Author Topic: Hacking the HDO1k/HDO4k Rigol 12 bit scope  (Read 181743 times)

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hacking the HDO1k/HDO4k Rigol 12 bit scope
« Reply #350 on: January 05, 2023, 08:49:21 am »
also check if there's any "automatic" filename
Code: [Select]
# Set fan to manual mode
$ echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/pwm-fan/hwmon/hwmon0/automatic

# Set speed to 100%
$ echo 255 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/pwm-fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

From here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/application_note/manually_control_the_fan#fully_manual_way_to_control_the_fan_speed

Sudo command is not present and i do not know su password, do you know how to solve this ?

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #351 on: January 05, 2023, 08:53:41 am »
You can try without sudo, but there is no such file, unfortunatelly.
About Flex Knob, button 1 is working only for push action, but not for increase/decrease value, while button 2 work well (both operations). It is the same on you?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 01:19:46 pm by skander36 »

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #352 on: January 05, 2023, 09:35:40 am »
About Felx Knob, button 1 is working only for push action, but not for increase/decrease value, while button 2 work well (both operations). It is the same on you?

Flex knobs functionality depends on UI context, anyway in my case flex 1 works good i.e. with trace brightness control.

Offline oliv3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #353 on: January 05, 2023, 09:48:13 am »
I agree with what you said but there could be another reason behind the Rockchip move : they probably are shifting toward a full China made HW architecture, after the ASIC for ADC and frontend sections the SOC was the most likely to be changed.

Using rockchip/Allwinner isn't a huge deal, but focus on 'platform development' The QT vs Android thing, that's years of development. Using zynq was 'cute' and I can understand why this is an attractive choice. They are FPGA-bros if you will. They have been doing a lot of FPGA work over the years, all their devices use them. So if you are 'less experienced' and have to pick a SoC, zynq is very attractive. Linux + FPGA. And to be fair, it does offer some opportunities. You can offload some specific features to the FPGA, and offer it 'in hardware'. But I think most of the gates went into the display stuff. I think they are also re-routing one of the serial ports via the FPGA logic to pins that are only available there. Don't think there's a lot of 'hardware features' on those zynq fpga fabrics, but there was potential. The Zynq's however are outrageously expensive. So migrating away from that makes a lot of sense. Could have better not picked a zynq though :p

Anyway, the sourcing of the parts, I get; them not grokking how to do proper long term software development, is the part that frustrates me. I'd happily go work for them if they'd be able to pay though :D

not trying to read too much into this but...

from a kernel support / hardware support and drivers perspective. The manufacturers of all these chinese ARM socs they all always only bother to write and release drivers for android operating system.
Yes and no. The allwinner/rockchip SDK's are indeed often based on some ancient kernel, but those chips also tend to be very well supported mainline.

More importantly, if you strip out the userspace bit, the kernel is just that, the kernel. It doesn't matter or care if you run GNU, QT-specific, or Android stuff. Lack of knowledge and expierence of course. But there's nothing 'Androidy' about drivers etc. Just that the kernel offers extra android needed features (wake-locks etc) but most of that is in mainline nowadays as well. You don't need many android patches anymore ...

That is to say: for all those dedicated IP blocks within the soc itself, including for the GPU hardware acceleration etc.
If they use OpenGL (they have no need, though it looks sexy of course) then there's a chance you get stuck with propriatery 'bionic' linked GPU drivers of course.

Maybe some vendors will "pretend" to care about porting over to linux kernel. However by the time that is done might be well after the SOC is anymore relevant in current production, that soc is usually discontinued from curent manufacture (by then) and replaced with a shiny newer soc for the next wave of products.
I just hold it up to lack of knowledge/experience. Vendor gives me this SDK, so I have to use it.

[quote author=dreamcat4 link=topic=346222.msg4617653#msg4617653 date=1672822439
So if i had to guess, this was the reason why Rigol felt going for android here. And I don't actually have any clear or satisfying answer what other good options they had. Once you realize that they aren't going to have much sway with rockchip, or money to pay rockchip for developing linux drivers (for said soc), or much money for soc, (or to change for other soc which isn't dirt cheap).
[/quote]
As I said, the drivers are just kernel drivers, nothing special android here. As a manager, you then have to think 're-write all of our user facing software, which is where most of their IP/special sauce is' or 'make the kernel work'. I'm sure the later is far less work :) BUT, if you have no idea, and just 'SDK is android, so we now must use android' sure, there you go.

Maybe it's necessary to do some sort of a numbers calculation / estimations to determine which cost is greater. Paying for more expensive soc versus paying more money for software developers to redevelop on android platform. And be switching platforms. Which may also depends how they structured their software stack etc.
Sure, this is the hard part, but doing some basic napkin math will tell you, they went for the expensive choice, because they likely have no idea they could have just kept their QT UI, running ontop of the 'SDK android kernel'. Heck, you can even run QT on android :p (maybe they did that though ...)
But the other thing would be the relative SoC availability in china. If they cannot get any other decent socs due to supply chain shortages. Or guarantee supply. Then that would not work, you complete a product to ship a product without any cpu in it.
No argument there though :)

I do agree about their software being really bad however. It's just not good enough in its current state. And they have this long history of just moving on to next shiny new thing. And then just never fixing what was un-shippable to begin with on their previous product. Just not on.

Maybe other people here have better knowledge than me about the situation with those rockchip socs. And the hardware / drivers support for linux. I was just stating how it's always been with so many chinese arm socs (made primarily for android platform). Yes they might ship linux distro images for them. And then you fire it up, there's no GPU acceleration (that is the main thing).

Perhaps it's because the GPU hardware block is under seperate proprietary IP? Then rockchip would not be responsible for a linux driver for that part. (unlike some of other smaller fixed hardware ip blocks).
AFAIK the Rockchip use MALI, which is also decently supported nowadays, but they'd still ship the mali drivers from ARM for sure.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:56:18 am by oliv3r »

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #354 on: January 05, 2023, 10:01:15 am »
I agree with what you said but there could be another reason behind the Rockchip move : they probably are shifting toward a full China made HW architecture, after the ASIC for ADC and frontend sections the SOC was the most likely to be changed.

Using rockchip/Allwinner isn't a huge deal, but focus on 'platform development' The QT vs Android thing, that's years of development. Using zynq was 'cute' and I can understand why this is an attractive choice. They are FPGA-bros if you will. They have been doing a lot of FPGA work over the years, all their devices use them. So if you are 'less experienced' and have to pick a SoC, zynq is very attractive. Linux + FPGA. And to be fair, it does offer some opportunities. You can offload some specific features to the FPGA, and offer it 'in hardware'. But I think most of the gates went into the display stuff. I think they are also re-routing one of the serial ports via the FPGA logic to pins that are only available there. Don't think there's a lot of 'hardware features' on those zynq fpga fabrics, but there was potential. The Zynq's however are outrageously expensive. So migrating away from that makes a lot of sense. Could have better not picked a zynq though :p

Anyway, the sourcing of the parts, I get; them not grokking how to do proper long term software development, is the part that frustrates me. I'd happily go work for them if they'd be able to pay though :D

Zynq devices line was expensive even before the chip shortage and the war but apart that Rigol developed ASICs for many reasons and one is for sure to cut out from the BOM foreign and expensive items and the need to develop custom code in FPGA to manage a graphics display.

Problem is that FAN management does not work as expected if you look to thermal trip points values, DSO push FANs to max speed short after the boot phase, dunno if they are aware of that ...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #355 on: January 05, 2023, 10:16:10 am »

Zynq devices line was expensive even before the chip shortage and the war but apart that Rigol developed ASICs for many reasons and one is for sure to cut out from the BOM foreign and expensive items and the need to develop custom code in FPGA to manage a graphics display.

Problem is that FAN management does not work as expected if you look to thermal trip points values, DSO push FANs to max speed short after the boot phase, dunno if they are aware of that ...

Whole scope logic aspect in regards to triggering, data pumps and persistence/display is still living in FPGA. Their ASICS are AFE and ADC...

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #356 on: January 05, 2023, 10:30:17 am »
Whole scope logic aspect in regards to triggering, data pumps and persistence/display is still living in FPGA. Their ASICS are AFE and ADC...
Yup, they basically moved whatever they had in the Zynq (that wasn't the video input part) to the pre-existing Vertex7. Makes a lot of sense from a cost pov anyhow.

did you check the sys services? if it has systemd then maybe also look in /usr/lib/systemd/
Well it runs android, so I doubt that :)

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01/google-announces-official-android-support-for-risc-v/ 
Moving to Android might not be a bad idea.
I think it's a very bad idea. You want a high-performing, very responsive DEDICATED application. You do not need, multitasking, 'app' support et. This is a measuring device. Having apps is cool and all, but having 3rd party apps on your device is asking for trouble. What happens if your 3rd party app is consuming all CPU and RAM resources? Your scope starts to behave badly. Etc etc.

The _only_ real argument that _could_ be made, is that 'android java/kotlin' developers are abundant. Which is true, but letting your hard/software architecture suffer because of that, begs the question. (Also a _lot_ of those developers are of poor skills and lack the 'know-how/expertise' of building a decent measuring device. 'What do you mean, i can't pull in 2G worth of dependencies, flash is cheap! :)

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #357 on: January 05, 2023, 10:32:08 am »

Yep, you mean tha Artix 7 connected to ADC Asic chip, i was referring to display management previously tasked to FPGA portion of Zynq.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #358 on: January 05, 2023, 10:34:33 am »
To get a bit more on topic, I suppose:
Sudo command is not present and i do not know su password, do you know how to solve this ?

Means we don't have the root password yet?

Can we access `/etc/shadow` at all? Dump the firmware partitions? Do we have u-boot access? If we have u-boot access, we can dump the firmware partition, extract /etc/shadow and run hashcat on it :)

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #359 on: January 05, 2023, 10:39:01 am »

Yep, you mean tha Artix 7 connected to ADC Asic chip, i was referring to display management previously tasked to FPGA portion of Zynq.
So th Artix/kintex? 7 was doing all those things mentioned above. The Zynq was doing some things, like doing the various display 'layers'/overlays. I would expect that we get from the artix either just processed plot data (of the lines) and the zynq was turning those to pixels, or the artix was even producing the lines already, though less-likely, as then the artix needs to know about in what area to render stuff, how big etc, better keep that more locally.

Since we have the blob of both FPGA's, I always wanted to see if we can reverse engineer them. The opensource FPGA toolchains have since quite evolved so should be useable for a lot of things to decipher things already. If ... time ... :)

BTW, there was also a spartan6 on the old board, which I never understood why. It was doing the PWM to the buzzer and some other 'control' like stuf, that they just copy/pasted from the older scopes. Basically the Embedded Controller in laptops etc. Luckily they are using more standard interfaces nowadays, but manage to grok that too :)

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #360 on: January 05, 2023, 10:51:00 am »
Just discovered that 'su' command works ... so its enough to type echo X> /sys/devices/platform/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon5/pwm1 , where X is a value from 0 to 255.

I expected this value to be changed by the system periodically but ... it does not seems the case  ???

I'm monitoring temps with PWM = 100, there is a small increase, the monitored ones are still under 50 °C with a room temp of 18 °C. 

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #361 on: January 05, 2023, 10:55:30 am »
About Felx Knob, button 1 is working only for push action, but not for increase/decrease value, while button 2 work well (both operations). It is the same on you?

Flex knobs functionality depends on UI context, anyway in my case flex 1 works good i.e. with trace brightness control.
I know that, but mine is not working in any context. Just push action.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #362 on: January 05, 2023, 11:04:31 am »

Yes that display FPGA code for waveform is still inside FPGA.. CPU/GPU are only inserting it into the screen and render other screen elements..

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #363 on: January 05, 2023, 11:04:42 am »

Damn, I guess you have already tried a factory default setup ...

DSO temps with PWM FAN lowered to 100 (from 255) :

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #364 on: January 05, 2023, 11:28:31 am »

Indeed. Actualy this is another problem because I need to recall Default settings often. Some functions suddenly stop working displaying "Operation Disabled" and after recal "Default" they start wortking again. I know that are conditions for some functons to work but they seem too intricate and not always obvious ... I don't have this problem operating my other scopes (even Rigol 5K).
I will ask for support for Button 1. Maybe is just a software problem.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #365 on: January 05, 2023, 11:33:01 am »

Indeed. Actualy this is another problem because I need to recall Default settings often. Some functions suddenly stop working displaying "Operation Disabled" and after recal "Default" they start wortking again. I know that are conditions for some functons to work but they seem too intricate and not always obvious ... I don't have this problem operating my other scopes (even Rigol 5K).
I will ask for support for Button 1. Maybe is just a software problem.

Mmmh, I do not think so, mine is working good and I assume we have same FW versions.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #366 on: January 05, 2023, 01:15:07 pm »

Yes that display FPGA code for waveform is still inside FPGA.. CPU/GPU are only inserting it into the screen and render other screen elements..

Do you mean analog persistence emulation ?

How do you have this kind of information, do you have access to FW project resources ?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: January 05, 2023, 02:11:49 pm »

Do you mean analog persistence emulation ?

How do you have this kind of information, do you have access to FW project resources ?

It is how it is done, to be real time.. Rigol says it themselves...

Offline aurel

• Contributor
« Reply #368 on: January 05, 2023, 02:33:24 pm »
echo "127" > /sys/devices/platform/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon5/pwm1does it lower the speed?

Nice, this indeed works fine (just need to "su" first).

You force the fan speed at each startup by adding a command at the end of the /rigol/shell/start_rigol_app.sh file.
You can do it this way:

echo 'su -c "sleep 10; echo 63 > /sys/devices/platform/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon5/pwm1" &' >> /rigol/shell/start_rigol_app.sh

Note that the main app starts after this scripts and overwrite the fan speed, hence the "sleep 10" and the "&" so that this commands actually executes after the main app has set the fan speed.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, bob808

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #369 on: January 05, 2023, 05:04:29 pm »
echo "127" > /sys/devices/platform/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon5/pwm1does it lower the speed?

Nice, this indeed works fine (just need to "su" first).

You force the fan speed at each startup by adding a command at the end of the /rigol/shell/start_rigol_app.sh file.
You can do it this way:

echo 'su -c "sleep 10; echo 63 > /sys/devices/platform/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon5/pwm1" &' >> /rigol/shell/start_rigol_app.sh

Note that the main app starts after this scripts and overwrite the fan speed, hence the "sleep 10" and the "&" so that this commands actually executes after the main app has set the fan speed.

I hope some Rigol representative is reading this and start to make pressure to R&D to provide a darn FW update with right FAN thermal management, among other things.

It's already there, it's only matter to do the right thing with the SW module configuration  ::)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #370 on: January 05, 2023, 10:32:44 pm »
I switched from rigol to siglent because I was disappointed with rigol's software/firmware policy regarding MSO5000.
I guess nothing has changed in the last 3 years...
I know it's way too early to judge, but the scenery seems so familiar...
At that time we also thought, the scope is new, it will be fine and then it dragged on, partly until today.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #371 on: January 06, 2023, 01:26:42 am »

Try cursors.  One knob should do horizontal setting and the other vertical

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #372 on: January 06, 2023, 10:43:36 am »

Thank you, but believe me I have checked all contexts as I said. Both knobs have vertical and horizontal functions in different contexts. I have checked all functions many times.Switched from automatic to manual and back, etc.
The best method to check is to use integrated routine from Self Check->Key test. In attached pic you can see that this knob(1) don't take any value, while the others have values each other.
Fun part: Yesterday I have filled a request for assistance at Rigol, but soon after that the knob started to work. I didn't received yet an answer from Rigol.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #373 on: January 06, 2023, 11:01:08 am »
I switched from rigol to siglent because I was disappointed with rigol's software/firmware policy regarding MSO5000.
I guess nothing has changed in the last 3 years...
I know it's way too early to judge, but the scenery seems so familiar...
At that time we also thought, the scope is new, it will be fine and then it dragged on, partly until today.

For sure it's not a model to follow for what concern long support of old models and with this new DSO line they probably established a negative record about FW quality at first issue, but hardware wise some Rigol devices are hard to beat for the price and for sure we cannot say that competitors are always perfect FW wise.

I own instruments from both brands, for what concern DSOs Siglent simply does not fit my need due to "always auto" memory management, the fact that they started to mock Rigol "style" in higher models (as for your HD  :)  ) confirms that this is a lack and not a feature, but i know that Siglent and Siglent supporters are not able to admit it.

Personally i do not see an absolute winner but the fact that Rigol develops and does make use of Asic chips put them ahead HW wise, i.e. with HDO1000 line Rigol brought 12bit to the masses,  HD resolution / low noise are there at 8bit price but FW is alpha stage, time will tell if they are up to the task to bring it at decent level.

IMHO MSO5000 is more than usable with current firmware, if you need high sample rate and deep memory a 5074 "expanded for free" to 350Mhz -200Mpts - 8Gs/s is simply unbeatable and this is possible, again, thanks to Asic adoption.

I would like to see Siglent to start Asic development too and change their mind about memory management in lower models, after that I would have no problem buying their budget scopes  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 11:08:27 am by markone »

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #374 on: January 06, 2023, 11:07:06 am »

Thank you, but believe me I have checked all contexts as I said. Both knobs have vertical and horizontal functions in different contexts. I have checked all functions many times.Switched from automatic to manual and back, etc.
The best method to check is to use integrated routine from Self Check->Key test. In attached pic you can see that this knob(1) don't take any value, while the others have values each other.
Fun part: Yesterday I have filled a request for assistance at Rigol, but soon after that the knob started to work. I didn't received yet an answer from Rigol.

Could you post the screen with HW/FW versions ?

My scope works like a charm encoders wise, they do no skip a bit even if i rotate them very fast, so in your case it could be a bad soldering or damaged device.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 12:09:01 pm by markone »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf