Author Topic: Help choosing DSO :) MSO5000 ?  (Read 14640 times)

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
Re: Help choosing DSO :) MSO5000 ?
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2022, 03:02:39 pm »
I had the same issue when I was looking for a new scope, I saw the SDS2104X+ and was considering buying it, then I heard about the MSO5000 and compared all the pros and cons and found that spending the extra money was not worth it for my personal use.  For your case I think the choice is between the MSO5000 and the cheaper Siglent, if this is a new hobby then there are huge amounts of projects that can be done with very basic scopes, and its hard to find a high percentage of cases that you will need the MSO5000 or the SDS2104X+, and if you do need the features then there is even far less cases for low signal measurements.

The other thing to consider is that there are advantages that the MSO5000 has:
1. Much better AWG, you get 2 channels plus the options for modulation
2. It does not do Sinx interpolation to guess the shape of a wave, the high sample rate provides real picture of the signal since the sample points are close.
3. individual controls for each channel, for some persons this is an absolute necessity
4. Has HDMI output
5. does not have the Zoom issue which all Siglent scopes appear to have, read further on forum or EEVBLOG Dave's video
6. There are others which I have not listed, but the question I faced was after adding and subtracting the features the pros that remained for the Siglent did not justify the extra cost for me.

Here is another Youtuber who does mostly RF and analog work, he sold his old scope and bought a MSO5000, he appears very proud of his scope and therefore this dismisses the idea that it is primarily for digital work. Also remember he would have hacked the scope so he would be a member of this forum and would have come across all the competing views.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline nubinstanleyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2022, 04:21:22 pm »
I had the same issue when I was looking for a new scope, I saw the SDS2104X+ and was considering buying it, then I heard about the MSO5000 and compared all the pros and cons and found that spending the extra money was not worth it for my personal use.  For your case I think the choice is between the MSO5000 and the cheaper Siglent, if this is a new hobby then there are huge amounts of projects that can be done with very basic scopes, and its hard to find a high percentage of cases that you will need the MSO5000 or the SDS2104X+, and if you do need the features then there is even far less cases for low signal measurements.

The other thing to consider is that there are advantages that the MSO5000 has:
1. Much better AWG, you get 2 channels plus the options for modulation
2. It does not do Sinx interpolation to guess the shape of a wave, the high sample rate provides real picture of the signal since the sample points are close.
3. individual controls for each channel, for some persons this is an absolute necessity
4. Has HDMI output
5. does not have the Zoom issue which all Siglent scopes appear to have, read further on forum or EEVBLOG Dave's video
6. There are others which I have not listed, but the question I faced was after adding and subtracting the features the pros that remained for the Siglent did not justify the extra cost for me.

Here is another Youtuber who does mostly RF and analog work, he sold his old scope and bought a MSO5000, he appears very proud of his scope and therefore this dismisses the idea that it is primarily for digital work. Also remember he would have hacked the scope so he would be a member of this forum and would have come across all the competing views.

Thank you for taking the time to share all this information! My confusions is also between the MSO5000 and the SDS2104X+. :) I can justify a jump from the SDS1104X-E to the MS5000 but was confused about a jump to the SDS2104X+.

From a usability perspective, how is the scope ? UI, protocol decoding... ?

Will checkout the video... :)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2022, 05:03:57 pm »
In the end neither are 'perfect' allround. AFAIK both Rigol and Siglent only decode what is on screen. If you want to get something more polished then look at the R&S RTB2004 for example. Maybe it makes more sense to buy something cheap right now, see where the roads leads you to and upgrade later.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline phs

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2022, 05:06:56 pm »
As I recall, the issues jacekowski was having most likely come down to incorrect termination of the signal going into the scope.  In the pictures jacekowski posted above, there is no information provided about how the signal was terminated.  However, if I recall correctly, the signal was split from a single sig gen output and terminated into two (2) 50 ohm bnc through termination connectors at two of the input channels to the scope.  I suspect this can cause transmission line problems.  You have a 50 ohm transmission line, split, being terminated with two 50 ohm through terminations, and my guess is this explains the effects shown in the photos -- the affects of the signal reflections seem pretty clear to see in the photos. I was able to reproduce exactly this effect with an RTB2004, using a similar setup.

The other thing that I believe occurs with this setup is that as you dial through various frequencies from the sig gen, the amplitude of the signal will become significantly dependent on frequency, and will change as the frequencies change.

It was shown in a photo I provided that the RTB2004 demonstrated exactly the same artifacts -- again -- in all likelihood due to transmission line effects.

However, when terminated properly, these issues almost completely disappear -- with each scope (RTB/MSO). 

With proper termination, when a single-shot sweep is performed, the amplitude variations/reflection artifacts pretty much go away and the only remaining artifacts are slight variations in how the sample points are laid down within the instrument's noise envelope that surrounds the signal.  Both the RTB and MSO demonstrate this issue, as does any scope out there.  In fact, I was surprised at how well the Rigol compared to the R&S in this case.  It's clear that the "noise envelope" around the signal on the MSO is "thicker" than the RTB, but for most use cases (in my experience) this just doesn't make that much difference.  Having to choose, I'd rather have a much higher waveform refresh rate rather than the tighter noise specs.  It just feels like the Rigol reveals more information about the signal, for most general use cases.  Don't have a Siglent scope lying around to add to the comparison, so the RTB example is just for limited comparison purposes.

As far as I can tell, I have seen no evidence whatsoever that there was anything wrong, at all, with the second scope jacekowski showed pictures from.

Something else I've observed is that low signal levels, in most combinations of settings, if not all, the RTB runs at a much slower waveform update rate when compared to the MSO, which I find annoying when trying to see what low-level signals actually look like.  Though I haven't actually done extensive testing, it just feels like the MSO, in many cases, provides significantly more information about the dynamic nature of the signal at low levels, largely because of the much higher waveform refresh rate.  Additionally, the way the Rigol displays the waveforms and handles persistence, just looks really good.

In actual daily use, the MSO scopes here tend to get more use than the RTB scopes, primarily due to the larger number of relevant features they have in comparison to the RTB.  Also, the controls feel more intuitive and they seem quicker to operate than the lovely looking, but often annoying UI of the RTB.  (Talking about the front panel controls and using a mouse, not the touch screen, which I rarely use).

Anyone complaining about the noise on the MSO who hasn't actually used one day in and day out might want to reconsider being so vocal about how dire the MSO noise issues are, as I believe they may be doing quite a disservice to potential users for whom the MSO could be an extremely useful tool.  The feature set on the MSO is still quite extraordinary for the price, and allows a wide array of signal analysis techniques to be applied.  It really is a high-quality "Swiss-Army-Knife" that is unbeatable for the price (if "enhanced", that is). 

For the wide variety of work done here, the MSO can do more than the RTB (faster decoding, multiple FFTs, 2 AWGs, area triggering options, higher waveform update rate, more sophisticated and varied triggering options, and more I'm not thinking of right now.  In fact after being disappointed at the limited bps UART decoding rates and, at the time, limit of 4 simultaneous measurements of the RTB, it was decided to try out the MSO scopes and they have proved to be more capable for the wide variety of work done here.

Yes, the noise can be annoying in some relatively rare use cases, but there are the various "noise reduction" functions available (although they aren't all that satisfying for my use much of the time), but also the "color grade" function can help to display more detail about the signal.  And, anyone thinking an 8-bit scope is going to be the most useful tool for 16/24/32 bit audio signal analysis is likely to be disappointed.  There are probably better tools for that sort of work.

Also, if someone spends the majority of their time in the 1 mV/div and below range, there are likely better tools for that as well, but don't forget to consider the waveform update rate in those cases, too.

As for the Siglent scopes, those still are not under consideration here because of their choice of implementation of the zoom function, but also, comparable models were not available at the time the MSO scopes were purchased.  There is a lot to like with the Siglents it appears, but I would have to make sure they have the same rich array of functionality as the Rigols, higher waveform update rates, as well as zoom capabilities more in line with the RTB and MSO.

Though the Rigol is far from perfect (UI can get sluggish, but not much worse than the RTB, the web UI isn't nearly as nice as the RTB, and the screen is smaller than the RTB, and yes, there is a noticeable difference in low level signal noise levels), but for the daily tasks here, the Rigol just can't be beat for $$/function.  It's a high performance workhorse with a surprising range of capabilities, and has been a great investment, as have all the Rigol scopes purchased here over the years.  Yep, I'm a happy user, but looking forward to seeing what Siglent is up to in the future as well...

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2022, 05:07:55 pm »
First image some signal. It looks pretty much very noisy. MSO5000 user will say: "you see, I see same noise.."

Then you zoom in and realize all of that is a signal:

There are no noise reduction techniques that preserve full bandwidth AND decrease noise on a signal that is not strictly repetitive. You either give up bandwidth (i.e you get a 1Mhz scope) or noise is there.

A side note: this is with a scope on 1mv/div natively (10mv with 10x probe) riding on top of 11,5V signal. DC coupled...
Ruminate on that. That is what a low noise scope front end can do...
With a 500MHz+ full bandwidth...  8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 05:15:40 pm by 2N3055 »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2022, 05:26:43 pm »

HI!

You are correct, touchscreen Rigols have fast trigger rate.

Could I bother to ask you what is it with zoom that is not right with Siglent? They even implement vertical zoom.

They also implement full set of advanced triggering, arbitrary math, 2 zone triggers etc...
They do measurements on full buffer, have gated measurements, numerous measurements functions.
Also Histograms and histicons, Trend and Track plots etc etc..
They have many advanced functions of mid range scopes really...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 05:28:15 pm by 2N3055 »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2022, 01:01:19 am »
In the end neither are 'perfect' allround. AFAIK both Rigol and Siglent only decode what is on screen.
Nico, the Rigol DS1054Z (and perhaps the DS2000) is the one that decodes on screen. Several other models don't.

HI!

You are correct, touchscreen Rigols have fast trigger rate.

Could I bother to ask you what is it with zoom that is not right with Siglent? They even implement vertical zoom.
Sinisa, you don't want to open that can of worms again... It is that discussion from the scope wars of 2020 that talked about capture a large buffer then "zoom in" to look at details, or capture a detail and "zoom out" to see the stream (or something about that).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline jacekowski

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2022, 03:30:20 am »
I would strongly advise against MSO5000 (i've had 2 that both had serious issues with (presumably) ADC interleaving).

In all screenshots below it was fed with nice clean sine wave, artefacts were generated in the scope.

The issue is less obvious when scope is limited to 100MHz, but if you know where to look it is quite easy to find.

Has anybody else had this issue? You'd think something so blindingly obvious would have been all over the forums since day one.

I've found some previous reports (it seems like it is not always this bad) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/review-rigol-mso5000-tests-bugs-questions/msg3187486/#msg3187486
Considering that you have to set up triggering level very near top or bottom limit (so it triggers only from the glitch) for the issue to be obvious (otherwise it looks like fatter trace and the really big glitches are infrequent enough to disappear if you are triggering it near 0V) it is also almost impossible to spot with lower bandwidth models.

Offline jacekowski

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2022, 03:33:14 am »
As I recall, the issues jacekowski was having most likely come down to incorrect termination of the signal going into the scope.  In the pictures jacekowski posted above, there is no information provided about how the signal was terminated.  However, if I recall correctly, the signal was split from a single sig gen output and terminated into two (2) 50 ohm bnc through termination connectors at two of the input channels to the scope.  I suspect this can cause transmission line problems.  You have a 50 ohm transmission line, split, being terminated with two 50 ohm through terminations, and my guess is this explains the effects shown in the photos -- the affects of the signal reflections seem pretty clear to see in the photos. I was able to reproduce exactly this effect with an RTB2004, using a similar setup.

However, when terminated properly, these issues almost completely disappear -- with each scope (RTB/MSO). 

Signal was correctly terminated, and local distributor confirmed that the issue existed and took the scope back. Also, screenshots attached to my post in this thread shows traces when i "upgraded" the scope to full bandwidth (something i didn't want to share on a public forum before i got my refund).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 03:37:12 am by jacekowski »

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2022, 04:53:05 am »
Thank you for taking the time to share all this information! My confusions is also between the MSO5000 and the SDS2104X+. :) I can justify a jump from the SDS1104X-E to the MS5000 but was confused about a jump to the SDS2104X+.

From a usability perspective, how is the scope ? UI, protocol decoding... ?

Yes, it can be confusing and everyone has their perspective.  The scope discussion comes up regularly, the usual suspects reply (including me) and no conclusions are reached.  All as it should be!

I have the SDS1104X-E and SDS2104X+, I don't have any MSO5000 but I did have the earlier DS1054Z.  You mentioned not having used an oscilloscope in a while.  The entry-level-and-just-above scope space is an extremely competitive area right now and significant advances have happened recently and continue.  The result is that you can get a lot of bang-per-buck now, but perhaps with some occasional rough edges.  You mentioned you will work with microcontrollers and want decoding and such.  If that is all or the vast majority of what you intend to do with it, then I'm probably not the best person to help you pick a scope.  Otherwise, I'd tell you that the less-expensive SDS1104X-E is probably a pretty clear choice--it is much cheaper, it works very well and the bugs are mostly worked out and it really has a quite nice feature set when hacked.  What it does not have is any sort of signal generator, a large screen (it's OK, just not huge) or a good LA option.  It does have an LA option and you can hack the license, but the hardware is a bit expensive and can't easily be DIY-ed.  The price point allows you to upgrade later with fewer regrets once you spend some time with a modern DSO and figure out all the things that it can do.  And in today's rapidly advancing market, I don't think it makes sense to buy capability today that you might not be able to use for 3-5 years--or never.  And you might miss out on something you didn't know you needed until you try and do it and it isn't there.

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2022, 06:24:49 am »

Sinisa, you don't want to open that can of worms again... It is that discussion from the scope wars of 2020 that talked about capture a large buffer then "zoom in" to look at details, or capture a detail and "zoom out" to see the stream (or something about that).

Ohhh, that ...  :horse:
He said zoom mode problems, that ain't zoom mode problem, but acquisition memory strategy differences..
Didn't connect it..

But anyway I appreciate you for warning me about that minefield. No, I don't want to relive that..
Thanks Rafael!

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2022, 06:50:37 am »

Oh, come on! You're seriously going to pretend you don't remember what Siglent's "Zoom problem" is?

Dave did a video on it:  :popcorn:

No, I don't want to relive that..

Quite.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 07:09:33 am by Fungus »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2022, 07:04:35 am »
But anyway I appreciate you for warning me about that minefield. No, I don't want to relive that..

You HAD to be that idiot, right ?
After people specifically asked not to open that can of worms?

Do I have to repeat, ad nauseam, again, fact that that video is mostly WRONG and full of inaccuracies?
Fact that you well know but are left with no other arguments than that controversy...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2022, 07:11:45 am »

I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove. If you stop a Rigol MS)5000 and zoom in then it's going to be a single pixel trace, too!

The "thick traces" on 'scopes are only there when you're zoomed out - they're a result of the 'scopes "digital phosphor" technology (the traces at the top of that screenshot look thick, too!)

The difference is where the noise comes from, not in the display algorithm.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 07:14:27 am by Fungus »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2022, 07:13:46 am »

Yes.... Now you get it....

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2022, 08:11:47 am »

I like how you reposted it.  :)

LOL!

Maybe you meant after a single Siglent fan with his head in the sand asked not to repost it?

Do I have to repeat, ad nauseam, again, fact that that video is mostly WRONG and full of inaccuracies?

Feel free to point out a single thing in that video that doesn't actually happen on Siglents.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 08:14:13 am by Fungus »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2022, 08:57:46 am »

I like how you reposted it.  :)

LOL!

Maybe you meant after a single Siglent fan with his head in the sand asked not to repost it?

Feel free to point out a single thing in that video that doesn't actually happen on Siglents.

I quoted it  in full. Which you don't do because always twisting meanings and taking things out of context.
How the FU**K is Rafael Siglent fan? He owns Rigol scope. He wanted to avoid this exact thing you are doing right now.

Taking things out of context. The whole video is about "Siglent is no good because it doesn't do this.." and then uses Keysight to demonstrate it. Which also can't do things claimed it can.  So whole video, it's tone, note implications and conclusion is false.

Siglent (currently) uses same acquisition strategy as : Keysight, R&S, LeCroy etc. when working in Auto memory management mode.  Some of these also support manual memory control that works by disabling normal timebase behaviour and timing and acquiring fixed record length all the time, regardless timebase. That is really a special acquisition mode same as roll mode is. It is useful to some and provides nothing that cannot be done other way. I had (and still have) scopes with manual memory control and never use that. I just keep them in auto mode and use it LeCroy/Siglent way, with zoom on, including your beloved Micsig. It is more logical way to me. Others can do what they want. But they can't claim something is wrong if they are not capable of using something the way it is explained manual.

This is my last reply to you on this here. I refuse to fuel your perpetual provocations. If you want to argue, open your own topic and let's argue there. So people who enjoy your jabs and pricks and provocations. There are some many the enjoy reality TV. Don't hijack other topics with your vitriol... Call it "Fungus calls bullshit!" or something flashy and cater to your audience there. And leave people here alone.
Please. Pretty please?

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2022, 09:53:48 am »
Just another day at the office...

@nubinstanley,

Buy the X-E. That's all you ever need in the near future and these things aren't cheap in your region.

If you find that you would need the MSO5000 for something, it will be a good exercise to find a way to overcome its inexistence.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2022, 09:57:53 am »
Just another day at the office...

@nubinstanley,

Buy the X-E. That's all you ever need in the near future and these things aren't cheap in your region.

Yeah sorry...

I agree and said that before. X-E is plenty of scope for most uses..

If you find that you would need the MSO5000 for something, it will be a good exercise to find a way to overcome its inexistence.
LOL!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2022, 12:03:31 pm »

Yes.... Now you get it....

I've always had it. I'm not the one pretending otherwise.

This is my last reply to you on this here. I refuse to fuel your perpetual provocations.

Yep. Bury your head in the sand.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2022, 12:47:54 pm »

He said zoom mode problems, that ain't zoom mode problem, but acquisition memory strategy differences..
Didn't connect it..

Come on, you can't be that thick  8) It is you who asked about more details so you opened the door for the can of worms to be put on the table again  :popcorn:  Maybe you should start to accept that not everyone sees it the same way as you do where it comes to memory management / zooming out. Respect other people's workflow / agree to disagree so to say.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 01:11:46 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2022, 02:03:16 pm »

Didn't connect it..

Come on, you can't be that thick  8) It is you who asked about more details so you opened the door for the can of worms to be put on the table again  :popcorn:  Maybe you should start to accept that not everyone sees it the same way as you do where it comes to memory management / zooming out. Respect other people's workflow / agree to disagree so to say.

Well I WAS that thick... Arrogant much ??

A man spoke about  "zoom anomaly". How TF those words have to do anything with that can of worms.
And you though I won't reply to you too, and it is a good time to insult me with your insinuations, without repercussions......

Not Fungus, not you didn't notice that everybody else on this topic suddenly went away.
With "...Ooh noo... not these 3 idiots again" gasped under their breaths..

Also, my last response to you here. If you have something to discuss on a technical merit fine.
Otherwise, stay well.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2022, 02:09:21 pm »
A man spoke about  "zoom anomaly". How TF those words have to do anything with that can of worms.

What else could it possibly be?  :palm:

It absolutely belongs in a discussion where people are asking questions about UI, workflow, etc. The only people wishing it wasn't here are the Siglent fanboys.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 02:13:54 pm by Fungus »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2022, 04:06:04 pm »
In the end neither are 'perfect' allround. AFAIK both Rigol and Siglent only decode what is on screen. If you want to get something more polished then look at the R&S RTB2004 for example.

The RTB2004.. Isn't that a 2500 USD scope ? Or did I find the wrong model ?  ??? If yes... Let me remind you that I am trying to justify a jump from 1300 USD to 1850 USD (or avoid the jump)  :D

Maybe it makes more sense to buy something cheap right now, see where the roads leads you to and upgrade later.

At the lower end, I would want to get at least and SDS1104X-E, which would come to around 670 USD. I doubt I'll be able to make half of that back if I try to sell it here in India. :) So no, that's not an option for me. I have to get something that I can (want to) hold on for quite a while. :)

So the question is this : "Is the Rigol's thick traces (assuming that I'd be working on low level voltages only rarely) bad enough to justify me spending around 570 USD more ? (Not saying that this is the only thing that differentiates an SDS2104X+ from an MSO5000 - Display size, a "bit" sluggish UI etc are things I am willing to overlook for the money... Am I overlooking something else that is important ? :))"

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2022, 04:08:06 pm »

The other thing that I believe occurs with this setup is that as you dial through various frequencies from the sig gen, the amplitude of the signal will become significantly dependent on frequency, and will change as the frequencies change.

It was shown in a photo I provided that the RTB2004 demonstrated exactly the same artifacts -- again -- in all likelihood due to transmission line effects.

With proper termination, when a single-shot sweep is performed, the amplitude variations/reflection artifacts pretty much go away and the only remaining artifacts are slight variations in how the sample points are laid down within the instrument's noise envelope that surrounds the signal.  Both the RTB and MSO demonstrate this issue, as does any scope out there.  In fact, I was surprised at how well the Rigol compared to the R&S in this case.  It's clear that the "noise envelope" around the signal on the MSO is "thicker" than the RTB, but for most use cases (in my experience) this just doesn't make that much difference.  Having to choose, I'd rather have a much higher waveform refresh rate rather than the tighter noise specs.  It just feels like the Rigol reveals more information about the signal, for most general use cases.  Don't have a Siglent scope lying around to add to the comparison, so the RTB example is just for limited comparison purposes.

As far as I can tell, I have seen no evidence whatsoever that there was anything wrong, at all, with the second scope jacekowski showed pictures from.

Something else I've observed is that low signal levels, in most combinations of settings, if not all, the RTB runs at a much slower waveform update rate when compared to the MSO, which I find annoying when trying to see what low-level signals actually look like.  Though I haven't actually done extensive testing, it just feels like the MSO, in many cases, provides significantly more information about the dynamic nature of the signal at low levels, largely because of the much higher waveform refresh rate.  Additionally, the way the Rigol displays the waveforms and handles persistence, just looks really good.

In actual daily use, the MSO scopes here tend to get more use than the RTB scopes, primarily due to the larger number of relevant features they have in comparison to the RTB.  Also, the controls feel more intuitive and they seem quicker to operate than the lovely looking, but often annoying UI of the RTB.  (Talking about the front panel controls and using a mouse, not the touch screen, which I rarely use).

Anyone complaining about the noise on the MSO who hasn't actually used one day in and day out might want to reconsider being so vocal about how dire the MSO noise issues are, as I believe they may be doing quite a disservice to potential users for whom the MSO could be an extremely useful tool.  The feature set on the MSO is still quite extraordinary for the price, and allows a wide array of signal analysis techniques to be applied.  It really is a high-quality "Swiss-Army-Knife" that is unbeatable for the price (if "enhanced", that is). 

For the wide variety of work done here, the MSO can do more than the RTB (faster decoding, multiple FFTs, 2 AWGs, area triggering options, higher waveform update rate, more sophisticated and varied triggering options, and more I'm not thinking of right now.  In fact after being disappointed at the limited bps UART decoding rates and, at the time, limit of 4 simultaneous measurements of the RTB, it was decided to try out the MSO scopes and they have proved to be more capable for the wide variety of work done here.

Yes, the noise can be annoying in some relatively rare use cases, but there are the various "noise reduction" functions available (although they aren't all that satisfying for my use much of the time), but also the "color grade" function can help to display more detail about the signal.  And, anyone thinking an 8-bit scope is going to be the most useful tool for 16/24/32 bit audio signal analysis is likely to be disappointed.  There are probably better tools for that sort of work.

Also, if someone spends the majority of their time in the 1 mV/div and below range, there are likely better tools for that as well, but don't forget to consider the waveform update rate in those cases, too.

As for the Siglent scopes, those still are not under consideration here because of their choice of implementation of the zoom function, but also, comparable models were not available at the time the MSO scopes were purchased.  There is a lot to like with the Siglents it appears, but I would have to make sure they have the same rich array of functionality as the Rigols, higher waveform update rates, as well as zoom capabilities more in line with the RTB and MSO.

Though the Rigol is far from perfect (UI can get sluggish, but not much worse than the RTB, the web UI isn't nearly as nice as the RTB, and the screen is smaller than the RTB, and yes, there is a noticeable difference in low level signal noise levels), but for the daily tasks here, the Rigol just can't be beat for $$/function.  It's a high performance workhorse with a surprising range of capabilities, and has been a great investment, as have all the Rigol scopes purchased here over the years.  Yep, I'm a happy user, but looking forward to seeing what Siglent is up to in the future as well...

Thank you!... For the detailed reply. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf