Author Topic: Hioki DT4282 or Brymen BM869s digital multimeter - which is the best choice?  (Read 43023 times)

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hioki DT4282:
https://www.hioki.com/products/dmm_insulation_clamp/dmm/1431

Brymen BM869s:
http://www.brymen.com/product-html/cata860/Bm860s.htm

The Brymen has 500.000 counts, while the Hioki has only 60.000 counts, still the Hioki is much more expensive. How come?

The build quality is most likely better in the Hioki. Japanese quality outperforms Taiwanese quality :)

Any specific advantages/disadvantages on each of these models, that would make the decision easier?

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
Hioki is sexier too.

I was disappointed they sell you an expensive separate module for connectivity. USB is okay, but IR? Are you serious? What about Bluetooth? They should bundle that shit into the DMM case and use that slot for interesting addons, like the functionality of these LCR/ESR transistor checkers and slots to insert components easily to check them.

I did see some teardowns of Hioki DMMs. They seem to have good quality, but there are some obvious design flaws that some users wrote here (one was about traces fit the probes not being enough isolated, some DMM PCBs even have cutted parts to have extreme isolation).

I also don't understand why they don't get full certifications from other organizations.

They look promising and have good base, but they can do it better. Let's go Hioki! Your country survived lots of nasty shit and advanced more in technology in a short period of time, I'm sure you can kick the ass off Danhaler/Fluke mafia! ;)

Anyway I would buy one if their DMMs were cheaper, but these are made in Japan and I suppose they can't complete in costs with Taiwanese and Chinese fabs.

Despite Hioki have two high precision DMM models with custom IC, they can't go to the precision of uCurrent. Maybe that's too much for a handheld DMM.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 05:47:59 pm by Circuiteromalaguito »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
That Hioki has auto hold and a latched continuity test, but it's also almost 3 times the cost of the Brymen. Personally I'd get a Hioki if it was cheaper.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Well the Hioki has some real advantages over the Brymen. as already mentioned, auto hold is nice to have, most people prefer the latching continuity test, and it uses AA batteries which means it could be easier on the pocket for batteries because you can use rechargeables more easily.

There are things that are better with the Brymen, on the other hand.

It comes down to if you want to spend the extra money for a Hioki. And the price is around twice as much, not three times.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
Well the Hioki has some real advantages over the Brymen. as already mentioned, auto hold is nice to have, most people prefer the latching continuity test, and it uses AA batteries which means it could be easier on the pocket for batteries because you can use rechargeables more easily.

There are things that are better with the Brymen, on the other hand.

It comes down to if you want to spend the extra money for a Hioki. And the price is around twice as much, not three times.

Well, you mention Brymen have better "things", but you don't provide data as facts. This is a geek forum, that should be mandatory to provide in the messages ;)

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Here is a nice video from the Hioki Corporation about their DT4282 digital multimeter :)

Enjoy the music! Very well put together!

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Well, you mention Brymen have better "things", but you don't provide data as facts. This is a geek forum, that should be mandatory to provide in the messages ;)

OK, a few quick things better on the BM869s: Dual temperature, CATIV/1000V, better AC accuracy for most of the bandwidth on volts and current.

The BM869s and the DT4282 go back and forth on accuracy ratings and features. It is not easy to choose between them if they are the same price. So in reality it comes down to what features and specs are the most important, and if the price is what you want to pay for the things that are important to you.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
The Hioki has internal memory (400 data points), shutters on the jacks and a 3 year warranty, which all add to the price.

I like the fast ASIC (0.6s), adjustable backlight auto shut-off (40s or 3 minutes), the fast peak detect (250uS), the optional slow display filter (5 sample average), the auto red backlight used for warnings and visual continuity test and the very low burden voltage (1mV/mA and 100uV/uA).

I don't like the fact that the bar graph is missing and that there is no AC+DC measurement for current (As far as I can tell).

There isn't much difference in voltage and current measurement accuracy on AC signals, except that the bandwidth is higher for the Hioki for AC current (20kHz)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:05:48 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Yeah, hard to pick between them depending on what you want/need. If price is the major concern then we know which one wins! >:D

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:56:54 am by Wytnucls »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Still much more expensive, but that seems to be one of the lowest prices I have seen. TME has the BM869s for 145 GBP plus shipping.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
Wait, the Hioki has no bar graph? At this price? WTF?
for(;;);

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
The Gossen MetraHit 28S, 29S, 30M, don't have a bar graph either. That's also true of their modern high-end meters, like the M249A Energy and M248A Ultra.
High resolution and accuracy meters aren't meant for fast changing signal measurements.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
The Gossen MetraHit 28S, 29S, 30M, don't have a bar graph either. That's also true of their modern high-end meters, like the M249A Energy and M248A Ultra.
High resolution and accuracy meters aren't meant for fast changing signal measurements.

Why not?

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1

Agree bar graph is not a major deciding factor, but its nice to have and definitely at certain cases its handy.

Like Fluke 28X series, it's bar graph updates 30 times/sec and its much more intuitive when observing a relatively fast changing input rather than reading the jumping numbers.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor

Well, the Fluke 87 and the Brymen BM869s have a bar graph. The Brymen has 500.000 counts ... I don't see how high resolution or accuracy would somehow prevent you from adding a bar graph. A bar graph is quite an important feature for a handheld multimeter. I can see how a $40 meter may be missing one, but not a $400 meter.
for(;;);

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
I can only guess that their ADCs were mostly designed for high accuracy combined with high resolution, which requires a slow update rate.
A fast analogue display can be useful in special cases, but probably judged not very important on such instruments.
It could also be a case of available screen real estate for some meters and necessary compromise.
Hioki does have a bar graph on their cheaper meters.
The 500,000 count on the Brymen is a high-res mode, not paired with better accuracy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:18:30 am by Wytnucls »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Still much more expensive, but that seems to be one of the lowest prices I have seen. TME has the BM869s for 145 GBP plus shipping.
After VAT (25%?) and postage to the UK (10GBP?), the difference in price is only 40 quid. Well worth considering for extra safety, internal data storage and 3 year warranty.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:29:22 am by Wytnucls »

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
Well I had my heart set on getting the BM869s, but just spotted the DT4282 Delivered in the UK for around £220...

Decisions!!

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
After VAT (25%?) and postage to the UK (10GBP?), the difference in price is only 40 quid. Well worth considering for extra safety, internal data storage and 3 year warranty.

20% is the vat, I was looking at this from TME, but I found the Hioki from Tester.co.uk which I have used before and easy to send back if it gets a fault.
For me there is about £30 between the two models.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
That's a no brainer, I know which one I would get.  ;)

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor

20% is the vat, I was looking at this from TME, but I found the Hioki from Tester.co.uk which I have used before and easy to send back if it gets a fault.

Take 30 pounds in 3, 5 or even 10years? Your family will probably inherit this meter from you, 30 pounds in this amount of time is just nothing!
Just cut out this weekend beer and you can get the meter! There is no comparison in feeling from a Hioki to a Brymen, its another class (event if the specs of the brymen macth or overcome the Hioki, I'd still go Hioki).

Offline TheBay

• Supporter

Take 30 pounds in 3, 5 or even 10years? Your family will probably inherit this meter from you, 30 pounds in this amount of time is just nothing!
Just cut out this weekend beer and you can get the meter! There is no comparison in feeling from a Hioki to a Brymen, its another class (event if the specs of the brymen macth or overcome the Hioki, I'd still go Hioki).

I don't drink  :-DD

Money isn't the issue, just wasn't sure which one is better, that meter is £220 with a Hioki Voltstick and also a set of 3 CK Pliers! Bargain.
I wish it had a bar graph though. Though just logged in to their site and its £215 - VAT, it's £258 inc Vat meh...

Check out the range on tester.co.uk, over £199 you get the CK pliers set.

Not sure what the difference is with the DT4281 though?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:05:00 pm by TheBay »

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
Basically the DT4281 has no 10A current range, which is a must have, for the 4181 they say:

•   Measures large currents with optional clamp probe (only for DT4281, which has no 10 A terminal for accident prevention)

Get the DT4282

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
FWIW, I've an older Brymen (BM857), and really like it (quality is a lot better than you'd imagine, and compares well to more known brands).

Given the small price difference however, I'd opt for the Hioki* (support and longer warranty alone would be worth the extra funds).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf