Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 1170196 times)

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #2975 on: September 14, 2024, 07:28:01 am »
bought 4 MSO5074.
got 2 of them at home to "upgrade" them.
The first one took me a while . Needed to install Python and a number of packages.
As far as the 2nd one is concerned... 10 min at most is all what I needed...
both are fully upgraded.
impressive.
thanks a lot again for the fantastic work.
any advice for a good quality 50ohms BNC feedthrough adapter ?

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2976 on: September 14, 2024, 09:57:36 am »
bought 4 MSO5074.
got 2 of them at home to "upgrade" them.
The first one took me a while . Needed to install Python and a number of packages.
As far as the 2nd one is concerned... 10 min at most is all what I needed...
both are fully upgraded.
impressive.
thanks a lot again for the fantastic work.
any advice for a good quality 50ohms BNC feedthrough adapter ?

Well done
Yeah.. when installing python and before running this script there are Modules that need to be installed that are not standard in python.
But after you get past that it's 5 to 10 mins to get it sorted, Per scope

As for the BNC,   .... No, no brand name really comes to mind
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline qmichl

« Reply #2977 on: September 14, 2024, 04:42:11 pm »
I upgraded a MSO5072 some time ago, it has now 4 channel, 350MHz bandwidth, etc. But the SCPI command "*IDN?" still reports that it is a MSO5072, not a MSO5374. Is there a way to change that?

Offline albedo

« Reply #2978 on: September 16, 2024, 07:17:53 am »
 Hello, I have the following recurring problem after updating to the latest firmware version (00.01.03.03.00).
Problem: |O
• When performing the autocalibration only 6% is reached and then it stops with the message "Status : Error: Data line" (see image). Without the complete autocalibration the oscilloscope is not reliable in its measurements.

2373091-0

Note: I remember that I had this problem when I updated the firmware in previous versions and to solve it I pressed one or a group of buttons and a hidden menu was activated and I could select which elements would pass the autocalibration and deselect the logic analyzer (LA) since not having the probe it was obvious that the error was produced by this, and with this the autocalibration went well and without problems. I have used this oscilloscope again after some time and I have forgotten the trick to activate this hidden menu (not the pre-boot menu with the Single button)... Does anyone know? I really appreciate your work.

Offline rpro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2979 on: September 16, 2024, 05:35:47 pm »
Hello, I have the following recurring problem after updating to the latest firmware version (00.01.03.03.00).
• When performing the autocalibration only 6% is reached and then it stops with the message "Status : Error: Data line" (see image). Without the complete autocalibration the oscilloscope is not reliable in its measurements.

(Attachment Link)

Note: I remember that I had this problem when I updated the firmware in previous versions and to solve it I pressed one or a group of buttons and a hidden menu was activated and I co Muld select which elements would pass the autocalibration and deselect the logic analyzer (LA) since not having the probe it was obvious that the error was produced by this, and with this the autocalibration went well and without problems. I have used this oscilloscope again after some time and I have forgotten the trick to activate this hidden menu (not the pre-boot menu with the Single button)... Does anyone know? I really appreciate your work.

To enter "Project mode", with the scope fully booted, press MENU MENU FORCE MENU.

Also, see:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg4444330/#msg4444330

« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 09:31:26 pm by rpro »

The following users thanked this post: albedo

Offline albedo

« Reply #2980 on: September 17, 2024, 04:17:47 am »

(Attachment Link)

Note: I remember that I had this problem when I updated the firmware in previous versions and to solve it I pressed one or a group of buttons and a hidden menu was activated and I co Muld select which elements would pass the autocalibration and deselect the logic analyzer (LA) since not having the probe it was obvious that the error was produced by this, and with this the autocalibration went well and without problems. I have used this oscilloscope again after some time and I have forgotten the trick to activate this hidden menu (not the pre-boot menu with the Single button)... Does anyone know? I really appreciate your work.

To enter "Project mode", with the scope fully booted, press MENU MENU FORCE MENU.

Also, see:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg4444330/#msg4444330

Thanks, you saved my day! :-+ :-+ :-+
Note: I've noticed that with the latest firmware version (00.01.03.03.00) you have to press the buttons for this project mode or the secret pre-boot menu faster than with previous versions, so don't be frustrated if it doesn't work on the first try.  :-BROKE
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 04:20:27 am by albedo »

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2981 on: September 27, 2024, 05:29:30 pm »
Let me have a play with that, i imagine it's going to be rather simple.  Give me a few days to get myself sorted with this
You got it. Thank you, going above and beyond.  :clap:

Hi Mick sorry for being a stranger, a lot has been going on.

Re your question about changing the Model Number

I can confirm you can now get the MSO5000 Up to 500MHz bandwidth instead of the posted 350MHz
and you're going to find that your timebase will go as fast as 500ps

YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE MODEL NUMBER TO  MSO5504

Quick Note : on the rigol site the highest model that we know of is  MSO5354  and Most of us have MSO5074.
The naming Convention is
MSO = MIXED SIGNAL OSCILLOSCOPE
1st Number = Denotes the series, 5 = 5000 7=7000  8=8000 series
2nd and 3rd Numbers = Denotes The bandwidth
last Number = Denotes Number of Channels

Re 2nd and 3rd Numbers / Bandwidth    07 = 70MHz , 10=100MHz, and 35=350MHz  and this is where it stops
HOWEVER....  50 = 500MHz
Hence if you change MSO5074  or MSO5104 or MSO5354   to  MSO5504
Your scope will unlock 500MHz

If you go into the ABOUT Menu (if done correctly) you will see it will say  (MAX BANDWIDTH 500)
You will also notice that in the OPTIONS list  Bandwidth up to 200MHz and 350MHz will have disappeared

To do so you need to follow the following 5 steps
Take a degree of caution as SSH is required to do this and you need to edit the sysvendor file.
In saying that, don't be too afraid to do it , However,  don't be as careless and carefree as you would be with just activating with the python script
as we have put fail safes into the python script, There are no fail safes when using SSH,
But.. If you follow the instructions you should be fine.

I HAVE ATTACHED THE PYTHON SCRIPT THAT YOU NEED TO USE

Take note : The model number change happens at STEP 3    --model <your_desired_model>
so it looks like this  --model MSO5504
Code: [Select]
# if this fails at any step don't go further as it will brick your device
# before you start make sure you add sshd at boot, so you can still access the device via ssh if something goes wrong
#1 -> save current sysvendor
python3 rigol_mso_util_2.13b.py --save-sysvendor <rigol_ip_address>

#2 -> find the device xxtea key (2 versions)
python3 rigol_mso_util_2.13b.py --sysvendor-key --sysvendor-key-slow <rigol_ip_address>
or
python3 rigol_mso_util_2.13b.py --sysvendor-key --sysvendor-key-fast <rigol_ip_address>

#3 -> change sysvendor model in sysvendor file (can also be used on --mac and --serial)
python3 rigol_mso_util_2.13b.py --offline --sysvendor-file <file_saved_at_step_1> --use-sysvendor-key <key_from_step_2> --model <your_desired_model>

#4 -> write modified sysvendor to device
python3 rigol_mso_util_2.13b.py --write-sysvendor --write-sysvendor-file <file_from_step_3> <rigol_ip_address>

#5 -> reactivate licenses
python3 rigol_mso_util_2.13b.py --regen <rigol_ip_address>

HOPE THAT HELPS
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 05:36:32 pm by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

The following users thanked this post: blubillcanada, lownoise

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2982 on: September 28, 2024, 08:10:39 am »

BUT the bandwidth will not go to 500 MHz!!!!!  :horse: :horse:

MSO5000 can't do 500MHz!

Nonetheless, yes, one can have the beautiful "MSO5504" model name on screen that every engineer wishes for.

Offline qmichl

« Reply #2983 on: September 28, 2024, 08:55:21 am »
MSO5000 can't do 500MHz!

Nonetheless, yes, one can have the beautiful "MSO5504" model name on screen that every engineer wishes for.

Well, mine has -3dB bandwidth at 590MHz. For sure there is a significant level drop on 500MHz, but on the other hand 500ps/div is unlocked with that as well, which might be a more handy feature than 500MHz BW in some cases.

@BTO, thanks for sharing the script and instruction to change the model number. It worked for me after I got into trouble at the first attempt. There I made a typo in step 3 which caused that an invalid model number was used and I proceeded with the instructions as I did not recognize this. The result was that the scope had all options disabled and the system info screen did not show any model number anymore. My idea was to fix that by doing a recovery by running step 4 with the sysvendor file from step 1. That was not possible as the script crashed as it could not read a valid model number from the device. I was able to overcome that by appending the "--model <some valid model>" to the command, with that a succesfull recovery worked.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2984 on: September 28, 2024, 09:46:04 am »
Well, mine has -3dB bandwidth at 590MHz. For sure there is a significant level drop on 500MHz, but on the other hand 500ps/div is unlocked with that as well, which might be a more handy feature than 500MHz BW in some cases.

A BW sweep picture is always welcome.

Maybe Rigol is improving the machine due to sales decline or left the best for last...

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2985 on: September 28, 2024, 11:31:46 am »

BUT the bandwidth will not go to 500 MHz!!!!!  :horse: :horse:

MSO5000 can't do 500MHz!

No No... I understand your concern, But it does go to 500MHz, it's not just a cosmetic change of the Model Number.
I understand that 6months to a year ago we were talking about the same thing and it never took off and we were under the understanding
that it couldn't be done, Just like we also learned that we can patch the scope, Get Eye analysis and Bode but in reality it doesnt' actually work.
so i can confirm the MSO5000 does actually go to 500MHz (to be technical about it, i tested it to 470MHz with a Siggen i Borrowed)
and it worked just fine, i also noticed my timebase is now as fast as 500ps, also noticed with the built in GenI and GenII on Sine Wave
that used to go to 25MHz and realistically had a massive drop in amplitude as you approached 25MHz (which is understandable) it's not longer happening

So yeah, it works , it's not just cosmetic.
Have you actually tried it yet on your scope ?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2986 on: September 28, 2024, 11:36:42 am »
MSO5000 can't do 500MHz!

@BTO, thanks for sharing the script and instruction to change the model number. It worked for me after I got into trouble at the first attempt. There I made a typo in step 3 which caused that an invalid model number was used and I proceeded with the instructions as I did not recognize this. The result was that the scope had all options disabled and the system info screen did not show any model number anymore. My idea was to fix that by doing a recovery by running step 4 with the sysvendor file from step 1. That was not possible as the script crashed as it could not read a valid model number from the device. I was able to overcome that by appending the "--model <some valid model>" to the command, with that a succesfull recovery worked.

First of all,  WELL DONE for the recovery

Secondly, i got to 470MHz without issue,  i borrowed a SigGen and just had it for an hour so it was a rushed test.
i'm planning on getting a SigGen that goes up to 1GHz to test this , but right now i have more important things.

I do agree though that the 500ps/Div is amazing and on it's own it has benefits even if the 500MHz bandwidth wasn't there

Have you noticed though when you using the built in Gen that when you go up to 25MHz on Sine Wave that it no longer drops off in ampltude ?
Mine used to drop off (When activated and 350MHz was active) it used to drop off at around 20MHz ish and by the time i got to 25MHz
it was around half the amplitude of the wave specified.
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2987 on: September 28, 2024, 11:39:43 am »

A BW sweep picture is always welcome.

Maybe Rigol is improving the machine due to sales decline or left the best for last...

Of course... My apologies, i only had the SigGen for like an hour
i am planning to get my hands on a decent 1GHz SigGen and when that happens, I'm more than happy to upload the photos.
but in this case, i was rushed to get it back and didn't have the time .

Seems to be a bit of a pain in the arse to try and create one that goes to 1GHz on the bench
but hey... i'll keep trying to get one (that is reasonably price) of course,   i'm not looking to spend $15k on this thing

But from what i have seen, it does go to 500MHz and is realiable (From my end up to 470MHz and the other bloke said 490MHz)
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

The following users thanked this post: tcottle

Offline sorenkir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2988 on: September 29, 2024, 08:40:23 am »

MSO5000 can't do 500MHz!

Hi,
My MSO5074 with option BW07T3, without any hack of model number has a -3dB bandwidth of about 620MHz (Ch.1@100mV/div).
Measured with a signal generator R&S SMIQ03B, an external 50ohm feedthrough (Radiall R405005)  and a Radiall cable.
The diagram below is compensated for cable losses (measured separately with a power meter) :

Michel.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 02:19:24 pm by sorenkir »

The following users thanked this post: Protegimus

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2989 on: September 29, 2024, 09:12:12 am »

MSO5000 can't do 500MHz!

Hi,
My MSO5074 with option BW7T3, without any hack of model number has a -3dB bandwidth of about 620MHz.
Measured with a signal generator R&S SMIQ03B, an external 50ohm feedthrough (Radiall R405005)  and a Radiall cable.
The diagram below is compensated for cable losses (measured separately with a power meter) :

Michel.

Good Work, Well done, thank you
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline Retired2

« Reply #2990 on: September 29, 2024, 02:41:01 pm »
Very good work. Thank you.
I checked my 5354 using my Marconi 2945A and I found similar response as shown on the graph. I didn't plot mine.
So the next question would be what response would one observe on a 5XXX model with a model change to 5504?
Would there be a flattening of the response to 700Mhz??

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2991 on: September 29, 2024, 04:53:13 pm »
Very good work. Thank you.
I checked my 5354 using my Marconi 2945A and I found similar response as shown on the graph. I didn't plot mine.
So the next question would be what response would one observe on a 5XXX model with a model change to 5504?
Would there be a flattening of the response to 700Mhz??
What ???
are you saying you have a MSO5354 (so.. Up to 350MHz) and you've tested it and confirmed it goes up to or close to 500MHz ?
Because when mine was on 350MHz (i started with MSO5074) mine didn't go up to 500MHz
but after i upgraded it to 500MHz (MSO5504) It went up to 470Mhz i think it was , i noticed my time base now goes to 500ps,
i noticed that my SigGen I and II can go up to 25MHz without any reduction in amplitude.

But no, i don't think it'll go to 700MHz , i haven't seen that result in my scope
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline qmichl

« Reply #2992 on: September 29, 2024, 06:26:56 pm »
Attached the comparison of 350MHz and 500MHz model. Both measured by RS FS315 tracking generator with cable compensation.

Offline qmichl

« Reply #2993 on: September 29, 2024, 06:38:01 pm »
Have you noticed though when you using the built in Gen that when you go up to 25MHz on Sine Wave that it no longer drops off in ampltude ?
Mine used to drop off (When activated and 350MHz was active) it used to drop off at around 20MHz ish and by the time i got to 25MHz

Maybe that is some thing special with your device or your setup.

I have not seen that. Attached some comparison of the frequency range of generator 1 between 350MHz and 500MHz model. It has been done by running a slow sweep by the generator while a connected spectrum analyzer trace is configured to hold maximum.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2994 on: September 29, 2024, 06:40:16 pm »
Attached the comparison of 350MHz and 500MHz model. Both measured by RS FS315 tracking generator with cable compensation.

...... Wow, So apparently Both are identical .
So how high in Frequency did you get before it rolled off, i mean the graph shows 100MHz then 1GHz
Did you get to 500, 600, 700 ???
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2995 on: September 29, 2024, 06:45:13 pm »

Maybe that is some thing special with your device or your setup.

I have not seen that. Attached some comparison of the frequency range of generator 1 between 350MHz and 500MHz model. It has been done by running a slow sweep by the generator while a connected spectrum analyzer trace is configured to hold maximum.

Nothing special beyond
- Upgrade via the Python File Version 13b
- Edit of the sysvendor file  to change the model to MSO5504

Once that was done i noticed Timebase as fast as 500ps
i noticed my SigGen was more responsive and had more amplitude at the higher end where it usually dropped of in Amplitude (As Expected)

The thing i'm finding interesting is that when the scope is licensed up to 350MHz, it still achieves 500MHz
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline qmichl

« Reply #2996 on: September 29, 2024, 07:05:06 pm »

So how high in Frequency did you get before it rolled off, i mean the graph shows 100MHz then 1GHz

yes, on higher frequency I did 100MHz steps, on lower frequencies I did only 3 steps. The frequency scale is logarithmic.

The integrated frequency counter works up to 850MHz, above that it starts to show odd values. I guess that is the limit to get something useful out of the scope.

The following users thanked this post: Protegimus

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2997 on: September 29, 2024, 07:12:43 pm »

It's still very good though, the highest reported so far is 510MHz, I personally got 470MHz (i think it was) out of it
However in all fairness that was a quick and rushed test as i had limited time with the borrow of the Sig Gen .
I'm looking at getting one that goes up to 1GHz but it won't happen this month as i have a lot on, but it's definitely on my list.

In any case, Originally we all wanted to get 350MHz Bandwidth out of it,   that's been Achieved.
and we were then trying to squeeze as much out of it as possible, which.. Also has been done  :P

Given the recent information of users that have a 350MHz licensed scope but are getting results up to 500MHz.....
I suppose in all fairness , when i upgraded to 350MHz i didn't actually test it beyond that (at that time)
and now we have people reporting with 350MHz upgrade that they are getting 500Mhz............ That's cool.
Interesting and confusing.. But still cool
yes, on higher frequency I did 100MHz steps, on lower frequencies I did only 3 steps. The frequency scale is logarithmic.

The integrated frequency counter works up to 850MHz, above that it starts to show odd values. I guess that is the limit to get something useful out of the scope.
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline Retired2

« Reply #2998 on: October 01, 2024, 01:09:17 pm »
Since many have gotten different results from their MSO scopes having upgraded the bandwidth I thought i would try mine.

I have a MSSO5354 model with the only change from when i bought is is unlocking the "options" No change to the model number. And no bandwidth upgrade was available.

I used a  MARCONI 2945A as a signal source this unit upper signal frequency is 1.05Ghz.

My 5354 sufficiently topped at 725Mhz. Then of course the thought arises what would happen if the model was changed to a 5504??

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2999 on: October 01, 2024, 01:25:54 pm »
Since many have gotten different results from their MSO scopes having upgraded the bandwidth I thought i would try mine.

I have a MSSO5354 model with the only change from when i bought is is unlocking the "options" No change to the model number. And no bandwidth upgrade was available.

I used a  MARCONI 2945A as a signal source this unit upper signal frequency is 1.05Ghz.

My 5354 sufficiently topped at 725Mhz. Then of course the thought arises what would happen if the model was changed to a 5504??

In your case i wouldn't even bother changing it to 5504  as that would mean 500MHz
Following the convention
MSO = Mixed Signal Oscilloscope
5      = 5000 Series
XX    = Denotes the Frequency without the last Zero
4      = This digit denotes the amount of channels

So perhaps you might try for 800MHz  900MHz  or 1000MHz
I would be trying
MSO5804
MSO5904
I don't think we can squeeze in 1GHz  Maybe try
MSO5954    to get to 950MHz,  i doubt this will work... but hey......... Worth a try
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf