Author Topic: Can you spot it? (ITech 8511+ DC Load)  (Read 2256 times)

Offline BillBTopic starter

• Supporter
Can you spot it? (ITech 8511+ DC Load)
« on: March 06, 2018, 05:51:04 pm »
Looking to pick up an inexpensive programmable load, I peruse fleabay for some hidden treasures.  I come across a few auctions that have absorbed this picture of the venerable Itech 8511+.

I was strangely attracted to it, and remarked to myself how nice it looked.  The first couple of photos are from this auction (I've blocked out the seller watermark) and the last one shows the actual 8511+.

Can you spot the difference?    ;D

If you aren't familiar with the Itech/Maynuo/BK/clone line of loads, these usually have a dual-line, segmented VFD.  I was pleasantly surprised to see this model having a display upgrade.  Well, zooming in on the picture reveals the trick.   :-DD

For giggles, I decided to order one to see what would actually show up, given this particular seller promised US stock and quick delivery.  Well, it was true.  The US stock and quick delivery, that is.  On my porch I found a beat-up, oblong 4 pound box.   :wtf:  Even before opening I knew this was too small/light to be the item so I sent the seller a note.  They asked if I would open it and send pictures.  Upon opening it up, I received a brand new box of shiny... window tinting film.

Through many days of US->China time delays and translations, they promised to send another.  After finding the new tracking number for the replacement, I noticed the shipping weight of 4 lbs...   :palm:

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Can you spot it? (ITech 8511+ DC Load)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 06:52:24 pm »
Interesting!  The display update may actually be real if the "manufacturer" was having trouble sourcing the original VFDs.
I did have a little look around though, and the only ones I saw with the dot-matrix style display were IT8811 model.

I have an IT8511+ that I bought in 2011 and it has the VFD 7 segment top line, and the 14 segment bottom line - as in your third photo.
I got it from http://stores.ebay.com.au/smtzone aka http://stores.ebay.com/AideTech-USA
I have bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years (not recently though) and not had an issue - YMMV, and their prices may not be the same as your seller.
I also have an earlier IT8511 (not the plus) but no idea where that came from other than China...

Oh,  :-DD  I just saw what you are talking about - "TRIPLE OUTPUT POWER SUPPLY"!!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:51:13 am by Kean »

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:07:45 pm »
 ;D

Yeah, I actually was negotiating an offer to Aidetech's limited-time sale auction of the same item, but that's when my seller said they found the correct item and offered to ship it.  In hindsight, I should have just taken the refund and purchased elsewhere, but I'm a sucker for mysteries.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 08:50:56 am »
Good luck sorting things out with the problem seller.  That is pretty dodgy when they doctor the photos.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:37:57 pm »
Well, surprisingly, a brand new 10 lb 8511+ arrived in a "4 lb" box.  I was thinking I would be getting old stock, but the calibration report was dated 12/2017.  The display was exactly as it should be, not like the doctored photo.  :-+

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 04:15:42 pm »
Good to hear  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf