Author Topic: LeCroy Waverunner LT224 Review, (partial) teardown and wfm/s measurement  (Read 23236 times)

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
I am rather surprised at how low these refresh rates are. I know that they weren't particularly going for super fast rates like the latest scopes, but  dropping below 100Hz (wf/s), as you say, is getting to the point of being visible.

My WaveJet is Iwatsu rather than LeCroy but LeCroy had a major input in the design if not the manufacture and the wf/s are much higher even though it dates from 2005/6 so is a simlar vintage. It is of course easier to have higher wf/s when the scope does less but it is more the design criteria I'm interested in. LeCroy designers just had different priorities at the turn of the century.

Offline elecBlu

• Contributor
its not the age, even modern LeCroy Scopes do this like that, see below.
As I said before, those 125,000 wfm/s "trigger rate" have to be somewhere out there , but it is definitly not the same thing as waveform update rate at Agilent or Rigol. Somebody said on a LeCroy Scope you have to Stop Signal and use the memory/ data analysis to find "spikes/ glitches" (it is in memory, but not shown in Realtime), while e.g. Agilent shows such things in "Realtime" in the Display. As "Wuerstchenhund" said in his posting from May, 16. Could be true, both techniques have its pros and cons.
Look at this tables: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.datatec.de/cgi-bin/shop/lshop.cgi%3Furlpfad%3DInfos%26artnum%3DSignalerfassungsrate%26file%3D1222858742-d.html%26action%3Dinline%26rubnum%3DInfos%26printnow%3D1%26popup%3D1&prev=/search%3Fq%3DH%25C3%25B6chste%2BSignalerfassungsrate%2Bbis%2B1%2BMio.%2Bwfm/s%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D1105

The next days i will do some more measurements and we will see, the only problem i have no other fast digital scope to compare. With new topic.

Offline Celestion

I then opened it remove the accumulated dust inside, and to replace the single 16MB EDO memory module with two 32MB FPM modules to increase RAM to 64MB.

Hello,

Have you seen any improvement by increasing RAM ?
I just bought this oscilloscope and I'm wondering if it would be useful to increase the memory.
Have you bought the RAM on ebay ?

Offline mldevw

• Contributor
Re: Part 1: The Waverunner LT Series - Hardware
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 11:38:58 am »
The digitizer frontend comes with two (2Ch models, LTxx2) or four (4Ch models, LTxx4) 8bit ADCs with local sample memory, which sits on proprietary memory modules (HMM, Hybrid Memory Module) and can be upgraded with up to four modules (if you manage to get hold of the modules, that is). Basic configurations come with 100k or 250k of sample memory, which could be expanded up to 8M (4M per channel). The BNC inputs on the front also have a smaller connector with an I2C bus, which serves for communicating with the more advanced LeCroy probes. It's the same system as used on the 9300 Series and the LC up to the latest LeCroy scopes.

Hi,

thank you for the write up. I have an opportunity to get an LT344 defective to get the HMMs from this one. Has any of you tried if those are "plug and play" and my LT224 will get higher aquisition rates and larger memory just by exchanging the HMMs?

Thanks in advance
Cheers,

mldevw

Offline bson

• Supporter
Re: LeCroy Waverunner LT224 Review, (partial) teardown and wfm/s measurement
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2019, 10:23:07 pm »
The OP was banned some time ago, but if you want to get in touch with him you can probably do so here:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/xfa-blogs/wuerstchenhund.471615/

That page also has the same peek inside the WaveRunner LT224.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf