't think the problem is any bigger than that. SMPS are current limited so the chance the load causes an SMPS to fail this way are practically zero.

I agree, it's rare to find a well designed, decent quality SMPSU that kills more than itself or that was killed by something on the secondary, besides, it's 'only' $200, taking a chance on that being a waste of money is far better than hacking out several thousand $ on a new 'scope.

Definitely worth taking a multimeter to the power supply connections to make sure there aren't any shorts though.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 05:07:55 pm »
Talk to Daniel from Keysight.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mclemens1969, Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 05:53:19 pm »
OP - and you are located where in the world???

At least in the US the x2000/x3000 series has a 5yr warranty...

cheers,
george.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 06:10:04 pm »
And it even looks like it might be an off the shelf part, you can find Lineage PSUs for sale via a few well known distributors.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 06:56:24 pm »
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue! I also know that out-of-warranty repairs can be expensive. Unfortunately, if it's out of warranty there's not a lot I can do :(. How far out of warranty was it when it broke?

Mike

I would fully expect that it wouldn't blow up again, the power supply doesn't really rely much on other parts of the scope.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 10:06:15 pm »
OP - and you are located where in the world???

At least in the US the x2000/x3000 series has a 5yr warranty...

cheers,
george.

Hello, I am in the USA, but the warranty was 3 yrs. I bought from Newark. Why would I get a short warranty?

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 10:11:15 pm »
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue! I also know that out-of-warranty repairs can be expensive. Unfortunately, if it's out of warranty there's not a lot I can do :(. How far out of warranty was it when it broke?

Mike

I would fully expect that it wouldn't blow up again, the power supply doesn't really rely much on other parts of the scope.

Daniel, can you tell why my warranty was only 3 yrs although I am from the USA?

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 10:37:42 pm »
From what I can find the DSOX2000 series has the 5 year warranty, the DSOX3000 series has a 3 year warranty.
VE7FM

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 12:05:10 am »
From what I can find the DSOX2000 series has the 5 year warranty, the DSOX3000 series has a 3 year warranty.

Yeah, appears you are correct. I have an msox2024 and knew that was 5yr - I bought as a certiprime from the agilent/keysight ebay store and saved a small bundle. Seems crazy that the higher end msox3000 would only be 3yrs....

cheers,
george.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 04:37:00 am »

Actually I think I might be out of the 5 yr mark too... maybe close.

I ordered a replacement SMPS.... it's halfway here already. Serious kudos to Keysights magical phone system. I picked the first phone number I saw on a website. I called it and asked the first person I talked to for a replacement part and he took my order right there and knew all my shipping info already.

So... if I take my multimeter to the SMPS output harness, what kind of resistances are expected and between what.

Thanks for your insights!
Mike in Alaska

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 04:43:06 am »
5 year warranties came after the release of the series, early units only had 3 years warranty.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 11:35:09 am »
So... if I take my multimeter to the SMPS output harness, what kind of resistances are expected and between what.
I'd just hook it up and see what happens. Your PSU probably got killed by a mains surge so a surge protector might be a good investment.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »
I ordered a replacement SMPS.... it's halfway here already.

Maybe once your scope is back up and running with your new PSU you should take a shot at fixing the old one anyway so you have a spare in case this happens again? Should be a fairly straightforward fix...
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 11:56:49 pm »

Maybe once your scope is back up and running with your new PSU you should take a shot at fixing the old one anyway so you have a spare in case this happens again? Should be a fairly straightforward fix...

I will give it a try for sure and report back. The replacement part arrived from keysight today, but they sent me the completely wrong part. (Wrong part #, wrong everything, even though the enclosed invoice specifies the correct part number and name.)

SO..... back on the phone with them. I am glad their service was excellent last time.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 12:19:51 am »

I will give it a try for sure and report back. The replacement part arrived from keysight today, but they sent me the completely wrong part. (Wrong part #, wrong everything, even though the enclosed invoice specifies the correct part number and name.)

SO..... back on the phone with them. I am glad their service was excellent last time.

Well that sucks - did they at least send you something good? :)
VE7FM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf