Author Topic: Not sure if I should roll the dice on a cheap monitor for a DIY soldering micros  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Cyber AkumaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I am putting together a microscope, mostly for helping with soldering small electronics components and other work, but it will likely be used for more generic purposes too.

Anyway, about the only component I don't have yet is a screen for the whole setup. The camera module, well, it doesn't seem to have a model number but it's a Hayear 2K 1080P module, it outputs 1080p60 over HDMI or USB.

I figured the easiest way to go about this would be to just get a cheap 7 or 10 inch monitor/tv that has HDMI input and a VESA mount. I will be attaching it to an arm intended for connecting a screen to the microscope stand:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832581253048.html 

Most of the ones I can find that are around $60 or less can't do a full 1080p, but that's fine I guess, it's a small screen anyway... and I can always plug it into a TV or actual PC monitor if I really need that resolution/size.

I was looking at this $43 7 inch monitor that does 1024x600 (Seems to be the most common resolution for these small screens):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZD8YS7L/

Although then I saw a 10 inch variant that does 1280x800 for $55:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQRRJ8YN/

However, the reviews for both the 7 and 10 inch aren't that great and even Amazon warns that it's frequently returned... although most of the complaints seem to be from short cables or poor audio, things that are not going to matter at all for what I need it for, some also complained not being able to mount it or that it broke.... I am also worried if 10 inches might be too big and make the stand tip over easily. I just want it to be clear and have a reasonable refresh rate, enough so that it's not a blurry where I can't tell what is happening when I am soldering and moving my hands/solder wand on components.

On top of that, these are clearly just cheap Chinese products, so I was wondering if there is any point on using Amazon for the screen instead of just Aliexpress since I am already ordering the components for the stand from there... other than there are obvious ripoff products there too if I am not being careful... so not sure if it would be a good idea to risk it there, since there are dozens of similar screens that are considerably cheaper than on Amazon (And I mean realistically cheaper, not "Here is a 4K HDR 50 inch monitor for $10 that is most definitely not fake, trust us" cheaper).

Would it be a better idea to get one of those from Amazon? Would it be not as risky and a better idea to get something similar but cheaper from Aliexpress? (Although all the ones I found there were 1024x600). Or would both of these choices get me a blurry and buggy screen that would not be suited for this purpose anyway? Any other recommendations if so?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Do you really want a small monitor?

Probably better off in every way to just get a 2ndhand HDMI computer monitor.
Small 1080P second hand PC monitors under 22 inch are pretty much worthless so should be cheaper than $50
And quality will be better since 1080p.
And you can probably get a well known brand.

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Regular Contributor
I want something I can attach to the microscope stand and have it just be one unit, there is no way a full sized PC monitor will fit, I am worried if even a 10 inch would be too much.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
If size is an issue a optical stereo microscope is a better option.
3D is way better than 2D for soldering.  In 2D reflections often trick you into making the wrong conclusion about solder joints and make things hard to see.
But you already have the camera so are probably not interested in changing now.
It's around US$250 inc shipping for a full on 7x - 45x adjustable zoom stereo microscope with 0.5 barlow lens and light ring.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 07:01:57 am by Psi »

The following users thanked this post: Someone

• Regular Contributor
Those stereo microscopes are far too big and expensive for me (and one of my eyes is much blurrier than the other so I don't think they would help).

I already have just about all the parts for this microscope anyway minus the screen and a few other structural components.

Offline modoran

• Regular Contributor
Just buy a computer monitor or tv of your choice and mount it on their own stand or on the wall. You could also use for other things as well, like looking to schematics or whatever.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
If you have good eyesight (with glasses if applicable), your eye's angular resolution is about 1 arcminute. That corresponds to approx. 0.2 mm at a distance of 0.65 m -- which happens to be the pixel size of a 7" monitor with 1024*600 pixels. So from that perspective, that monitor would not be "too small".

But it does not make sense to get a monitor with a resolution that differs from what the camera puts out. The required interpolation would degrade your image quality unnecessarily. So go for a 1920*1080 monitor by all means, if that's what the camera provides.

With the increased resolution, the monitor should be larger if you don't want your eyes to be the limiting factor. 10" at 50 cm viewing distance, or 14" at 75 cm, would be good ballpark numbers.

The following users thanked this post: Cyber Akuma

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
Have you considered an App on a phone that takes the USB input from your camera. I haven't tried it myself but I've seen videos on Youtube where people have tried it. At least the display will not be too big and should attach to your microscope cameras stand.

Maybe a tablet instead if a phone screen is too small.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
When using a monitor for inspection, in this instance size does matter.
However, I also understand that space limitations are difficult to overcome.

The phone app is a good one. Some phones have amazing close up capabilities.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 02:56:26 pm by schmitt trigger »

• Regular Contributor
But it does not make sense to get a monitor with a resolution that differs from what the camera puts out. The required interpolation would degrade your image quality unnecessarily. So go for a 1920*1080 monitor by all means, if that's what the camera provides.

With the increased resolution, the monitor should be larger if you don't want your eyes to be the limiting factor. 10" at 50 cm viewing distance, or 14" at 75 cm, would be good ballpark numbers.

Yeah I know. Ideally I would want to get a 1920x1080 screen, but none of the ones I found could do that. Considering my phone's screen is just 6 inches but has a 1440 x 3120 screen you would think 1080p in a 7-10 inch screen would not be so hard to find, especially not without getting into triple digit prices.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Ideally I would want to get a 1920x1080 screen, but none of the ones I found could do that. Considering my phone's screen is just 6 inches but has a 1440 x 3120 screen you would think 1080p in a 7-10 inch screen would not be so hard to find, especially not without getting into triple digit prices.

1920 x 1200 seems to be a bit more common in 10" size. I see a few monitors on AliExpress in that format (not very cheap though, ~$100). Hopefully these would be able to display 1920 x 1080 with narrow black stripes at the top and bottom, but without any rescaling.

Offline reboots

• Regular Contributor
    • http://reboots.g-cipher.net
I have had good luck with Aputure brand V-Screen VS-1 FineHD 7" monitors. These were sold for professional photography and video use, and have a true 1920x1200 resolution with good picture quality.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1221493-REG/aputure_vs_1finehd_vs_1_finehd_on_location_7.html

Unfortunately Aputure seems to have gotten out of the monitor business, but you may be able to find a deal on a used screen. I see a few options on eBay for under 100USD.

I recommend investigating the pro video market. Name-brand equipment is very expensive, but there may be generic and knock-off options.

Another approach might be to reuse a surplus iPad screen with a display converter, e.g.:

https://hackaday.com/2014/03/12/an-open-source-ipad-display-adapter/
https://hackaday.com/2019/07/18/put-those-ipad-displays-to-work-with-this-edp-adapter/

I believe there are, or were, inexpensive converter boards for this purpose, but I don't know of any examples off-hand.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
That's ok, isn't it? But our answers are better! ;)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert

Its OK if you let people know, if not you're wasting others time and think little of them.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Regular Contributor

Indeed they are, I am actually getting advice here instead of just basically being attacked for not doing what the people there would have done.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
While I appreciate the OP has one eye better than the other, but as a stereo microscope user I would not like to try assembly or repair of circuit boards without the stereoscopic view.

It is sometimes hard enough coordinating the solder and bit with a stereo view, let alone trying to do the same with a mono view camera.

Lighting is important too, my microscope has a pair of flexible lights.

SJ

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
Unfortunately a stereo microscope may be much less useful to the 7% of those under age 60 who are stereoblind. (I was through age seven.)
-John

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Unfortunately a stereo microscope may be much less useful to the 7% of those under age 60 who are stereoblind. (I was through age seven.)

Yep, if you can't see stereo the advantage of a stereo microscope over a LCD microscope disappear.
Better off with a large TV and camera with good quality macro zoom lens hard mounted above the desk.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf