Author Topic: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!  (Read 243490 times)

Offline fremen67Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!
« Reply #475 on: March 08, 2015, 01:06:44 am »
one comment would be if possible make it so the user could enter thier SCPI commands into a dialog so maybe it could support more scopes and maybe a DMM.   I have a Rigol DM3068 I could test with for you.
Thank you for your comments. Generic support for new scopes includes SCPI commands modification but also horizontal and vertical scale calculation modification, statistical functions modification,...plus the SCPI commands may also include parameters which are not always at the same place in the commands. That's possible but will require some time to do it. It may be faster to include support for a selection of well distributed scopes (I will include also support for MSO/DS2000A as Flatlander adapted the tool for his MSO2302A).

Support for DMM should be easier as it is quite common that SCPI enabled DMM have support compatibility modes with older DMM (with HP 34401a for example). I was trying to buy a used HP 34401a but I find them overpriced in europe. For the same price I could buy a new Rigol 3058E or a Siglent SDM3055. As soon as I have such a DMM, I will include the DMM support in the calibration tool and will come back to you for testing.
I may pull the trigger for a SDM3055 because of the large display but I am waiting for a the upcoming  review on the signal path blog.
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #476 on: March 08, 2015, 01:16:24 am »
UPDATE :
i just completed a manual calibration round for channel one (a huge PITA at best), now self test is GO !
That's a good news!

@fremen67 : 67 is your year of birth ?
Not far :) but no it's the code number of the area where I live in France (67 = Bas-Rhin - Alsace)
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #477 on: March 08, 2015, 01:21:46 am »
Curious as if the above hack will still work with the current HDG2002B models for sale.
At least it was still the case last month ... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-hdg2002b-awg-5mhz-or-100mhz-let's-see!/msg600782/#msg600782

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #478 on: March 08, 2015, 07:16:14 am »
Hi

I got a pc setup to run the script and after making the change for 64bit it ran ok.   Calibrated both channels and it is doing better but it does still fail that stupid zoom unit test on mine.   One thing I notices that was strange it right at 98Mhz I hear it kick in a relay and I get a 482mV offset added in.   I can take it out on the scope with AC coupling but in use that changes my signal.  not sure where it came from and I don't recall it before calibrating but then again I don't know if I ever had it in the 2V range before

Script worked great though from what I can tell.   Saved allot of time and hassle   

Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #479 on: March 11, 2015, 11:59:59 pm »
Hi

I got a pc setup to run the script and after making the change for 64bit it ran ok.   Calibrated both channels and it is doing better but it does still fail that stupid zoom unit test on mine.   One thing I notices that was strange it right at 98Mhz I hear it kick in a relay and I get a 482mV offset added in.   I can take it out on the scope with AC coupling but in use that changes my signal.  not sure where it came from and I don't recall it before calibrating but then again I don't know if I ever had it in the 2V range before

Script worked great though from what I can tell.   Saved allot of time and hassle   
Do you have the offset problem on the channel which fails the selftest only? This offset could be the reason of the selftest failure then. The relay which kicks in just activate an amplifier stage (x4 or x5). So you may have a problem with one amplifier stage...

I PMed Bugdozer who has the same hardware as yours to know wether he still has this selftest problem or not after calibration.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-hdg2002b-awg-5mhz-or-100mhz-let's-see!/msg601354/#msg601354

I finally found a HP34401A for a reasonable price so I will update the calibration tool as soon as I receive it.

Offline tridentsx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #480 on: March 15, 2015, 09:51:46 pm »
Does the board boot-up without the keypad and screen connected, or is the boot halted ?
It boots on my dev board without screen nor keypad, neither FPGA connected

Does the boot have any visual indications or audible indications except the main screen ?
I don't think so. You should see the Hantek square barcode logo as soon as the kernel starts

I also don't see any output on the serial connections.
That's the first thing you should see ... Did you check your soldering close enough?  :-//

I had my wife check the soldering, she is younger and has better eyesight than I have and she found a tiny bridge on the EMAC. After removing that the device boots up. I still get a failure message in the boot log.

Code: [Select]
AFG3050 fpga configure init
dm9000 Ethernet Driver, V1.31
dm9000 dm9000: read wrong id 0x2b2a2928
dm9000 dm9000: wrong id: 0x2b2a2928
dm9000 dm9000: not found (-19).
insmod: can't read '/dso/driver/s3c-hsudc.ko': No such file or directory

Anyone else seen this ?
Maybe I have to get a new DM9000AEP chip and redo the whole thing and while I am at it d get a microscope as well so I can see what I am doing. :)
Thanks for the help

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #481 on: March 15, 2015, 10:33:36 pm »
Maybe I have to get a new DM9000AEP chip and redo the whole thing and while I am at it d get a microscope as well so I can see what I am doing. :)
Yes that's quite small...

Before starting over just check you added all the needed components:
- DM9000AEP
- H1102NL magnetics
- RJHSE-5381 RJ45 jack
- 25Mhz Crystal
- 2x22pf caps

Otherwise some pictures of both sides of the board may help (near DM9000AEP and H1102NL magnetics)...

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #482 on: March 16, 2015, 03:44:53 am »
I've been out of commission for a bit. I will have to check if it's on both.   
Both channels do fails the selftest.  it was zoom unit 1 on ch1 and ch2 that fails that

Do you have the offset problem on the channel which fails the selftest only? This offset could be the reason of the selftest failure then. The relay which kicks in just activate an amplifier stage (x4 or x5). So you may have a problem with one amplifier stage...

I PMed Bugdozer who has the same hardware as yours to know wether he still has this selftest problem or not after calibration.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-hdg2002b-awg-5mhz-or-100mhz-let's-see!/msg601354/#msg601354

I finally found a HP34401A for a reasonable price so I will update the calibration tool as soon as I receive it.
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #483 on: March 16, 2015, 08:57:00 am »
Is the update calibration tool available now?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #484 on: March 16, 2015, 12:27:57 pm »
I should receive my DMM this week so I suppose this could be done at the end of the week ... if it works well  :)

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #485 on: March 16, 2015, 01:07:19 pm »
I should receive my DMM this week so I suppose this could be done at the end of the week ... if it works well  :)

Hi fremen,

i tried your excel script, of course is working :-)

I only had to change my windows default decimal separator to make it to work.

But i have some weird results on channel two (not so small amplitude & offset error after cal) and i want to try a calibration with a straight coax cable.

How can i change the scope probe ratio from 10:1 to 1:1 in your code ?

Thanks,

Marco.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #486 on: March 16, 2015, 04:06:05 pm »
I only had to change my windows default decimal separator to make it to work.
Yes that's often what we have to do when using Excel in our poor european countries. Welcome to the club ;) . Excel, CSV files and default decimal separator ... a never ending story   |O

How can i change the scope probe ratio from 10:1 to 1:1 in your code ?

In fact I don't change it and use the DSO default configuration for that. You have 2 options:
1 - either change the probe ratio of the channel you use and save it as default on your scope
2 - or add the "PROBe" line in the InitDSO function:

Private Function InitDSO(ByVal DSOChannel As Integer) As Boolean
' Perform DSO initialization steps

' Set Channel parameters
    DSO.WriteString (sDotCHANnelx & ":DISPlay ON")
    DSO.WriteString (sDotCHANnelx & ":COUPling DC")
    DSO.WriteString (sDotCHANnelx & ":BWLimit OFF")
    DSO.WriteString (sDotCHANnelx & ":PROBe 1")

I can't test it as I am not at home but this might work ... hopefully

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #487 on: March 16, 2015, 08:52:58 pm »
-snip

In fact I don't change it and use the DSO default configuration for that. You have 2 options:
1 - either change the probe ratio of the channel you use and save it as default on your scope
2 - or add the "PROBe" line in the InitDSO function:

Private Function InitDSO(ByVal DSOChannel As Integer) As Boolean
' Perform DSO initialization steps

' Set Channel parameters
    DSO.WriteString (sDotCHANnelx & ":DISPlay ON")
    DSO.WriteString (sDotCHANnelx & ":COUPling DC")
    DSO.WriteString (sDotCHANnelx & ":BWLimit OFF")
    DSO.WriteString (sDotCHANnelx & ":PROBe 1")

I can't test it as I am not at home but this might work ... hopefully

Just added "DSO.WriteString (sDotCHANnelx & ":PROBe 1")" code line as you instructed and it works :-)

I'm not a .net programmer so i had to search the web for instructions about embedded VBA function editing.

The following link explain it quite well :  ttps://support.office.com/en-za/article/Edit-a-macro-ed9e8c3d-58fd-47a1-83eb-bdee680376bb#bm1

With the straight coax RG58 cable i have more consistent calibration results against Rigol probe reading .... but i wonder why ...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #488 on: March 16, 2015, 09:37:00 pm »
Just added "DSO.WriteString (sDotCHANnelx & ":PROBe 1")" code line as you instructed and it works :-)

I'm not a .net programmer so i had to search the web for instructions about embedded VBA function editing.
Glad that it worked. Maybe a good time to start? ;)

With the straight coax RG58 cable i have more consistent calibration results against Rigol probe reading .... but i wonder why ...
Strange ... How did you connect the probes on the HDG? In fact I don't use the RIGOL probes that came with my DSO. I stick to the Metrix HA1316 probes I had and that I like a lot: 2 settings points (1khz+1Mhz) plus convenient accessories (BNC plug adapter, ...).

At least did it solve the HDG selftest problem?

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #489 on: March 16, 2015, 11:54:26 pm »
Glad that it worked. Maybe a good time to start? ;)

I'm a cold war boy used to code in plain C language on embedded systems, with good memories for Z80 & 80C31 & AD2101DSP assembler works till the middle of 90s :-)

But i love NI Labview on PC side ;-)   

Quote from: fremen67
Strange ... How did you connect the probes on the HDG? In fact I don't use the RIGOL probes that came with my DSO. I stick to the Metrix HA1316 probes I had and that I like a lot: 2 settings points (1khz+1Mhz) plus convenient accessories (BNC plug adapter, ...).

At least did it solve the HDG selftest problem?

HDG selftest errors disappeared already from the first manual calibration.

Calibrating with the Rigol probe leads to high DC offset and HF amplitude attenuation (the probe reads higher HF amplitude than straight cable), i will try a different scope probe later.

Anyway i just noticed a DS1074 problem :

with one channel in use fine trimming the vertical sensitivity to 335mV/div or less (channel set to 1X), signals over about  30Mhz becomes significantly distorted at least on the screen.

I saw that during script calibration and i checked it manually after, discovering also that if you enable other channels the distortion disappear  :wtf:

See the attached screenshots, 2Vpp sine 90Mhz signal, 340mV/div (signal good), 335mV/div (signal distorted one channel in use), 335mV/div (signal good two channel in use), all with coax cable and 1X probe ratio.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #490 on: March 17, 2015, 08:40:42 am »

Great! Hope have your news soon.  ;D

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #491 on: March 17, 2015, 04:15:14 pm »
Just tried the instrument frequency sweep, with this function the signal it's UTTERLY UNCAL !  :palm:

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #492 on: March 18, 2015, 07:57:30 am »
 :o

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #493 on: March 19, 2015, 12:33:02 pm »
Just discovered also that AM modulation is now broken (SW 1.0.0.3), see attached image.

It would be a 10Mhz 100% AM modulated signal,  (@10Khz), but as you can see, the deepness is wrong, sure not 100%.

If i remember well, with the previous SW version (1.0.0.2), the AM deepness was right.

I will try to revert to 1.0.0.2 and check.

Guys, stay away from this crap.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #494 on: March 19, 2015, 01:45:19 pm »
System SW reverted to 1.0.0.2, now AM modulation is right, see attached image (10Mhz carrier, 100% AM modulated @ 10Khz).

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #495 on: March 22, 2015, 02:15:44 pm »
Has anyone had any problems modding their Hantek?

I've had it for ages but haven't had the need for higher frequencies so I haven't modded it yet. Now I'd need a sine up to 100 MHz so I started modding it but I'm having trouble getting the UART to work. I found the pinout for the connector (next to the USB-connector at the backside) and that the settings for the UART is 115200baud, 8N1, no parity, no flow control. With these settings the it "appears" to work in the sense that when I boot the thing I get a couple of pages worth of something. But everything coming from the scope is just a garbled mess (nothing seems to make any sense, lots of characters are just grey boxes etc.). Pressing keys results in 1-30 characters printed in the terminal (I'm using putty btw.). I just have a short piece (~10cm) of ribbon cable connecting to my (genuine) FT232 UART adapter. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Edit: Figured it out, for some reason on the adapter I have the "Invert TXD" and "Invert RXD" options were set when looking at the adapter settings with ft_prog. Changed them and now it works (had to replug the adapter).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:35:40 pm by Dago »
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #496 on: March 24, 2015, 01:07:47 am »
I'm a cold war boy used to code in plain C language on embedded systems, with good memories for Z80 & 80C31 & AD2101DSP assembler works till the middle of 90s :-)
I think I still have somewhere in a box the ZX81 I bought in 81 with the impressive 16ko external RAM module  ;)

Anyway i just noticed a DS1074 problem :

with one channel in use fine trimming the vertical sensitivity to 335mV/div or less (channel set to 1X), signals over about  30Mhz becomes significantly distorted at least on the screen.

I saw that during script calibration and i checked it manually after, discovering also that if you enable other channels the distortion disappear  :wtf:

See the attached screenshots, 2Vpp sine 90Mhz signal, 340mV/div (signal good), 335mV/div (signal distorted one channel in use), 335mV/div (signal good two channel in use), all with coax cable and 1X probe ratio.
Yes, I can reproduce it too on my DS1054Z. You can hear a relay clicking when the signal gets distorded... strange indeed

Just discovered also that AM modulation is now broken (SW 1.0.0.3), see attached image.

It would be a 10Mhz 100% AM modulated signal,  (@10Khz), but as you can see, the deepness is wrong, sure not 100%.
Yes I can reproduce it too. But it seems to be OK for signals that don't use the x4 or x5 amplification stages, that is under 1 Vpp. As the way the x4 and x5 amplifiers are used has been modified in the 1.00.3, I would guess that they did not retest al the functions. Or may be the 1.00.3 is supposed to be used with FPGA 30 only...
It is becoming really annoying, and still no official updates on Hantek website.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:09:52 am by fremen67 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #497 on: March 24, 2015, 01:13:25 am »
I've had it for ages but haven't had the need for higher frequencies so I haven't modded it yet. Now I'd need a sine up to 100 MHz so I started modding it
Nice that it works now. Remenber that after the mod you will have to calibrate the HDG to get it working above 30Mhz...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #498 on: March 24, 2015, 01:36:53 am »
So I finally received my 34401A  :)
Here is the modified version of the HDG calibration tool with:
- Excel x64 support (thank you smgvbest for the feedback)
- 34401A DMM support for DC values
- Rigol DS/MSO2000A support thanks to flatlander
- Excel sheet update improvement

If you don't want to use a device (DMM or DSO), just leave the adresss/alias empty.
The DSO detection type is done using the IDN string so it should be able to detect a DS/MSO1000Z and DS/MSO2000A (hopefully :P).
Depending on the calibration value type, you should be prompted to connect the correct device to the HDG.

I also wanted to add a progress status bar but it's bed time here ...
Hope this will help!

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #499 on: March 30, 2015, 03:02:24 am »
Thanks fremen67!
I'll download and try on my HDG.   ^-^

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf