Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope  (Read 1596376 times)

Romadm and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #825 on: January 08, 2024, 05:44:32 pm »
I take it that you have confirmed that you have the right WiFi adapter version (TL-WN725N, version 2.0 or 3.0)? Do you still have the USB hub connected, from the initial setup via the keyboard? If so, it's worth a try to remove it and plug the WiFi dongle into the scope directly.

I have tried with and without the hub.  In order to reduce the chances of a problem, I bought it using the Amazon link provided.  Bottom of the package identifies it as: TL-WN725N(US) Ver 3.6, UPC Code: 845973050719

For shits and giggles, I plugged it into my Windows Laptop, the driver appeared to identify as a Realtek 8188EU.  After playing with it more, I'd say it's working less than 1 in 5 times.  I haven't been able to get it to work in at least 10 reboots.

Few other observations: The physical keyboard seems to work consistently.  I tried the USB WiFi in my computer twice, and both times the little green light in the device turned on.

So, it's possible that the USB connection in the Rigol is faulty, but this seems very unlikely.  It's possible the WiFi dongle is faulty (seems unlikely) or it's the wrong chipset (also seems unlikely).  If it is the dongle, I might be able to exchange it at Amazon.  The other possibility is that installing the bandwidth/memory updates somehow hosed everything up.  Seems unlikely too, but it's got to be something, right?  Other people are presumably not having this problem.

My 804 will not link to my netgear DS104 hub, I had to use a switch.
I don't think your USB-A port is bad, probably a driver issue. What does the green light mean on the USB wifi adapter? Just power, or communicating with host?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 05:47:08 pm by Randy222 »

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #826 on: January 08, 2024, 05:51:21 pm »
No battery?  I thought I saw a version, I'll have to go back and look, that had two batteries that slipped into the back?  Either way, there are hundreds of USBC options including solar.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #827 on: January 08, 2024, 06:03:02 pm »
No battery?  I thought I saw a version, I'll have to go back and look, that had two batteries that slipped into the back?  Either way, there are hundreds of USBC options including solar.
..... any options need to provide around 37watt of power for 800 series, possibly a smidge more on the 900 series when using the logic input stuff.
Considering the 800/900's don't seem to manage input power (USB PD), a simple 15v PSU with barrel connector would have sufficed. USB PD is good for when the PSU is home for multi power sinks.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #828 on: January 08, 2024, 06:04:06 pm »
??? Weren't you happy with your all-in-wonder Micsig? Or, afterall, their screen/UI was not so good??

I'm very happy with the Micsig, I don't regret buying it at all.

Things have moved on though.

Offline hpmaxim

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #829 on: January 08, 2024, 08:35:56 pm »
I don't know what the green light is. I noticed it when I plugged it into my laptop.   I presume it's some sort of activity light.

It wouldn't shock me if it's a driver issue but I'm using the adapter that the instructions say to get, I even bought it from the same Amazon link.  There is a version discrepancy (they say to use V2 or 3, but this seems to be V3.6) -- however,  it identifies as a Realtek 8188EU, which is what the V3 allegedly is,  so you'd think that would be okay.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #830 on: January 08, 2024, 10:56:21 pm »
I don't know what the green light is. I noticed it when I plugged it into my laptop.   I presume it's some sort of activity light.

It wouldn't shock me if it's a driver issue but I'm using the adapter that the instructions say to get, I even bought it from the same Amazon link.  There is a version discrepancy (they say to use V2 or 3, but this seems to be V3.6) -- however,  it identifies as a Realtek 8188EU, which is what the V3 allegedly is,  so you'd think that would be okay.
Which item specifically?
The one that works should be the TP-Link TL-WN725N. I just orderd it from amzon for $10(US), just to try it.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #831 on: January 09, 2024, 12:14:47 am »
Most likely you have seen an amateur mod. There is such a video on YouTube.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #832 on: January 09, 2024, 12:33:16 am »
I tried the USB WiFi in my computer twice, and both times the little green light in the device turned on.
My green light also lights up when I connect the adapter to the computer, but when the adapter is connected to the scope, this green light does not light up, although the adapter works stably and the scope is connected to the network. Adapter - TP-LINK TL-WN725N.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 12:35:57 am by AndyBig »

Offline hpmaxim

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #833 on: January 09, 2024, 03:35:56 am »
I tried the USB WiFi in my computer twice, and both times the little green light in the device turned on.
My green light also lights up when I connect the adapter to the computer, but when the adapter is connected to the scope, this green light does not light up, although the adapter works stably and the scope is connected to the network. Adapter - TP-LINK TL-WN725N.

This is what I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IFXQFU?th=1

This is what I received:

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #834 on: January 09, 2024, 04:47:56 am »
I don’t have a DHO800, but if you can run the Linux dmesg command in an ADB command line, the kernel should post messages that could indicate what’s going wrong with the Wi-Fi adapter when you plug it in.

Offline hpmaxim

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #835 on: January 09, 2024, 05:41:23 am »
I don’t have a DHO800, but if you can run the Linux dmesg command in an ADB command line, the kernel should post messages that could indicate what’s going wrong with the Wi-Fi adapter when you plug it in.

Sorry for asking if you could spoonfeed me here, but could you elaborate on exactly what to do?  I don't have much experience using ADB.

Offline Proxy64

• Contributor
« Reply #836 on: January 09, 2024, 06:06:26 am »
Considering the 800/900's don't seem to manage input power (USB PD)
What I think understand with this trace (I got it with a FNB58), there is PD negotiations when the power supply is connected.
SOURCE give SourceCapabilities
SINK Make a request
SOURCE Accept
1975677-0

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #837 on: January 09, 2024, 07:49:38 am »
Sorry for asking if you could spoonfeed me here, but could you elaborate on exactly what to do?  I don't have much experience using ADB.
First, connect the ADB to the oscilloscope with the command: adb connect 192.168.x.x:55555 (1 in the screenshot). Of course, instead of 192.168.x.x, substitute the real IP address of the oscilloscope.
Then go to the command line of the oscilloscope with the command: adb shell (2 in the screenshot).
There, enter the command: dmesg >>/rigol/dmsg.txt (3 in the screenshot). This will create a file /rigol/dmsg.txt and direct all dmesg output to it.
Exit the oscilloscope command line with the command: exit (4 in the screenshot).
Download the dmsg.txt file from the oscilloscope with the command: adb pull /rigol/dmsg.txt (5 in the screenshot).
Now you have a dmsg.txt file in your adb directory, which you can open and view in any text editor.

I don’t know what to look for there, I’m not very friendly with Linux :) I hope that knowledgeable people can tell you this :)

Offline hpmaxim

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #838 on: January 09, 2024, 11:18:43 am »
First, connect the ADB to the oscilloscope with the command: adb connect 192.168.x.x:55555 (1 in the screenshot). Of course, instead of 192.168.x.x, substitute the real IP address of the oscilloscope.
Then go to the command line of the oscilloscope with the command: adb shell (2 in the screenshot).
There, enter the command: dmesg >>/rigol/dmsg.txt (3 in the screenshot). This will create a file /rigol/dmsg.txt and direct all dmesg output to it.
Exit the oscilloscope command line with the command: exit (4 in the screenshot).
Download the dmsg.txt file from the oscilloscope with the command: adb pull /rigol/dmsg.txt (5 in the screenshot).
Now you have a dmsg.txt file in your adb directory, which you can open and view in any text editor.

I don’t know what to look for there, I’m not very friendly with Linux :) I hope that knowledgeable people can tell you this :)

This seems potentially problematic.  I can't access it via WiFi if the problem is occuring, and if it's not, there's probably nothing to look at.  Maybe I could connect to it via Ethernet, but that might affect WiFi?  Other alternative might be via USB...  I could potentially connect a USB cable to the scope if I use the hub on the scope, but I'd think then I wouldn't want to connect via IP address.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #839 on: January 09, 2024, 12:31:04 pm »
This seems potentially problematic.  I can't access it via WiFi if the problem is occuring, and if it's not, there's probably nothing to look at.  Maybe I could connect to it via Ethernet, but that might affect WiFi?  Other alternative might be via USB...  I could potentially connect a USB cable to the scope if I use the hub on the scope, but I'd think then I wouldn't want to connect via IP address.
Indeed, when connecting to a LAN, the WiFi adapter loses its IP address, although it remains connected to the access point. It’s probably better to connect via USB, but unfortunately, I don’t know how to connect via ADB in this case.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #840 on: January 09, 2024, 02:38:29 pm »

You need to be on ethernet to see what the USB is doing.
Noted: dmesg on android is limited.

Connect your scope via wire, give it an IP via a keyboard and mouse (via usb hub) connected to the USB-A port.
Connect to the scope from PC or laptop using browser, just goto the IP address, etc.
Once confirmed the scope is connected to your network, unplug all from scope USB port
Using the ADB toolset, from your PC/laptop (assume windows), start a cmd shell, cd to the adb tools directory
then do this:

adb connect YourScopeIP:55555
adb shell
su -
dmesg -c
(this shows ring buffer, then clears it out)
dmesg (this should just show you blank, since the buffer was cleared)
lsusb

plug in the wifi dongle, wait about 2sec
lsusb
dmesg

hit enter to scroll as needed

copy this dmesg and lsusb text from your cmd window, post it here so we can see what it's complaining about.

then do
exit
exit
adb disconnect

As a test, I did that procedure, except I plugged in one of my Logitech USB adapters for wireless keyboard/mouse, and the android found new hardware, ID'd it as vendor Logitech, and attached it for use.
If the wifi dongle can't be attached to the host, the messages should indicate why.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 12:19:08 am by Randy222 »

The following users thanked this post: mwb1100

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #841 on: January 09, 2024, 05:39:22 pm »

This is what I received:
Well, a v3.6 may be the issue.
Did you follow a vid like this one, you kinda need the keyboard to do config through the gui. Get the dmesg info that I listed a post or so back from here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 05:42:09 pm by Randy222 »

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #842 on: January 09, 2024, 10:28:13 pm »
This is what I received:
I found the box from my adapter. It seems the same. The difference between EU and US, I think, is only in the frequency grid and maximum power.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #843 on: January 09, 2024, 10:31:24 pm »
I found the box from my adapter. It seems the same. The difference between EU and US, I think, is only in the frequency grid and maximum power.

You did spot the difference between "Ver 3.0" and "Ver. 3.6" though?

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #844 on: January 09, 2024, 11:50:51 pm »
You did spot the difference between "Ver 3.0" and "Ver. 3.6" though?
Yes, even earlier in the discussion. Of course, this could be the problem, but I don't think so.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #845 on: January 10, 2024, 12:03:42 am »
This is what I received:
The box label hpmaxim posted has "v3.6" with a distinctive extra "5G" printed. Not sure what that "5G" means, it's a 2.4GHz-only device.

TP-link driver download page shows the v3 linux driver is from 2018. But, Windows and MAC has a much newer publish date. So maybe the 2018 drivers were ok for the v3.0 stuff, but with v3.6 TP-link only updated Windows and MAC ?

Not sure, but I will have the nano soon to test with.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #846 on: January 10, 2024, 02:07:06 am »
The box label hpmaxim posted has "v3.6" with a distinctive extra "5G" printed. Not sure what that "5G" means, it's a 2.4GHz-only device.

TP-link driver download page shows the v3 linux driver is from 2018. But, Windows and MAC has a much newer publish date. So maybe the 2018 drivers were ok for the v3.0 stuff, but with v3.6 TP-link only updated Windows and MAC ?

Not sure, but I will have the nano soon to test with.
I'm sure that the 5G on the label has nothing to do with the frequency or type of connection, it's something official, like the designation of a specific factory, or order number or something like that :)
On the TP-Link website there is support for simply version 3 without specifying subversions, so this subversion should not have any meaning for the host. Most likely it reflects minor changes in the gland. For example, a different antenna, a different layout, a different type of plastic in the end :) But the chip remains the same, with the same characteristics and the same interface to the host.
I don't rule out the possibility that this could create connection problems, but I'll be very surprised if it turns out to be true :)

Offline S2084

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #847 on: January 10, 2024, 04:17:24 am »
I bought the required WIFI adapter on the second try.  The chip we need here is the REALTEK RTL8188EU.  The first realtek rtl8188CU I bought does not work with rigol.!!!

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #848 on: January 10, 2024, 01:42:24 pm »
I bought the required WIFI adapter on the second try.  The chip we need here is the REALTEK RTL8188EU.  The first realtek rtl8188CU I bought does not work with rigol.!!!
What laser etching is on the No-Go nano? Are they the same model # ?

Offline S2084

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #849 on: January 10, 2024, 02:25:44 pm »
there is no engraving there, I showed it in the photo..... I bought both adapters according to the principle of the chip I needed, and not according to the adapter model number....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf