Author Topic: Hacking the HDO1k/HDO4k Rigol 12 bit scope  (Read 181753 times)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Hacking the HDO1k/HDO4k Rigol 12 bit scope
« Reply #425 on: January 13, 2023, 08:22:05 pm »
Did you try it and doesn't work for you?  :D

Burden of proof doesn't work that way.

Online markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #426 on: January 14, 2023, 10:28:41 am »

You're getting a high bandwidth, touch screen, 12-bit, super low noise 'scope with all options for a little over $1000 ...

... and you're complaining there's no release notes?

People wake up! This is not a scope only for us EEVblog readers. Imagine that there are much more people that use it. Now they feel the need for a better Fw. On the other hand Rigol has already realased a new fw. from October as I remember, and a second one in January. But they put that fw. only into HDO4K download section, and they omit to put crucial instructions Without this,  the fw does not install. (explaining that you need to put both fw in a succesive manner or that you need to rename the file  from DHO to HDO). And that it is also for HDO1K. It's not a caprice, it's a need. This is unprofessional by any definition. You simply can't do that ...

Skander, no one is saying to you that you are not right in principle, but this is not the point.

If you want an instrument with a mature software inside, ready to use without any glitch out of the box, you simply do NOT buy the last that has been put on the catalog, this rule applies to many electronic devices.

I'm a pragmatic man, I was aware of the risk and considered the premium price for 12bits / 2Gs/s 100Mpts I purchased my HDO1074 for less than 1100 euros VAT included and now, with FW upgrade applied, I'm proficiently using and I do not see any vantage to join the Rigol bashers Armada that is operating here for economic interests.

It's enough to stay tuned to see what happens next and share any discovery in the meantime.

Online markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #427 on: January 14, 2023, 10:32:03 am »
Just got my 1074 :) After some poking around using ADB I have discovered that the only way to authenticate to SSH is using the keys:
Code: [Select]
rk3399_rigol:/ # egrep "RootLogin|KeysFile" /etc/ssh/sshd_config               
PermitRootLogin without-password
AuthorizedKeysFile /data/ssh/authorized_keys

The SSH daemon can only accept the RSA keys, so keep that in mind.

For anyone running Linux (or Mac) do the following:
1. Generate the RSA key:
-snip

... and for the other part of the world that is using Windows ?  :D

You do the same.. Just use win directory syntax..

Nothing prevents to show them as well for the convenience of windows user, I do not see it as a negative OR useless thing, but I get that "pkilar" is a pure Linux user.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #428 on: January 14, 2023, 10:32:59 am »

That would be very surprising...
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: skander36

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2023, 11:25:14 am »

You're getting a high bandwidth, touch screen, 12-bit, super low noise 'scope with all options for a little over $1000 ...

... and you're complaining there's no release notes?

People wake up! This is not a scope only for us EEVblog readers. Imagine that there are much more people that use it. Now they feel the need for a better Fw. On the other hand Rigol has already realased a new fw. from October as I remember, and a second one in January. But they put that fw. only into HDO4K download section, and they omit to put crucial instructions Without this,  the fw does not install. (explaining that you need to put both fw in a succesive manner or that you need to rename the file  from DHO to HDO). And that it is also for HDO1K. It's not a caprice, it's a need. This is unprofessional by any definition. You simply can't do that ...

Skander, no one is saying to you that you are not right in principle, but this is not the point.

If you want an instrument with a mature software inside, ready to use without any glitch out of the box, you simply do NOT buy the last that has been put on the catalog, this rule applies to many electronic devices.

I'm a pragmatic man, I was aware of the risk and considered the premium price for 12bits / 2Gs/s 100Mpts I purchased my HDO1074 for less than 1100 euros VAT included and now, with FW upgrade applied, I'm proficiently using and I do not see any vantage to join the Rigol bashers Armada that is operating here for economic interests.

It's enough to stay tuned to see what happens next and share any discovery in the meantime.

Again you are loosing my point.
I am a Rigol fan. This is my fourth Rigol scope.
I consider that the Fw. scope is enough mature and I recomend everyone that want to buy it,  to aquire it now if they carefully evaluate that it meet their needs.
Every scope has it's quirks, no one is perfect. It's enough to read this forum. I also have other 4 scopes with their little problems.
My objection was about an undeniable fact that affect level of profesionalism of the support. Firmware put without instructions, without whom the fw. cannot be installed. This was their rule.
Just that! What so big deal for you people?
I am very pleased by the scope itself. More that you. I was not try to change the way it's cooling, noise or any other something inside.
Just about the method they throw the firmare. Even it was for HDO4K only or for both.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 11:29:57 am by skander36 »

Online markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2023, 12:26:43 pm »
-snip
I am very pleased by the scope itself. More that you. I was not try to change the way it's cooling, noise or any other something inside.

It's the loudest DSO that I got in my hand and I would say I saw many of them, you are the first one here to say that this scope is not noisy, many other appreciate my research and the cure to slow down FANs from unjustified MAX speed.

Anyway, if you find any advantage to repeat endlessly that Rigol FW handling it is an unforgivable shame you are of course free to do that, but be aware that it does brings no benefit to the community.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #431 on: January 14, 2023, 12:34:39 pm »

Maybe there's 1000-series hardware variants out there that you don't know about. There's already two variants with different FPGAs that we know about and there might be more out there.  :-//

There's also some issues with file naming schemes ("HDO" vs. "DHO") that might complicate things.

If Rigol hasn't officially released it for the 1000-series then "It works for me!" doesn't seem good enough. I'm sure you'd be among the first to condemn all the "instructables" circuits that seem to work but are really using components way outside their ratings and will die in a few weeks.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #432 on: January 14, 2023, 12:56:19 pm »
-snip

It's the loudest DSO that I got in my hand and I would say I saw many of them, you are the first one here to say that this scope is not noisy, many other appreciate my research and the cure to slow down FANs from unjustified MAX speed.

Anyway, if you find any advantage to repeat endlessly that Rigol FW handling it is an unforgivable shame you are of course free to do that, but be aware that it does brings no benefit to the community.

You misinterpret what I am saying. I did not say that the scope is not noisy. I said that "I am pleased by the scope itself".
For the moment I don't feel the need to change it.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #433 on: January 14, 2023, 01:02:49 pm »

Maybe there's 1000-series hardware variants out there that you don't know about. There's already two variants with different FPGAs that we know about and there might be more out there.  :-//

There's also some issues with file naming schemes ("HDO" vs. "DHO") that might complicate things.

If Rigol hasn't officially released it for the 1000-series then "It works for me!" doesn't seem good enough. I'm sure you'd be among the first to condemn all the "instructables" circuits that seem to work but are really using components way outside their ratings and will die in a few weeks.

I already say what was my point.
LE. I agree with you that this fw it is possible to be only for HDO4K but this change the fact that it is unprofessional to put the Fw without instructions and  fw. release?
I think not.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 02:37:03 pm by skander36 »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: January 14, 2023, 02:59:12 pm »
Gentlemen, let's assume that the leaked version was for tests only and not for public release. When so, the release doesn't need to be so "by the book".

I understand that when we have nothing to talk about, any matter will do. If Rigol doesn't release updates, it doesn't release. If they release with no Rel. Notes, they release with no Rel. Notes... arghhh

Give them some time to see what happens. The scope has just been released. The videos are starting to come out. It seems the software is being polished. Let's hope  the trend continues, for the best for everyone.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Martin72

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #435 on: January 14, 2023, 03:24:33 pm »
Yeah ...
I don't realy understand why so many reactions from Rigol defenders because I have dared to express my humble opinion about service quality ...

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #436 on: January 14, 2023, 05:55:58 pm »
Gentlemen, let's assume that the leaked version was for tests only and not for public release. When so, the release doesn't need to be so "by the book".

I understand that when we have nothing to talk about, any matter will do. If Rigol doesn't release updates, it doesn't release. If they release with no Rel. Notes, they release with no Rel. Notes... arghhh

Give them some time to see what happens. The scope has just been released. The videos are starting to come out. It seems the software is being polished. Let's hope  the trend continues, for the best for everyone.

Think it's funny when just the mention of a DSO/MSO conjurers up all the bashers and fanboys/girls, arguing about all sorts of things.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #437 on: January 14, 2023, 07:02:37 pm »
Yeah ...
I don't realy understand why so many reactions from Rigol defenders because I have dared to express my humble opinion about service quality ...

You will understand with time..

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #438 on: January 14, 2023, 07:04:33 pm »

Think it's funny when just the mention of a DSO/MSO conjurers up all the bashers and fanboys/girls, arguing about all sorts of things.

Best,

People would start thinking that this was intentionally prepared by Rigol marketing department to gain exposure on EEVBlog forum  :-DD
Martin did you order your scope?
Fungus is ready to pull the trigger ... :)

Offline Shanto

« Reply #439 on: January 14, 2023, 09:37:48 pm »
hi to all electronic new friends :)

i am new to hier as a registerd user and this is my first post. i always read the forms on eevblog.
i am considering to buy a new Osciloscope big screen 10" for a buget of +- 1500 euro.
one of the option was the Siglent SDS2104X Plus. but now i see Rigol introduced an interesting one HDO1074. I tried to read this topic but got some confusion (cus of my bad English).

I please you if someone can clear/ correct my understandings of the following points:

1- the HDO1074 is simply hackable to the HDO4000 with firmeware update from Rigol website (just dowload and flash it to the HDO1074), right? or need some more hardware/software tunnings?
2- I just see that HDO1074 is again available at rigol official website sipping in 2-3 days. do you thing thier could be some hardware changes from the previous release (processor, more difficult to hack)?
3- which one will be better choice between Siglent SDS2104X Plus and HDO1074 (even if its locked release) ignoring the MSO by Siglent?

sorry for my poor english again ;)

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #440 on: January 14, 2023, 09:55:57 pm »
hi to all electronic new friends :)

i am new to hier as a registerd user and this is my first post. i always read the forms on eevblog.
i am considering to buy a new Osciloscope big screen 10" for a buget of +- 1500 euro.
one of the option was the Siglent SDS2104X Plus. but now i see Rigol introduced an interesting one HDO1074. I tried to read this topic but got some confusion (cus of my bad English).

I please you if someone can clear/ correct my understandings of the following points:

1- the HDO1074 is simply hackable to the HDO4000 with firmeware update from Rigol website (just dowload and flash it to the HDO1074), right? or need some more hardware/software tunnings?
2- I just see that HDO1074 is again available at rigol official website sipping in 2-3 days. do you thing thier could be some hardware changes from the previous release (processor, more difficult to hack)?
3- which one will be better choice between Siglent SDS2104X Plus and HDO1074 (even if its locked release) ignoring the MSO by Siglent?

sorry for my poor english again ;)

1- The answer is NO. HDO 4000 is different in that it has 4 Gs  with 2 ADC's. HDO1K has only one. Look here :
    Hacking HDO1K means that you have options for free (BW and Memory)
2. Same HW.
3. Maybe a SDS2K owner could help you. HDO1K is a 12 bit native while SDS2K can 10 Bit but with some limits. Siglent has some features that Rigol HDO1K dont have. You should compare both and decide depending on your needs.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Shanto

Offline richmit

• Contributor
    • https://www.mitchr.me/
« Reply #441 on: February 13, 2023, 09:48:46 pm »
I confirm that flashing the HDO4K Firmware on the HDO1K works perfectly.

Also, you don't need to install version 00.02.00 first. You can install version 00.02.04 directly.
The only issue is that the initial firmware installed on the HDO1K does not recognize upgrade files named DHO4000Update.GEL so you need to rename the file to HDO4000Update.GEL for it to be accepted.

Starting from version 00.02.00, the scope accept both file names for the upgrade, so that's why the 2 stage upgrade worked for you (version 00.02.00 firmware file is named HDO4000Update.GEL and version 00.02.04 firmware file is named DHO4000Update.GEL).

I also confirm that version 00.02.04 still has the adb port open (on port 55555), so we still have a adb shell available and still no root password (so just `su` to get root).
The fan speed setting still works writing to /sys/devices/platform/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon5/pwm1

When you run the 4K firmware on the 1K, do you get the 50 Ohm inputs?

Offline KlausKragelund

• Contributor
« Reply #442 on: February 17, 2023, 12:28:48 am »
I just bought a HDO1074, of course because I wanted to hack it.

When I copy the HDO4000Update.GEL to the flash drive and boot the scope, it won't update. States: "no firmware available"

Before trying to upgrade, I connected and downloaded the Key.data file, and also generated the SCPI command and send them to the scope.

But I guess that does not matter, since it needs to be "think" it's a HDO4000 scope.
The firmware that came with the scope is 01.01.26, HW is "2"

Any hints on how to proceed?

Just noticed, that after the scope was booted, a couple of directories (empty), was created on the flash drive (attached listing)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 12:49:15 am by KlausKragelund »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #443 on: February 17, 2023, 12:46:02 am »

When I copy the HDO4000Update.GEL to the flash drive and boot the scope, it won't update. States: "no firmware available"

Before trying to upgrade, I connected and downloaded the Key.data file, and also generated the SCPI command and send them to the scope.

But I guess that does not matter, since it needs to be "think" it's a HDO4000 scope.

Does the scope recognize the USB key? Can you save a screenshot to it for example.
Did you try both file names just in case?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline KlausKragelund

• Contributor
« Reply #444 on: February 17, 2023, 12:58:07 am »

Does the scope recognize the USB key? Can you save a screenshot to it for example.
Did you try both file names just in case?

I can save a scope picture to the drive. (I also tried with a different drive).

I download the latest HDO4000 firmware:

HDO4000Update.GEL

Also tried to rename it to:
HDO1000Update.GEL
DHO4000Update.GEL

Is it possible to force it to an old firmware revision?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #445 on: February 17, 2023, 01:26:34 am »

scander36 was able to downgrade a bit in this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-hdo1000-and-hdo4000-12bit-oscilloscopes-launched-in-china/?action=printpage

Maybe try pressing "Single" or "Help" during boot, see if that does anything. The older scopes had a secret menu, but I don't see anyone here has mentioned finding one yet.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline KlausKragelund

• Contributor
« Reply #446 on: February 17, 2023, 01:45:57 am »

scander36 was able to downgrade a bit in this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-hdo1000-and-hdo4000-12bit-oscilloscopes-launched-in-china/?action=printpage

Maybe try pressing "Single" or "Help" during boot, see if that does anything. The older scopes had a secret menu, but I don't see anyone here has mentioned finding one yet.

I tried that, and a number of other keys, no luck. Interestingly, pressing "Run/Stop" during boot provides blank screen and never returns to showing anything. Maybe that is a function to reduce wear on the screen.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #447 on: February 17, 2023, 10:29:02 am »
Upgrade from removable disk should be done from Storage section. Then choose upgrade, touch or click the file path, choose removable USB disk ant then choose the fw. file. See pics attached.
For downgrade I just follow the same procedure.
Upgrade button from general menu is for online upgrade.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 10:50:35 am by skander36 »

The following users thanked this post: EL_ID_ioT

Offline KlausKragelund

• Contributor
« Reply #448 on: February 17, 2023, 11:27:00 am »
Upgrade from removable disk should be done from Storage section. Then choose upgrade, touch or click the file path, choose removable USB disk ant then choose the fw. file. See pics attached.
For downgrade I just follow the same procedure.
Upgrade button from general menu is for online upgrade.

Thanks, I tried that. Got it to work. First I tried HDO4000 02.04, that did not work. So did HDO4000 02.00 renamed to HDO1000, that worked. Then I did HDO4000 02.04, and it worked too.

So now the scope is version 02.04, but still reports the scope as being a HDO1074. I guess that is ok, since an earlier post in the thread also showed 02.04 and still as HDO1074.
I tested the bandwidth, and it's only 70MHz, the options does not seem to be altered.

I did the generation of the options and send via SCPI, but seems that does not work.

This is the SCPI command for 800MHz I am using, copied directly from the generated codes:

:SYST:OPT:INST HDO4000-BW2T8@0a0c97d2e2a49992c832ff257bbcc2d50fe3ef31c26e842621a3e27304c9533e060abe6e7477b32c9e5944e51fdca548

After this, I changed the Device ID in the rgtool.go file to:

flag.StringVar(&deviceId, "id", "HDO1074", "device Id")

It of course generated different SCPI:

:SYST:OPT:INST HDO4000-BW2T8@dba4fe0deacbf783ed93ea04b1e6a8445ded3d1ad63e053645134ad874a7d9fd060abe6e7477b32c9e5944e51fdca548

Also tried to change the SCPI line to this:

:SYST:OPT:INST HDO1074-BW2T8@dba4fe0deacbf783ed93ea04b1e6a8445ded3d1ad63e053645134ad874a7d9fd060abe6e7477b32c9e5944e51fdca548

But, no dice.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 12:24:28 pm by KlausKragelund »

Offline bigfede

• Contributor
  • Electronic Automotive Engineer @ Bitron
« Reply #449 on: February 22, 2023, 09:49:35 am »
Hello,
I've just bought mine and is on the way. I have tried to read all posts but currently I still have no clear picture of what is the status, what have been done and what is still in progress. I'm also trying to hack DP932U (currently without success) so If someone can make a brief summary I can try to help you guys.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf