Author Topic: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!  (Read 243247 times)

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!
« Reply #600 on: January 12, 2016, 09:11:34 pm »
Yes Berni,

i do know, but at least AM modulation was working before last FW update.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #601 on: January 13, 2016, 01:16:52 am »
Well,

just tried to revert FW to 1.00.3 (141225.0), now AM mod works good, see attachment.

Broken modulation apart, with ver. 150807 the user interface was a lot more sluggish than usual, maybe the last firmware is only for PCB "1004.1", mine is "1004".

Now i'm wondering if i am the only one with this problem ....

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #602 on: January 13, 2016, 10:14:51 am »
Good hardware potential but low software quality. Hopefully a opensource version will be available in the next weeks/months.
alex.forencich worked on the FPGA software and I am currently working on a GUI version.
I don't have other AWG to compare with.
This post was from August 2015.
Any news on this?

Offline 50ohm

« Reply #603 on: January 13, 2016, 10:03:38 pm »
I addition, now AM modulation function with internal mod. source is no more working properly, see the attached image  :palm:
With what settings did you get waveform like that?

I really tried different settings but the AM seems to be working on my unit. Only thing I noticed that if I set some divisible ratio between modulation and carrier (for example 1:10) so that I can see the modulation changes and carrier cycles in same time, the carrier phase is constantly "rolling" against modulation phase - what it should not do if the ratio is exactly divisible. So it's possible that the modulation frequency has very little error against carrier frequency or vice versa.

I also noticed that there's MUCH more waveforms in the arbitrary menu now and the frequency of arbitrary waveforms are now correct. With previous software, if I set CH1 to sine for some frequency and then select exact same frequency for CH2 and select any of the arbitrary waveforms, the arb. frequency had little error.

Now they are exactly synced.

But I can verify what's said already earlier: frequncy counter function is now dead. No readings with any kind of signal anymore.

PCB: 1004.1
1.00.3.03.05 (150807.0)
Linux 3.2.35
FPGA: 41
Keyboard: 3

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #604 on: January 14, 2016, 05:52:29 am »
I addition, now AM modulation function with internal mod. source is no more working properly, see the attached image  :palm:
With what settings did you get waveform like that?

-snip

PCB: 1004.1
1.00.3.03.05 (150807.0)
Linux 3.2.35
FPGA: 41
Keyboard: 3

Similar behaviour with any kind of setting, anyway this problem disappeared reverting to older FW revision.

Your PCB is 1004.1, mine is 1004, also FPGA code is different (4.1 vs 2.1), i fear that the last FW file shared on this 3ad is only for your HW revision.

One positive thing is that now FM modulation is working properly, previously was not, probably due to FPGA code update 2.0->2.1 (SW downgrade left it to the latter).

I'm wondering if exist a web channel to ask  Hantek proper firmware release for the specific owned HW revision, if anyone succeded in that please share the way.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #605 on: January 28, 2016, 11:38:42 pm »
Having lost any hope to obtain anything else than a simple fixed frequency tone from this toy, finally i went for a Siglent SDG2042X and useless to say (as i was well aware) it's a complete different story.

Now i think that compared with almost anything else on the market the HDG2002B is quite a rip-off also for it's price, the current FW is an insulting joke at a point that's hard to believe.

@ my job making something similar with products delivey would result in an instant dismissal.

I bought it believing in Hantek FW fix and/or open source project goals, as far as i know, both failed.

Apart from the money spent, a huge time loss, sure last Hantek deal for me (and it was only the second one in my life).

Offline arksie

« Reply #606 on: January 29, 2016, 09:13:03 am »
Hello
Someone from colleagues could send back the original file system.inf?
Regards

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #607 on: February 07, 2016, 01:49:23 pm »
Finally got around to finish my HDG2k "improvement" project:
Now with a safe PSU, isolation between output common and ground/USB and less loud, more effective cooling.
If there is any sort of interest, i could be motivated to publish the psu design files (not that great, as it was built around components i had around) and some infos on the isolation mod.

Robert -

could you please specify the type of digital isolators you used for linking between control and signal section of the HDG? I expeimented with a similar configuration as you reported and used two ADuM2400CRW but didn't get the link to work. A closer look at the footprints suggests that the aformentioned digital isolator will work for U14. But U13 might be a different thing since Ve1 is connected to the 3.3V rail which might imply that it has at least one data line in reverse direction. Another look at U14 and the way channel "D" is left unconnected may indicate that both isolators are supposed to be ADuM2401CRW (3F+1R channel arrangement). How did you get your digital isolation barrier to work?

Thanks,
Thomas

Offline Freedom

« Reply #608 on: February 07, 2016, 08:45:42 pm »
Modding HDG2022B
I have this model with PCB 1004.1, SW 1.00.3.03.05 (150807.0), Kernel 3.2.35, FPGA 41, Key 3.
I'm trying to mod it using USB-UART connection. When I type  /config/root/system.inf  I got "Permission denied"( see attach).
I try su and sudo to overcome permission but the same.
Any help highly appreciate

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #609 on: February 08, 2016, 08:36:43 am »
Modding HDG2022B
I have this model with PCB 1004.1, SW 1.00.3.03.05 (150807.0), Kernel 3.2.35, FPGA 41, Key 3.
I'm trying to mod it using USB-UART connection. When I type  /config/root/system.inf  I got "Permission denied"( see attach).
I try su and sudo to overcome permission but the same.
Any help highly appreciate

I haven't read enough of this thread to know what you are trying to do, but "/config/root/system.inf" is not a command or executable, its just a file. If you are trying to edit the file or read it you could try "vi /config/root/system.inf" or maybe "nano /config/root/system.inf". If you still get permission denied messages try either command preceded with sudo.

Edit: Just noticed you are already root, which you can tell by the "root@hantek" part of the command line, so sudo or su won't do anything for you.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:50:35 am by CustomEngineerer »

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #610 on: February 08, 2016, 08:44:55 am »
I bought it believing in Hantek FW fix and/or open source project goals, as far as i know, both failed.

Its never wise to buy equipment expecting either of these things. You are almost guaranteed to end up disappointed.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #611 on: February 08, 2016, 09:44:10 am »

Its never wise to buy equipment expecting either of these things. You are almost guaranteed to end up disappointed.

Yep, you are right, lesson learnd.

I bought it for little money but it was like to throw it out of the window.

This thing is a pile of cr@p, a ripp-off, i warned people here and i can see that the story still goes on.

It's time to put it on Ebay.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:49:10 am by markone »

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #612 on: February 08, 2016, 11:20:37 am »
Finally got around to finish my HDG2k "improvement" project:
Now with a safe PSU, isolation between output common and ground/USB and less loud, more effective cooling.
If there is any sort of interest, i could be motivated to publish the psu design files (not that great, as it was built around components i had around) and some infos on the isolation mod.

Robert -

could you please specify the type of digital isolators you used for linking between control and signal section of the HDG? I expeimented with a similar configuration as you reported and used two ADuM2400CRW but didn't get the link to work. A closer look at the footprints suggests that the aformentioned digital isolator will work for U14. But U13 might be a different thing since Ve1 is connected to the 3.3V rail which might imply that it has at least one data line in reverse direction. Another look at U14 and the way channel "D" is left unconnected may indicate that both isolators are supposed to be ADuM2401CRW (3F+1R channel arrangement). How did you get your digital isolation barrier to work?

Thanks,
Thomas

Im looking it up this evening.

I have to open up the whole thing anyway, as it suddenly decided to be a HDG2002B again.
I have no idea what has happened now, but it has un-hacked itself...

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #613 on: February 08, 2016, 11:45:24 am »

Im looking it up this evening.

I have to open up the whole thing anyway, as it suddenly decided to be a HDG2002B again.
I have no idea what has happened now, but it has un-hacked itself...

With all the respect to everyone that spent effort on this thing, i would warn you about a fact : you are following the same path that me and other people here did, spending hundreds of hours for a joke device.

Try to make a sweep and look to signal amplitude, try to modulate a signal and see what you obtain, try to use the noise function and see what you get, try to set screen brightness and other things and see what happens when you recycle the power....

If also the PSU it's a petard, well ...

This thing is useless, it's a scam, sell it on ebay and save money to buy something else.

I did and i started to work around my things not around this cr@p.

Offline arksie

« Reply #614 on: February 08, 2016, 01:22:31 pm »
I have model with PCB 1004.1, SW 1.00.3.03.05 (150819.0), Kernel 3.2.35, FPGA 42, Keyboard 3.
The first time in my life I edited in Linux and has become :palm:
I damaged the contents of a catalog system/root.
Someone from colleagues could send the catalog root?
PS
I read device data before damage
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:35:20 pm by arksie »

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #615 on: February 08, 2016, 04:54:23 pm »
With all the respect to everyone that spent effort on this thing, i would warn you about a fact : you are following the same path that me and other people here did, spending hundreds of hours for a joke device.

Try to make a sweep and look to signal amplitude, try to modulate a signal and see what you obtain, try to use the noise function and see what you get, try to set screen brightness and other things and see what happens when you recycle the power....
Im well aware its crap. It does work for most of my needs, and i cant really sell it for any price thats worth the trouble (id imagine to have an anrgy buyer that didnt expect to buy crap). So its better than to throw it away...
Still, probably the last chinese-designed instrument i bought. Had enough of it by now (Uni-T, Rigol, Voltcraft and now Hantek all did disappoint me). Seems to be the same as for china-made metalworking machines, not worth the trouble you have with them in the long run. Had a big, not cheap chinese made drill press thats a whole heap of scrap iron with dangerous electric wiring on it. Welding machine that overheats within short time, "copper winding" means copper primary (winding window half empty) and alu secondary, and so on. I wanted to buy a chinese made milling machine, had a good look at it and had the shop owner get angry as i got out a flashlight and went to inspect the ways and bearing surfaces. No surprise why, as the whole crap was made to fit with an angle grinder it seems... Nice looking surface on top but inaccurately made, so they made it fit on the bottom part. So i went away and got a good old Deckel made in the early 60s for about the same price and got something thats actually useful.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:04:36 pm by robert_ »

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #616 on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:26 pm »

Im well aware its crap. It does work for most of my needs, and i cant really sell it for any price thats worth the trouble (id imagine to have an anrgy buyer that didnt expect to buy crap). So its better than to throw it away...
Still, probably the last chinese-designed instrument i bought. Had enough of it by now (Uni-T, Rigol, Voltcraft and now Hantek all did disappoint me). Seems to be the same as for china-made metalworking machines, not worth the trouble you have with them in the long run. Had a big, not cheap chinese made drill press thats a whole heap of scrap iron with dangerous electric wiring on it. Welding machine that overheats within short time, "copper winding" means copper primary (winding window half empty) and alu secondary, and so on. I wanted to buy a chinese made milling machine, had a good look at it and had the shop owner get angry as i got out a flashlight and went to inspect the ways and bearing surfaces. No surprise why, as the whole crap was made to fit with an angle grinder it seems... Nice looking surface on top but inaccurately made, so they made it fit on the bottom part. So i went away and got a good old Deckel made in the early 60s for about the same price and got something thats actually useful.

Same things here, nowaday lot of things are actually made there, when they ary bad, they are really bad.

Speaking about myself this HDG2002B close the circle of all pieces of cr@p that i bought before aware of, Hantek is now on the black list (in good company) and i have to thank Dave for all the fantastic published  tear down videos that avoided me to buy some other useless things.

I remember when i saw one of your pictures where the hantek standed under a Lecroy Wavejet, it seemed a bit weird to me  ;)

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #617 on: February 08, 2016, 09:34:27 pm »
Just got around doing it.
U13: ADUM3401CRWZ
U14: ADUM3400CRWZ

U1: LT1117-3.3
U15:LT1117-ADJ

The ADUM need to be -C* (maybe -B works, but -A doesnt) speed grade.
Voltage regs need to be fitted, and all 0R links removed. Power to the earth referenced side is then 5V at <2A peak ( J906 [arrow]2xGND  2x +5V)

I did manage to reapply the hack, for some reason the system.inf got replaced by a default version stored somewhere (wtf). Calibration suvived though, so it didnt overwrite the wohle filesystem.

I remember when i saw one of your pictures where the hantek standed under a Lecroy Wavejet, it seemed a bit weird to me  ;)
Well, it stands next to a Waverunner HRO 66zi at the moment... That wavejet was here just for sale and i neded to test it for a while.
I can survive with a crappy function generator (as i will at least see that its doing things it shouldnt) but i cant live with a crappy scope. I had my fun with a DS1052B and it was pretty sucktastic, got my old 9354L right out again even though its 10 times as huge, loud and horribly to use, but it doesnt BS me half of the time.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:02:20 pm by robert_ »

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #618 on: February 08, 2016, 09:50:39 pm »
Well, it stands next to a Waverunner HRO 66zi at the moment...

That's even weirder  :)

I touched one in demo years ago, if i remember right it was around 25Keuro LOL !

I think i understand why you out put all that effort in modding the HDG2002B, safety for your jewels mixed to some sort of personal challenge and self imposed punishment for china cr@p purchase.

Am i right ?

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #619 on: February 08, 2016, 09:58:48 pm »
Not really, the point is i dont need a very good FG. I used to live with an old Kontron (analog) one and a FG501 and a FG503(iirc) plugin in a TM504. Worked for what i do most of the time, just i wanted something digital with nice colours etc :) without spending too much on it, as it might have its frontend blown up at some time anyway. The good thing is that most low-end AFG use fairly replaceable parts there, while Agilent uses unobtanium hybrids. Other option would have been a SDG1025, which does suck a little less (we have a large box of these at work to replace our even crappier "Voltcraft" analog ones.
Also i did not pay anything even near the 25k for the HRO.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:03:26 pm by robert_ »

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #620 on: February 08, 2016, 10:05:49 pm »
Also i did not pay anything even near the 25k for the HRO.

At the time was the street price with some sw options, it was a demo, at the end was not purchased..., so i guess your is from second hand market.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #621 on: February 09, 2016, 09:55:02 am »
Thanks Robert -

I already got the voltage supply stuff sorted, that was rather simple. I only didn't use an adjustable LT1117 for the 1.8V supply  -- I found a fixed version in my "salvage box" and rather removed the divider network on the HDG PCB. I also did some further testing on the U14 data direction issue and came to a different conclusion: It's got to be an ADuM2402 / 3402 version with two channels in each direction. I came to this result for two reasons: Firstly, it makes no sense to use two different components for U13 and U14 to provide a single additional channel in the Control -> Signal section direction if there's one such channel unused on the other (U14) isolator. Every half-way sane electronics designer (if this doesn't mutually exclude each other  :-DD ) would use identical parts to keep BOM diversity low and get better prices by sourcing higher quantities of individual components. So in this case, two ADuM2400 / 3400 would have been the way to go (that's what I initially thought without taking a closer look). Secondly, I probed the data direction by injecting a small current (via a multimeter in diode test mode) across the damping network RA8 (fortuantely, there are test pads available). And this test gives clear evidence that the signals on Tp27 and TP28 are driven from the control section.

Yet, when playing with the generator (toy...) I've never seen any activity on the line connected to Tp27 which may explain why your setup works perfectly well with the ADuM3401 isolator.

In general, I agree with what's been said here ragarding the value of the whole gadget - for economic reasons, it's not worth throwing any effort/money after the thing, it's basically crap. With a half-way decent firmware/software package it had some potential but this will most probably never happen. Anyway, I just enjoy playing with it and poking around. If I make a mistake, it wouldn't mean a considerable loss and on the other hand, it works well enough to replace my existing, simple DDS generator. So I simply consider it a toy, no more, no less.

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #622 on: February 09, 2016, 11:54:19 pm »
So I simply consider it a toy, no more, no less.

If it wasn't  that Robert spotted an unsafe PSU inside the toy ... i could agree with you.

When i saw his warning post i trusted him and fearing to put in jeopardy myself and all attached devices i returned the toy in its cardbox, afterwhile i went for the SDG2042X.

It costed me 550 Euro but  it works a treat and it's worth every Euro spent, conversely the toy was a total wast of money and time.

Anyway, now i'm under the impression that most people that bought the HDG2002B used it only as single tone generator, meanwhile not being able to understand that all the rest do not work or work bad. 

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #623 on: February 10, 2016, 08:20:07 am »
Markone - actually my HDG doesn't seem to be that bad (H/W 1004.1, S/W 1.00.3.03.05, FPGA 42). After calibration, amplitude flatness is acceptable (of course wide-range sweeps are a different thing), Modulation works, dual output no problem. "Real" arbitrary and PC-based functions are a joke and unusable but the internal "arbitrary" functions work okay as well. In "everyday's use" it hardly crashes. The PSU is a different story but as I understood there have to be at least two different versions around (those with the separate 5V supply and those without). I've got the same version as Robert has (without the separate 5V output) and I agree with him that it's quite a bad design. But I did a high-pot test on it up to 2.5kV and didn't find any problems. So, for the time being I use it but will replace it eventually with a home-brewn one with a toroidal transformer (similar to Robert's approach). What I added is a 40V bidirectional 4kA suppressor diode between output ground and earth. This limits the voltage coupled through the capacitor across the transformer and will also provide a little more safety in case of a catastrophic failure of the power supply while still keeping the output ground floating for all practical means. So as a toy for hobby use, it appears just acceptable to me, especially considering the price.

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #624 on: February 10, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »
But I did a high-pot test on it up to 2.5kV and didn't find any problems. So, for the time being I use it but will replace it eventually with a home-brewn one with a toroidal transformer (similar to Robert's approach). What I added is a 40V bidirectional 4kA suppressor diode between output ground and earth. This limits the voltage coupled through the capacitor across the transformer and will also provide a little more safety in case of a catastrophic failure of the power supply while still keeping the output ground floating for all practical means. So as a toy for hobby use, it appears just acceptable to me, especially considering the price.

Cheers,
Thomas

That's good Thomas, safety first !

I assume that last FW works good with your PCB version (1004.1), with mine (1004) it utterly brokes any signal modulation function, so i had to revert.
Just out of curiosity, if you can try AM 1Khz 100%/ FM 5Khz 500Hz dev modulation on 1-20Mhz sine carrier and let me know.

It could be also feasable to supply the toy with a small isolation transformer, just to not to have the live power line inside the box and eventually on the output BNCs.

Anyway if i wer to replace the internal PSU i would go for a linear unregulated stage (transformer/ diode bridge / cap) plus a bunch of Traco DC/DC converters, or even better for a 19V laptop external PSU and inside again a bunch of  bla bla bla.

But this would mean additional time / money outgoings for a toy that is kidding me most of the time, and looking how good (or how normally ?) works my SDG2042X, i definitely think to have thrown every Euro spent for HDG2002B out of a running car's window .

Marco.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf