Author Topic: Rigol DS1000Z now comes unlocked  (Read 39628 times)

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Rigol DS1000Z now comes unlocked
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2018, 03:34:47 pm »
i cant see the relevance.
you arent implementing a canbus interface, your just displaying the data already present.
Well, in order to display the decoded data you need a CAN interpreter to show the logical data present on the wire. If you are only looking at waveforms on the screen, no licensing is needed.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2018, 03:38:15 pm »
You won't need a licence to interpret the waveform, the can protocol is widely and publicly documented, anyone can sit down and write software to convert the waveform to the identifier and the message contents, what you then do after that may need a licence

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2018, 03:38:46 pm »
there is often a lot of confusion between "CAN bus" and "the J1939 standard" How CAN bus itself works is well documented and there are free programs for writing files for it so I doubt the hardware layer has licensing problems. You will find problems if you want say J1939 decoding but this is not CAN bus per se it's a protocol layer that sits on the hardware layer used in most vehicles. Where I work for example we tend to have two CAN buses in our ECU, one for the vehicle that talks the J1939 protocol and our own that just uses whatever we want and has nothing to do with J1939. I once bought a book by a muppet that pretended to explain the J1939 standard and I was suspicious when I bought it because J1939 does require a license. and in fact the book did not explain that much about J1939, it actually explained all about the hardware layer (3 times) and then waffed all over the J1939 standard without giving any detail other than a couple of examples. The book went straight back to amazon for the joke it was, there was so much repetition in it's 70 pages that it felt like Mr trump's inauguration speech....
Thanks for the explanation, Simon. I should have prefaced my post with the fact that the last time I thoroughly looked into it was in the last millenium (1998). :P
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2018, 04:40:38 pm »
SCNR :)
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Zermalmer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2018, 07:28:27 pm »
 :-DD

Offline Zermalmer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2018, 10:03:20 pm »
Totally forgot to report, that I got my certificate which allows me to create related licence key. :-+
So everything went well... certificate and licence will be moved to the folder with related documents  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf