Author Topic: LeCroy WaveAce 2034 300 MHz Scope Good Deal?  (Read 5042 times)

Offline frostheaveTopic starter

• Contributor
LeCroy WaveAce 2034 300 MHz Scope Good Deal?
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:53:35 pm »
I am definitely not a scope expert but came across this possible deal on a 300 MHz scope on Amazon.

On sale for $492.82 and they have 3 of them with Prime shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094JX5NC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_33?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Maybe someone could take advantage of this deal.  I don't need one and I am in no way affiliated with LeCroy or Amazon.  Just passing on info.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: LeCroy WaveAce 2034 300 MHz Scope Good Deal?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:22:05 pm »
Crap to avoid. Not only rebadged Siglents but also only 12kpts of memory. These scopes are discontinued and it seems someone is offloading the remaining stock.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:40:30 pm »
It's a Siglent SDS1304CFL and at that price a steal for a new 2 GSa/s 300MHz 4 ch DSO.
It does seem LeCroy might be quitting them from their lineup.  :-\
LeCroy have handled these for some years now and a # of their better models are also made by Siglent.

What is confusing is the pricing structure for the 4 models available with the 100 and 300 MHz models well priced but the 70 and 200 MHz models 3x the price.  :wtf:

You can find more about them here:
http://siglentamerica.com/pdxx.aspx?id=58&T=2&tid=1
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ HQ cannot be shared.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 04:43:26 pm »
Thanks tautech.  Your right, quite odd how they have the range of scopes priced.

Do you happen to know if the Lecroy WaveJet 322A is made by Siglent.  It is another scope I am watching on Amazon as it's price continues to drop.  Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094JXGI6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_22?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 05:00:23 pm »
AFAIK that Wavejet 322A is made by Iwatsu. Iwatsu is a good brand but these oscilloscopes are also over 10 years old. None of the Amazon deals you listed so far are good. For example: for the price Amazon asks for the WaveJet 322A you can buy a brand new GW Instek GDS-2204E which has 4 channels, deeper memory and way more features.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 07:27:16 pm »
It seems you're in the market for a LeCroy scope, frostheave, is that so? If yes, you should be aware that the WaveAce and WaveJet series were added to LeCroy's portfolio to benefit from the brand name and lure unsuspecting users into buying overpriced rebadged scopes. While Iwatsu also made the WaveSurfer and WaveRunner devices (of which the WR 6000, WS Xs and WR Xi are especially fine if you can get a good deal), the WaveJet series is too limited for today's consumer expectations and hardware options (USB, Ethernet) are difficult to obtain and/or expensive.

If my assumption is correct, I'd either save up for a "proper" LeCroy (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/361970441081, www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=luvforbooks&_nkw=lecroy) or go for a cheaper brand.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 07:35:17 pm »
www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=luvforbooks&_nkw=lecroy
I hope you are aware that these listings are a scam?  |O It seems there are many similar scam listings like these.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:46:29 pm by nctnico »

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 07:47:42 pm »
Actually, I wasn't. Thanks for pointing that out. How does the scam work?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 08:11:51 pm »
Actually, I wasn't. Thanks for pointing that out. How does the scam work?
They hack Ebay accounts and load these accounts with hundreds of high priced items using a picture as a description telling interested parties to contact the seller  scammer directly instead of bidding. Ofcourse there are always idiots who bid on auctions like these or worse contact the scammer and pay :palm:

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:23:29 pm »
Ahh okay, I did find it fishy that the "seller" asked to contact first before making a bid but people are weird, so I didn't think it could be a scam. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 08:58:53 pm »
AFAIK that Wavejet 322A is made by Iwatsu. Iwatsu is a good brand but these oscilloscopes are also over 10 years old. None of the Amazon deals you listed so far are good. For example: for the price Amazon asks for the WaveJet 322A you can buy a brand new GW Instek GDS-2204E which has 4 channels, deeper memory and way more features.
I have a WaveJet 334 (the pre A model). It is made by Iwatsu and is a very good (if somewhat noisy) scope but it is about 12 years old (I bought it about 4 years ago as a new - old stock). So it doesn't have much memory or fast frame updates or any digital decoding but it is accurate, boots quickly and generally nice to use. It is certainly higher quality than a Siglent based scope (I imagine - I have never used a Siglent based scope).
One thing I really like about it is the equivalent time sampling which can give really nice waveforms where they are repetitive (100GS/s). A lot of scopes used to have this but now I think it is much less common as digital interpolation is used.
I agree with nctnico that the price on Amazon is expensive but if you get a chance to get one cheap I'd say it was still a good scope to have for analogue work.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:05:45 pm by jpb »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 10:10:48 pm »
Thanks tautech.  Your right, quite odd how they have the range of scopes priced.
For some time the Siglent prices have been much better.

Do you happen to know if the Lecroy WaveJet 322A is made by Siglent.  It is another scope I am watching on Amazon as it's price continues to drop.

As others have explained it isn't.
Not overly familiar with their model ranges other than their WS3000 range which is a Siglent SDS3000 but Siglent and Lecroy have an agreement that LeCroy have western marketing ownership for these models.
I had a play with one at the factory a couple of years back, nice scope, massive display but sadly shared channel controls unlike all other current Siglent scopes.  :-//
A hunt for the SDS3000 thread here will find it.  ;)

There's another seemly new LeCroy and somebody asked about it recently and I've had confirmation it's another LeCroy/Siglent joint venture. Can't recall the model # sorry.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ HQ cannot be shared.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 07:28:07 am »
the wavesurfer 510?
http://teledynelecroy.com/oscilloscope/oscilloscopeseries.aspx?mseries=549

that one did look like a siglent :D

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 09:41:58 am »
the wavesurfer 510?
http://teledynelecroy.com/oscilloscope/oscilloscopeseries.aspx?mseries=549
The datasheet looks recent. Maybe this scope is why a Lecroy reseller called me last week. I was in a hurry and told him not to bother me with scopes which have no peak-detect (the Wavesurfer 510 doesn't have that).

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 10:33:55 am »
I was in a hurry and told him not to bother me with scopes which have no peak-detect (the Wavesurfer 510 doesn't have that).
That is a surprising omission. My rather basic WaveJet has peak detect (the choices are normal, averaging and peak-detect) but I think it probably using analogue interpolation whilst perhaps more modern designs always measure at fixed intervals and then do post-processing so cannot adjust the timing to hit peaks between sample points.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 12:32:28 pm »
Earlier on the rebadges Lecroy used had peak detect but later on Lecroy decided to do without peak detect. IMHO that is a wrong decission because peak-detect is invaluable for checking whether a slow process really is a slow process without nasty oscillations.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 05:23:18 pm »
Thanks for all your replies!  That is a lot of good info that I was not aware of.

As far as looking for a Lecroy scope in particular, it isn't that I have to have a Lecroy, it's that Amazon has had large price drops on them recently.  Basically, I am looking for a higher end scope at a REALLY good price.  I'm in no rush and willing to wait for a deal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf