Author Topic: Hantek DSO series freezing for a second after measuring ....  (Read 3519 times)

Offline alex_pescaruTopic starter

• Contributor
Hantek DSO series freezing for a second after measuring ....
« on: November 20, 2014, 08:03:57 pm »
Hantek (MCP) DQ1102D (DSO5102D equivalent).

Did you noticed that after you measure a signal, after you lift the probe from that signal, for a second the waveform freezes on the screen and only after that second the trace is coming back to zero?

Is it possible that this delay/freeze to be eliminated and the trace to behave just like on the analog scopes?

It's annoying especially when you use the scope to verify, lets say, power presence on various test points. After each point I have to wait that second for the trace to reset itself...

I mention here that the "persistence" is set to Auto.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:09:29 pm by alex_pescaru »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Hantek DSO series freezing for a second after measuring ....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:40:37 pm »
That is probably because the oscilloscopes waits a while after it has triggered. Try to set the trigger level well above or below the signal you are measuring.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:59:44 pm »
Thank you very much for the suggestion!
You are right, if I set my trigger level below GND, you can measure voltage levels without that annoying pause after each measurement.
It's obvious that I'm a newbie in this digital oscilloscope area....

But still, is there any possibility to eliminate this small pause/wait after each trigger, when you lift the probe?
In other words, like I've said, to behave like an analog scope?...

Is there anybody here who modified the firmware in depth from functionality point of view? Or any threads for this?
Thank you again!

Offline bobcat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:55:00 pm »
DSO's behave differently from analog scopes. They sample a sweep, then display the sweep. It isn't a firmware issue. It just alternates between sample and display, giving the delay. To avoid a delay like you are talking about, set the trigger to auto with a fast sweep rate, like 1 ms/div.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:38:23 pm »
The delay is about 1 (one) second, invariably just about 1 second, and this is true on all ranges, from 1 ms/div to 10 ns/div.
The scope's working perfectly, refreshing the display at an 50Hz forced refresh rate, but when lifting the probe from the test point, the scope's freezing for 1 second with the last signal on the screen. Then it resets to 0.

As nctnico pointed out, it seems to be trigger related, as this is true only when the scope's managing to trigger.
And I don't know how to look at it... a feature or a glitch... Well I'll get used with it.

But now the firmware question remains... Did somebody managed to disassemble/modify/improve the software itself?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:40:40 pm by alex_pescaru »

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 10:02:20 am »
The delay is about 1 (one) second, invariably just about 1 second, and this is true on all ranges, from 1 ms/div to 10 ns/div.
The scope's working perfectly, refreshing the display at an 50Hz forced refresh rate, but when lifting the probe from the test point, the scope's freezing for 1 second with the last signal on the screen. Then it resets to 0.

As nctnico pointed out, it seems to be trigger related, as this is true only when the scope's managing to trigger.
And I don't know how to look at it... a feature or a glitch... Well I'll get used with it.

But now the firmware question remains... Did somebody managed to disassemble/modify/improve the software itself?

Thanks!
I have just bought an Owon HDS1022M-N. It behaves in the same annoying way.
I believe that this is intentional behavior, not a performance limitation, therefore unnecessary.
If I wanted the displayed waveform to freeze after trigger loss, I would select Normal mode for that.

Extra: I can mimic this behavior on my HP 54645A by setting the Hold Off to 1 second.
I'm starting to wonder if all toy class DSOs have the same set of annoyances.
I noticed some time ago, a universal lack of a setting to move the trigger zero reference  from center screen.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:21:52 am by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline Microcheap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 02:21:49 pm »

There is a setting in the display menu do change that annoyance, check this post:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-dso5102p-niggle/msg2504655/#msg2504655

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 03:18:33 am »
I contacted Owon. This unwanted behavior can't be corrected.
By comparison, my HP DSO times out at 40mS.
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf