Author Topic: Rigol DS1074Z or Hantek DSO1202E ?  (Read 3153 times)

Offline geoffreyHTopic starter

• Nobelios
Rigol DS1074Z or Hantek DSO1202E ?
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:32:15 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am new on the forum, and English is not my native language. So if you have some doubts about my request, or if my English seem to be bad, I am open to constructive remarks.

First of all, I am a french chemist and I am doing my thesis in Belfast (Northern Ireland / UK). I practice electronics as a hobby since 8-9 years, meanly teardown, repairing, reverse engineering laboratory equipment. I need a transportable oscilloscope, I hold an old analogical scope, a Philips 2x50MHz but I don't remember the model. Because I can't take my old fashioned television oversized scope of 8Kgs in plane, I am strongly interested by a DSO. Which is, sooooo lighter!

Due to my student position, I am not that rich, so I take a look to the Hantek, OWON, Rigol, ... brands. I don't need extra gadget features like Logic Analyser or multimeter. I hold a small USB PCB logic analyser that work fine for me and a good multi-meter.

I heard that Rigol is a brand name of Agilent, I known Agilent with the scientist stuff like X-Ray on single crystal, Gas Chromatography, etc. I am sure that Agilent is an excellent brand but what about Rigol?

I am interested by an oscilloscope with a good sampling rate, if possible a sufficient sampling memory and a good bandwidth. I would like to make some radio stuff as a training but most of my work require less than 50Mhz of bandwidth.

So, today I hesitate between two scopes:

The DS1074Z from Rigol and the DSO1202E from Hantek.

The DS1074Z come with the following parameters:
    100MHz,70MHz Bandwidth, 4 channels
    1G Sa/s Real-time Sample Rate
    12Mpts (Std.) and 24Mpts (Opt.) Memory Depth
    Innovative "UltraVision" technology
    Up to 30,000wfms/s Waveform Capture Rate
    Up to 60,000frames Real-time Waveform Record(Opt.)
    Low noise floor, Dynamic Range: 1mV/div to 10V/div
    Optional Serial Buses Triggering and Decoding(RS232,I2C,SPI)
    Multi- Levels intensity grading waveform display
    Built in 2 channels 25MHz waveform Generator(DS1000Z-S)
    Complete Connectivity: LAN(LXI Core Device 2011)?USB Host & Device, AUX,USB-GPIB(Opt.)
    Compact size, light weight, easy to use
    7 Inch WVGA (800x480), multiple intensity levels waveform display

The DSO1202E come with this :
    Five in one: Oscilloscope/Recorder/DMM/FFT Spectrum Analyzer/Frequency Counter.
    IP-51 rated for dust, drip and shake proof to withstand harsh environments.
    Large fuse confirms to European Safety Standard.
    Battery indicator with easy-changed connect points. Selectable 18650 battery box for matching 18650 battery by yourself.
    Anti-theft lock hole, tripod fixed hole, hang rope, FLASH light that can be used in darkness.
    Replaceable BNC safety joints, and additional one set of joints.
    High bandwidth 70MHz-200MHz Oscilloscope, 1GSa/s sample rate, 2M Memory depth.
    25Mz Arb. Waveform Generator, 200 Mesa/s DDS, 12 bit vertical resolution, easy for simulating transducer
    6000 Counts DMM, AC/DC voltage, AC/DC current, resistance, break, capacitance, and diode function.
    FFT spectral analysis; Waveform Math: add, subtract, multiply and divide; X-Y mode; more than 20 automatic measurements; PASS/FAIL Check function, apply to engineering application.
    Abundant trigger function, double timebase sampling, easy to observe two waveforms in different frequency.
    Record and replay of more than 1000 waveforms.
    Large 5.6 inch TFT Color LCD Display; High Resolution(640*480)
    USB Host/Device 2.0 full-speed interface; support removable disk;  WIFI/LAN Option, easy to control by PC or long-distance.
    Waveform data can be output in WORD?EXCEL, BMP, JPG as time and voltage.

The good point for the hantek is the portability, which is excellent for me, as well as a good bandwidth. I can use on on battery and it is smaller than the rigol.

But the most important thing to me is a good accuracy! I don't wand a gadget which is capable to make cafe in addition to be an shitty scope. I prefer to get a scope with a single function, a lower bandwidth but a good sampling rate a sufficient memory and an excellent or good accuracy.

It is difficult for me to chose one, I can't find a review on the hantek. And most of the things I have read on the hantek, on this forum, google and on YouTube videos are not really excellent. And the EEV youtube video account seam to be eulogistic about Rigol's stuff.

Links :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rigol-DS1074Z-70-MHz-Digital-Oscilloscope-with-4-channels-/151669969258?hash=item23503c116a:g:fqIAAOSwqu9VRy4N
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIP-TPDAY-DSO1202E-Hantek-200MHz-1GS-s-5-in-1-Rugged-Handheld-Oscilloscope-/252148593538?hash=item3ab53a3382:g:0dsAAOSw9mFWMzc2

From Rigol's website
http://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/Rigol-DS1074Z-Digital-Oscilloscope-p/ds1074z.htm#.Vjj9XitbyG0

From Hantek's website
http://www.hantek.com/en/ProductDetail_1_158.html

Many thanks for your help. :-DMM
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:41:03 pm by geoffreyH »
Mehhhhh, I will do it tomorrow.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1074Z or Hantek DSO1202E ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 08:43:26 pm »
I haven't tried the Hantek but I own the Rigol DS1054Z which I've hacked to 100MHz and 24M memory. It's a good oscilloscope and can't be beaten for value for money. It will run off 48V so you could power it from 4 small lead acid batteries connected in series.

I have no experience with Hantek. Can it be hacked? If so don't bother with the DSO1202E, get the DSO1072E and hack it.

I also have the OWON SDS7102 which isn't as fast as the Rigol DS1054Z (slower waveform update rate), has only two channels rather than four and the user interface is a bit tricky but it has a large screen, is lighter than the Rigol and I got the version with a battery which I like.

Even though the Rigol DS1054Z is more powerful, I use the OWON SDS7102 because it's more portable and doesn't cost as much.

Offline geoffreyHTopic starter

• Nobelios
Re: Rigol DS1074Z or Hantek DSO1202E ?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:05:29 pm »
Many thanks for the reply.

I will see for the DS1054Z than seem to be reasonable and obviously hackable to 100Mhz, it is less expensive ~300£ which is the price from the uk rigol's website. The battery is not a requirement for me, I looking for something with acceptable size and weight and most of all, accurate and reactive.

Geoffrey
Mehhhhh, I will do it tomorrow.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf