Author Topic: Hantek DSO2000 Master Thread (DSO2C10 DSO2C15 DSO2D10 DSO2D15)  (Read 2924 times)

Offline DavidAlfaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Continuation of https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-hantek-dso2x1x-models/

»  Readme first!  «

Before following any instructions described here, please read:
This information was obtained based on my own testings and forum users feedback.
I've put my best efforts on making this information accurate and valuable, but it might not be 100% correct.
Having said that, I don't take any responsability, if you proceed, it'll be at your own risk.

Before doing anything, save your important data!
- Make a flash backup (Check DSO Flash Tool below).
  If DSOFlash identifies the flash as  GD5F1GQ5UEYIG, the current available platform-tools are not compatible, so keep your backup in a safe place!

- Run Backup Builder (In Mods section)

Also, it's always a good idea to take a picture of Utility->System info screen.
Some updates might erase and/or break some features, and you'll need to restore the system.

Read carefully: There's a big difference between "FW version" and "SW version".
SW version refers to the software running inside the CPU(Phoenix).
FW version refers to the firmware running in the internal FPGA.

Higher FW version doesn't mean it's compatible or better!
Do not change your FW version unless specifically told you to do so!
Some updates can do it, so don't update with anything you find over internet unless you have a backup!
Check the section "FW versions" for more details.

»  Quick glance  «

This section summarizes few quick references.

»  For scopes coming with FW30xx-31xx, update to FW3102.
»  For scopes coming with FW320x, update to FW3209, try older 32xx versions if having issues.
    FW3204 seems to break the decoder, avoid it.
»  Latest software release is 2024.03.26.

»  If USB is not working properly (Drive not being recognized until pressing update), apply Hantek's USB fix.
    »  The system only has one USB interface, shared with 2 ports. So you can't use both at the same time!
»  If the scope isn't being recognized properly in IO Lib Suite, uninstall it and install the latest version from Keysight.
    »  Also using Rohde & Schwarz Driver seems to work (Tested v5.12.8 ). (Link to original post).
»  If the scope is randomly crashing when handling the controls, ensure you have latest FW (B102/3102 or B202/3202).
»  Additionally, if calibration fails with an error, probably your FW version is incorrect, check "FW versions".
»  You can upgrade and downgrade to any FW and SW version you want, i.e. you can apply an older version if the newer one isn't stable or compatible, there's no known risk of permanent damage.
»  Sometimes the settings get corrupted and the scope gets stuck in the boot logo or the interface becomes unresponsive. If this happens, check "Recovering" section.
»  Rotating encoders unresponsive but buttons working? Check this solution.
»  To quickly upgrade to 2D15, run 2D15 conversion, available at the bottom of this FAQ.
     Ensure to make a backup first with Backup builder!

»  What not to do  «

»  Screwing up your system because you thought you were smarter than anyone, so no reading of any kind was needed.
»  Coming here to blame us for your fuck-up because of the above.

»  DSO Flash Tool  «

This tool can backup and restore the flash without opening the scope.
- Download DSOFLASH
- Open the readme and folllow the instructions.
- Included GD5F1GQ5UEYIG backup as recovery option while platform-tools are not compatible with this memory. Apply your Backup Builder backup afterwards.

»  Firmware versions  «

It's not a good idea to change it unless stated to do so.
Calibration will fail if the wrong version is used, but else than that, there's no  risk of permanent damage.

Available FW versions
They're UPK packages, you can install them like a normal update.
If your version is not listed there, please make a backup using Backup Builder (In Mods section) and send me the file dso3kb_CNxxx_FPGA.tar.bz2.
You can upload it to my public writable folder, please add some txt describing yor upload!

»  2013_A013
»  2015_A015
»  3000_B000
»  3101_B101
»  3102_B102
»  3200_B200
»  3202_B202
»  3203_B203 (3202 fix for noisy signal in higher memory depts, ex. 4M, 8M)
»  3204_B204 (Seems to break decoding, try FW3202 if having issues)
»  3205_B205 (Supposedly it fixes the decoding problems from 3204)
»  3208_B208
»  3209_B209

»  Updating  «

There are two kind of updates: Regular system updates and low-level firmware packages.

»  Regular system updates are the UPK files. These are installed from the usb drive.
»  Low level firmware packages are flashed using platform-tools. They will overwrite the whole filesystem.
    »  Check "Recovering" section.

»  System Updates  «

This is a collection of the up-to-date known updates.
If your version is not listed there, please make a backup using Backup Builder (In Mods section) and send me the file dso3kb_CNxxx_Software.tar.bz2.
You can upload it to my public writable folder, please add some txt describing yor upload!

These can be applied safely:
»  2020.11.18 (These older versions had trouble at triggering on fast and small spikes)
»  2021.01.05 (Zoom bug started from this version, not fixed)
»  2021.08.14 (Has a bug in the generator, DC offset not applied in real time)
»  2021.11.08 (Also includes USB fix)
»  2022.01.24 (Starting this version, gnd coupling offset calibration was added, needs running a new calibration)
»  2022.09.21 (Only fixes Russian translation?)

These will update the fpga FW version:
»  2020.12.21_fpga_3000 -> Sets FW3000
»  2021.05.10_fpga_3202 -> Sets FW3202
»  2021.06.01_fpga_3102 -> Sets FW3102
»  2021.06.30_auto_update_fpga(3102-3202) -> Auto-updates 3000->3102 or 3200->3202, else leaves it unchanged
»  2022.02.18_fpga_3203 -> Sets FW3203 (2022.02.10 sw, fpga fix for noisy signal in higher memory depts, ex. 4M, 8M)
»  2022.09.21_fpga_3205 -> Sets FW3205
»  2024.02.02_fpga_3208 -> Sets FW3208
»  2024.03.26_fpga_3209 -> Sets FW3209

There's a Hantek solution for the USB problem:
»  USB_fix    -> Resets the system settings and deletes a small file causing the issue, FW and SW versions remain untouched.

»  FEL mode and driver installation  «

- Connect the scope to the computer, hold FEL button down and turn it on, keep holding the button for 2 seconds and release.

Automatic installer
- Download FEL / Fastboot Driver Installer and follow the included instructions, also available here.

Manual method
- Install PhoenixSuite_CN.msi.
- Download Zadig and follow this steps:

-After that, you should see the device driver installed:

»  Recovering  «

In the case anything went wrong and the system cannot longer boot or run normally, normally this is caused by corrupted settings, there're several options to recover:
There's a mod, "Factory Reset Daemon", that will do this automatically when doing a sequence of several power-off actions manually.

System shell
If you have access to the serial port or the USB Console is working, enter the shell and run these commands:
Code: [Select]
pidof dbus-daemon phoenix | xargs kill -9
rm -rf /data/setup/last.pho /dso/etc/aslf/*
reboot -f
If still not working, use Platform-tools method.

SCPI
- Install latest IO Lib Suite.
- Connect the scope to the computer.
- Open the Device Manager, if the scope appears under "USB Test and Measurement Devices" proceed with next step.
- Open Keysight Connection Expert, click Interactive IO, write "PRIVate:FACTORY:RESET" in the command and click "Send Command"
- All setting will be erased, the scope will reboot automatically.
- If not working or not recognized, then Platform-tools will be the only way of recovering.

Platform-Tools system flashing
This will completely wipe your system, erase serial, model and signal generator calibration!
So better you have a backup, otherwise you might lose the generator calibration.
Newer versions of the scope store the calibration values in the eeprom, while older versions didn't had them.
There's a calibration script in Mods section that will both calibrate and update the eeprom, so it never gets lost again.

If DSOFlash identifies the flash as GD5F1GQ5UEYIG, the current available platform-tools are not compatible, for now you can only recover with DSOFlash!

Boot into FEL mode (Check upper section), then run "cmds.bat" or "recover.bat" depending on the version downloaded.
The screen will appear distorted, and/or with random colors, that's normal!
After a moment the process will finish and the scope will boot normally.
Important: Connecting it to usb 3.0 ports seem to cause some issues. Use a 2.0 port when possible.
Always apply the USB fix after recovering using this method!

If getting “api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll missing” error, install Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows.

Platform-tools versions:
»  Unified platform-tools package
    - 2020.12.21, FW3000
    - 2021.01.29, FW3101
    - 2021.05.17, FW3102
    - 2021.07.26, FW3202
    - 2022.07.07, FW3205

Now, your scope will show "undefined" under model, hardware and serial number, also the generator calibration will be gone.
You should now apply the backup package "dso3kb_CNxxx.upk" to restore them.

If you didn't made backup, the FW version might not be correct for your model.
Check "FW Versions", "Quick glance" sections to apply the correct FW.

To manually restore the HW, Model and serial check Scripts and Script Launcher in "Mods" section.
If you have lost your Generator calibration, it's gone forever, there's no known way to calibrate it.
You can try "Generator calibration fix", which will restore a calibration taken from another scope, it will be better than nothing.

»  Model modification  «

You can "upgrade" the scope ex. from a 2C10 to a 2D15 by simply modifying the model strings.
Keep in mind not all 2C1x models have the wave generator parts mounted.
Some do, other doesn't, the only way to know is to open it, or simply upgrade it and check if the generator works.
There's the package "2D15 conversion", available in Mods section, to make the conversion in a very simple manner.

Alternatively, you can also do it by yourself with these simple SCPI commands.
The SCPI commands are applied instantly, not requiring rebooting to take effect.
Remember to use your PCB number, modifying only the last digit to "1".
PRIVate:SET:MODEl1 DSO2D15
PRIVate:SET:PCB "000.000.000.000.000.000.000.001"

You can also modify the Serial and other strings:
PRIVate:SET:SERIal CN2101029000000
PRIVate:SET:VENDor Hantek

What we know so far is the software reads both the model and the PCB versions to check whether to enable the generator or not.
It willl enable the generator if the model contains 2D10 or 2D15, or if the last number of PCB model is "1".

»  Mods  «

Ensure to read Readme.txt before doing anything!

»  Backup Builder: Backups all important system data and builds three main update packages, so you can quickly restore them:
    »  dso3kb_CNxxx.upk: Restores Model, Serial, HW, FW, Generator calibration, preserving the existing software.
    »  dso3kb_CNxxx_FULL.upk: Restores Model, Serial, HW, FW, Generator calibration and dso, overwriting the existing software.
    »  dso3kb_CNxxx_EE.upk: Restores system EEPROM.

Extra packages:
    »  dso3kb_CNxxx_FPGA.upk: Restores only the FW (fpga).
    »  dso3kb_CNxxx_Calibration.upk: Restores only the Generator calibration.
    »  dso3kb_CNxxx_Model.upk: Restores only the Model, Serial, PCB.
    »  dso3kb_CNxxx_Software.upk: Restores only the software.

Additionally, it will create a tar.bz2 for each package to allow easy inspection of the files.
    All packages include the USB fix, also the builder itself will apply the fix before making the backups.

»  2D15 conversion: Sets your model as 2D15.
»  bmp2png: Automatically convert the screenshots into much smaller pngs.
»  Doom: Needs further explanation? Yes, you can run Doom!
»  Factory Reset Daemon: Daemon that detects early reset/power off, will trigger a factory reset on the third time the system is quickly resetted. Video.
»  FW Changer: To change any FW version. Run backupFW and send me the bin file if you FW version is not there!
»  Generator calibration: If you lost the calibration and didn't back it up, this package will restore it.
»  Overclocking: Applies overclock to the system for better response, without any overheating issues.
»  Patched english font: Original font is bulky and ugly, this font is patched and uses a smaller font already present in the file.
»  Patcher: At the moment, it's able to enable uart ascii decoding and change plot colors.
»  Theme for visually-impaired: Changes the default Yellow/Green plot colours to Yellow/Purple. Math is Cyan. See included picture.
»  RTC mod: Mod adding DS1307 or DS3131 RTC to keep the date, so the screenshots aren't always dated to 1970.
»  Date daemon: Mod adding track of the date while the scope is on, restored at boot and updated every minute. Date doesn't increase while the scope is off.
»  Scripts: Script collection. Use Script launcher to run them.
»  Script launcher: Runs any bash script in the usb drive called "do_other_update".
»  Static compiled binaries: Custom cross-compiled binaries that can be run in the hantek system. For the hacker only!
»  USB Console: Creates a USB serial port to access the Linux shell, keeping all the original functionality.

»  UPK Build / Extract tools: Scripts to decrypt/encrypt update packages.
»  source code: Kernel/uboot source code.
»  Live Linux: A compiled version of linux made to be loaded in FEL mode. Just a proof-of-concept.
»  Debian Virtual machine: Debian 10 Virtualbox machine for compiling stuff for this device, arm-gcc-linux-eabi and lots of build dependencies already installed, ready to use.

»  Links  «

»  DSO2x1x hacking thread
»  Everything is available in my Google Drive folder
»  Hantek DSO2000 schematics , thanks @pcprogrammer!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 03:56:42 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Hantek DSO2X1X models Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 03:35:37 am »
NOTE: I spun this post out from this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-hantek-dso2x1x-models/msg3290532/#msg3290532
Because obviously it's super detailed and useful and deserved to not be buried away in another huge thread.

The following users thanked this post: eevbstedt, coromonadalix, Avelino Sampaio, Aldo22

Offline OLderDan

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 06:25:58 am »
Where am I?!!!

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 08:55:52 am »
@EEVblog: Thanks, good idea!
Maybe we should also start using the real name of this series to make it easier to find. It doesn't have an "x" in it:

Hantek DSO2000

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 09:34:46 am »
@EEVblog: Thanks, good idea!
Maybe we should also start using the real name of this series to make it easier to find. It doesn't have an "x" in it:

Hantek DSO2000

But it does have a D or a C and a 0 or a 5 where the X's are.

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 09:36:11 am »
As thread starter you can edit the OP however you like.
Dave just made a new thread using your previous post.

I'm neither Dave nor DavidAlfa and I can't change anything.
But this thread title is new and I'm wondering why we don't start using the correct name of this series.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 09:41:39 am »
But it does have a D or a C and a 0 or a 5 where the X's are.
Yes, but the name Hantek has given this series is DSO2000 and not  DSO2X1X or DSO2?1? or DSO2*1*.
How can you search for it if you don't know about the X?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 09:45:18 am by Aldo22 »

The following users thanked this post: eevbstedt

• Super Contributor
Re: Hantek DSO2000 Master Thread (DSO2C10 DSO2C15 DSO2D10 DSO2D15)
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 01:31:14 pm »
Better now?
Yeah I asked Dave to take ownership of the first message of the original thread to place the FAQ there (To avoid the same questions and mistakes from happening again and again), but wasn't possible, so a new thread was made.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 01:33:52 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

The following users thanked this post: eevbstedt, Aldo22

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 02:30:08 pm »
Better now?

Excellent!  :-+
There is a name for the series and four model names.
None of them have an "X" in them.  ;)

Thank you!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 07:30:54 pm »
Yeah definitely better for google search!

The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Offline OLderDan

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2024, 03:32:44 am »
When I adjust the trigger hold off is there any way to change the granularity? It seems to have some random jump in spacing so that my choices are a compromise and not exact.

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2024, 07:30:02 am »
When I adjust the trigger hold off is there any way to change the granularity? It seems to have some random jump in spacing so that my choices are a compromise and not exact.

Yes, I didn't get that either.
I'm sick of turning knobs anyway, so I do more complicated setups via PC->SCPI, which works “spot on”.
I made a little Linux tool for myself (image), but it should also work with the official Windows tools (afaik).
The SCPI commands are listed here.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 07:42:18 am by Aldo22 »

Offline Elextro

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2024, 09:57:57 pm »

Hello everyone, I am new to these forums and I recently bought a Hantek DSO2D15. My question is for DavidAlfa. The oscilloscope originally came with software 1.03.0.0 (230831.00) and firmware 3205. It did some strange things to me that were not very important and I decided to update with the latest firmware available on the Hantek website thinking that updating would not break anything. So I downloaded the latest version from their website. When installing the firmware, it also updated the software at the same time, which went to 1.0.3.0.0 (240326.00) and the firmware to 3209. The fact is that everything seemed to be going well but this afternoon when trying new functions it started to go very slow. When you moved the signal with the vertical knob it left a trail that did not go away and even stopped and all the functions had a lot of lag, although without completely blocking. I tried doing a default setup but it was still wrong. So I downloaded again just the software from the repository that you uploaded and loaded it. I haven't touched the firmware and now it seems to be working fine, at least for now. Do you think I also have to downgrade the firmware or leave it as it is with the 3209. Thank you very much for your help.

PD: The USB connection program (DigitalScope) has stopped working and as you suggested, you updated Keysight IO Libraries and it now works fine. I don't know if it's a coincidence but after installing all the software on the oscilloscope I now notice the trigger is much more stable.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 08:17:19 am by Elextro »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2024, 02:21:36 am »
I can't tell as mine uses 3102, but from what I've read 3209 seems a bit unstable, try 3208, or just the original 3205.

I'm not the master of Hantek scopes, I just put everything together to make it easier for everyone, your question should be targetting the whole Hantek forum/community, not me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 02:23:57 am by DavidAlfa »

Offline Elextro

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2024, 08:25:39 am »
Thanks for your answer, I will ask the questions to the entire forum from now on. I imagine you are tired of being asked. In any case, I am considering selling this Hantek and paying the difference to get a low-end Rigol DS1102Z-E, which I imagine will be infinitely better than this oscilloscope. Greetings

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2024, 09:16:49 am »
I am considering selling this Hantek and paying the difference to get a low-end Rigol DS1102Z-E, which I imagine will be infinitely better than this oscilloscope. Greetings

The most important question with the DSO2000 is the price.
If you bought the DSO2D15, it was probably too expensive.
If you got it for ~$150, then it's fine.
You have a few Wow! moments and a few WTF? moments with it.
I'd keep it for the AWG alone until I get a better one.

The DS1102Z-E is certainly better, but not "infinitely" better.
And it doesn't have an AWG.

If I were to buy a new scope today, it would probably be a Siglent SDS804X HD
I think this scope is closer to "infinitely better".  :)

The following users thanked this post: eevbstedt

Offline Elextro

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2024, 12:21:28 pm »
I've seen the Siglent and it looks fantastic...but I don't know if I'll use it enough to get any use out of it. I often move on impulse and most of the time I buy things that I don't get the most out of later. I'll think about it though. I have asked Hantek about the firmware and am waiting to see if they respond. In the case that concerns me, at the moment, from the tests I have done, the "older" software gets along well with the more modern firmware. I notice better behavior with the signal and above all a great improvement in the trigger. We will continue testing to see. By the way, I have ordered the heatsinks for the integrated ones on the board and most likely, if I keep it, I will put a fan on it. Greetings.

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2024, 02:43:02 pm »
By the way, I have ordered the heatsinks for the integrated ones on the board and most likely, if I keep it, I will put a fan on it. Greetings.
I don't know if that is necessary.
So far I've only had sporadic problems when it's cold, 1 or 2 minutes after switching it on.
When it's warm, it works fine here.

Offline Elextro

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2024, 05:10:02 pm »
I wanted to ask you why I see the signal from the Hantek DSO2D15 as dirtier and more unstable than other oscilloscopes. I don't know if it's because it has less digital processing or what. What do you think? Could it be a problem of insufficient filtering of the power supply itself? Greetings

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2024, 06:40:15 pm »
I wanted to ask you why I see the signal from the Hantek DSO2D15 as dirtier and more unstable than other oscilloscopes. I don't know if it's because it has less digital processing or what. What do you think? Could it be a problem of insufficient filtering of the power supply itself? Greetings

I don't know exactly what you mean. Noise?
Do you have a picture or video of it?

Offline Elextro

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2024, 07:25:36 pm »
I mean that the lines look not very clean, with small artifacts, and if we raise the frequency the wave is not stable. If we look at the reviews of, for example, the Rigol, these waves are much cleaner and more stable. Which makes me suspect that the filtering of the built-in power supply must not be very good.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 07:29:18 pm by Elextro »

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2024, 08:23:52 pm »
I mean that the lines look not very clean, with small artifacts, and if we raise the frequency the wave is not stable. If we look at the reviews of, for example, the Rigol, these waves are much cleaner and more stable. Which makes me suspect that the filtering of the built-in power supply must not be very good.

As I said, without a picture I don't know what you mean.
It looks good here.

And "beautiful traces" don't necessarily show more information.
It may well be that Rigol is better, it is also more expensive.

Offline Elextro

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2024, 09:43:02 am »
Anyone can see the Rigol images in online reviews. They are clean, very clean. I have put several examples of my Hantek oscilloscope, all of them with the 20 Mhz filter disabled, if I activate it it lowers the noise a lot and improves stability, but of course I limit the bandwidth a lot. They also increase if I increase the memory depth to 400 Kpt. However, at 25 Mhz the wave is not stable in any way. Which makes me reaffirm that the filtering of the power supply must be quite poor. Has anyone increased the value of the power supply capacitors or added ferrites to the cables? The video that I cannot upload, although it is only a few seconds, due to server storage limitations, shows a wobbly sinusoidal image at 25 Mhz. By the way, I just saw that the noise is greater with the oscilloscope cold and of course if you have the probe at 10x that amplifies the signal noise more. Greetings
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 09:49:18 am by Elextro »

Offline Elextro

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2024, 10:22:45 am »
I've tried to emulate their generator signal and I can't get it to resemble yours even remotely. I have recorded the signal at 5Mhz with ohmic load and without ohmic load. And I have also recorded it at 1x without ohmic load. Thanks for your interest

Offline Elextro

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2024, 10:39:26 am »
I have observed that if I plug it in directly without the alligator cable that comes with the oscilloscope, the peaks on the sides of the signal improve, but I do not get a clean signal like yours.
Activating the 20Mhz filter improves the upper and lower ripple of the signal
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 10:58:10 am by Elextro »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf