Author Topic: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!  (Read 246870 times)

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
Re: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »
Re: my clock test above, can anyone else confirm that the phase noise on the output is horrible?  I.e., scope both an output and the internal Ref out (from the back BNC), set the output to 10MHz and trigger off the rear 10MHz reference. I would expect to see both the ref and output signals sync'ed.

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2014, 05:38:02 pm »
Re: my clock test above, can anyone else confirm that the phase noise on the output is horrible?  I.e., scope both an output and the internal Ref out (from the back BNC), set the output to 10MHz and trigger off the rear 10MHz reference. I would expect to see both the ref and output signals sync'ed.

I can check this later today.  I'll get back to you.
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Offline fremen67Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2014, 07:15:45 pm »
I started to make a dump of the flash, for some reason when I get to doing mtd3 (the rootfs) it runs forever generating 500 MB or more until I kill it.
Am I doing something wrong? I am just using:

nanddump -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/ROOTFS.bin /dev/mtd3
You are right, nanddump is not  ;)
There is a bug in this version of nanddump (also identified on MSO/DSO with linux 3.2.35)
Just use the one attached to this post (it comes from a script Tinhead posted on the Hantek - Tekway DSO topic).
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2014, 08:15:27 pm »
Yes there is a problem and it is more likely a software one. The 10Mhz generated by the standard square function as 2 problems:
- it is not accurate ( my MSO reads 9.99986Mhz)
- the duty is varying (ghosts traces on falling edges)

I did the test using TTsource and the ARB function with a "clean" 10Mhz square signal:
- my MSO reads 10.0000Mhz
-  no more ghosts falling edges

It is tricky with TTsource to create such accurate files because the number of samples has to be a multiple of 16 (TTsource rounds it itself otherwise). So for 10Mhz you can't directly draw a cycle of 25 samples as it will round it to 32... you would need to have 400 samples at least (25x16) and draw 16 cycles.
At the moment I use Agilent BenchLink Waveform Builder to draw signals (f.e. 10 seconds to enter you want 16 cycles of a square wave on 400 samples) and export it, run a macro that converts the file to a .hwf file that I import in TTsource and download to the Hdg. Yes that's wired but than you have very acurate signals out of the HDG. Plus Waveform Builder is much more powerfull than TTsource.
Another problem of TTsource with arbs is that it always tries to have around 6000 samples when you enter a frequency (I suppose to reduce downloading times) and its choice of divider is not always the best one. So it is often better to directly chose yourself the divider and the number of samples that meets your needs.

Could you try the same tests with the attach files? (just unzip and use TTsource to import and download to the HDG)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:05:36 pm by fremen67 »
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »
@fremen67:  thanks!  I will try those out in a couple of hours. Note that in my test, I used a sine wave (to avoid difficult measurements involving the rising and falling edges of the waveform) and I also noted that the duty cycle + frequency generated was pretty spot-on to 10MHz. I will perform some more tests with the arb function file you posted however. :D

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2014, 03:09:59 am »
Well a couple of things:

- I tried loading both the sine and square files; the sine had nothing it in, and the square one had a 1KHz square wave in it. I could not upload either to the HDG (not sure why that isn't working, but it is probably a case of I'm not using it correctly).
- Against my HP 5334, I measured the sine wave output, 10MHz, at 9.999681 MHz (pretty close).

Again, it isn't the frequency that seems to be off, but the phase of the output that is wandering.

Offline rdg

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2014, 04:00:03 am »
Thanks for that, the alternative nanddump seems to work. The files are available here:

http://rdg.cc/files/hantek/hdg2002B-1.0.1.1.tar.gz

By the way, I didn't remove my serial from the system.inf, it was set to 'undefined' from the factory.

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #207 on: June 26, 2014, 05:02:15 am »

This is the best I could do.  I manually dialed in the sine wave frequency (top) to stabilize it relative to the 10MHz out signal (bottom).  The jitter is really bad.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong setting up the measurement.

Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #208 on: June 26, 2014, 11:37:36 am »
@FrankenPC: Thanks for the measurements!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2014, 06:59:38 pm »
Well a couple of things:

- I tried loading both the sine and square files; the sine had nothing it in, and the square one had a 1KHz square wave in it. I could not upload either to the HDG (not sure why that isn't working, but it is probably a case of I'm not using it correctly).
- Against my HP 5334, I measured the sine wave output, 10MHz, at 9.999681 MHz (pretty close).

Again, it isn't the frequency that seems to be off, but the phase of the output that is wandering.
Both are related. With the arb function and TTsource I am pretty sure you would have less phase problems and a more accurate frequency.
The files I posted seem OK  :-//

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2014, 07:01:17 pm »
This is the best I could do.  I manually dialed in the sine wave frequency (top) to stabilize it relative to the 10MHz out signal (bottom).  The jitter is really bad.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong setting up the measurement.
Could you also try with TTsource and the files I posted?

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2014, 07:54:17 pm »

Sure.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2014, 08:50:56 pm »
Thanks for that, the alternative nanddump seems to work. The files are available here:

By the way, I didn't remove my serial from the system.inf, it was set to 'undefined' from the factory.
Thank you!  :)
Would you be interested in my v1.0.0.1 or do you prefer to wait for someone to post a v1.0.0.2?

Offline rdg

• Contributor
« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2014, 11:00:46 pm »
Would you be interested in my v1.0.0.1 or do you prefer to wait for someone to post a v1.0.0.2?

Sure, if you could post your version I could try it out. Still no response from Hantek. Thanks!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: June 27, 2014, 12:01:23 am »

Sure, if you could post your version I could try it out. Still no response from Hantek. Thanks!
I PM you the link. My backup has my serial in it and I am too lazy to do it again   ;)

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2014, 03:25:58 am »

OK!  So, this TTsource program.  It's pretty terrible.  I can't get it to allow me to load data of any kind under any circumstance.  The program is talking to the generator as I can set the frequency.  But that's it.  Any clues to help?

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2014, 09:11:40 am »

i just restored it on my dev board, it looks really like early dev version. Not only debug infos available, but as well still some undefined things (like your SN or lib version or executable build date/version). One can use all that information to understand all the executables and libs much better, most function names from current firmware can be restored now using your dump. Thx!
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2014, 09:51:25 am »

there is a lot of file which need to be then updated, i've created html report (based on your and fremen67 dumps).

I'm wondering how they loading the /lib/firmware/htg1000.bit on your unit, sure, it might work via lib as well,
but on current hardware there is extra executable (/dso/cfg_fpga) started from /etc/init.d/rcS/ to load the /lib/firmware/htg1000.bit. What even more interessting, there is no CAL data on your unit.

Note: i named your fw HTG-1.00.1(131107.0) , because this is the /afg_bin time stamp

Note: in report, red - different binary, blue - missing on the other side.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2014, 09:46:56 pm »
OK!  So, this TTsource program.  It's pretty terrible.  I can't get it to allow me to load data of any kind under any circumstance.  The program is talking to the generator as I can set the frequency.  But that's it.  Any clues to help?
Yes, this is not very intuitive.
First you have to synchronize TTsource with the HDG: Initial->Real Time->Read Operation
You select "Arb" function and then you import the .hwf file: File->Import Data (The import menu won't be active until you select Arb function)
The parameters of the imported file may not be correctly displayed: only samples and divider will be correct, frequency may not. For example the imported 10Mhz Sine file will show as beeing 1000 Hertz ...
Then you click on the Write button and eventually enable the channel if not already... that's it!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:49:55 pm by fremen67 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2014, 09:59:58 pm »
i just restored it on my dev board, it looks really like early dev version. Not only debug infos available, but as well still some undefined things (like your SN or lib version or executable build date/version). One can use all that information to understand all the executables and libs much better, most function names from current firmware can be restored now using your dump. Thx!
Well done! Did you use IDA Pro?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:21:40 pm by fremen67 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2014, 10:03:46 pm »
Note: i named your fw HTG-1.00.1(131107.0) , because this is the /afg_bin time stamp
Note: in report, red - different binary, blue - missing on the other side.
A lot of modifications indeed. I hope someone will post its 1.00.2 version soon ...

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #221 on: July 04, 2014, 09:04:57 pm »
@Fremen67

Sorry for the delay.  Was this what you wanted?  Both sine and square waves were perfectly stable with the generator clock out.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2014, 09:33:05 pm »
@Fremen67

Sorry for the delay.  Was this what you wanted?  Both sine and square waves were perfectly stable with the generator clock out.
Yes exactly. Thanks a lot! :)
So if you did not see any jitter on it, that means that the jitter you saw with you previous tests comes from the way the HDG is generating the signal with build in waveforms. Plus the frequency seems to be more accurate, isn't it?
It would mean that at least from a hardware point of view the HDG is not that bad.
It could be interresting to do some SA again but using the arb function with "clean" files for that. I would bet that the results would be different from the first one. I have no hardware for that but if someone can do this, I could post a tool to generate .hwf files for TTSource.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #223 on: July 04, 2014, 11:18:06 pm »
@fremen67/FrankenPC:

How do I get the HDG connected to TTsource? I tried following your instructions above, and while I can load the wave data into TTsource, I can't seem to connect to the funct gen or remotely control the generator. Is there additional software that needs to be installed aside from TTsource?

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #224 on: July 04, 2014, 11:54:36 pm »
@fremen67/FrankenPC:

How do I get the HDG connected to TTsource? I tried following your instructions above, and while I can load the wave data into TTsource, I can't seem to connect to the funct gen or remotely control the generator. Is there additional software that needs to be installed aside from TTsource?

I had the same problem.  I switched USB ports and the problem went away.  The USB driver is garbage.  It leaks like a sieve.  At least the Windows 7 64bit one does.  The driver actually blue screened my laptop once. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf