Author Topic: GW Instek GDM-9060/GDM-9061 6 1/2 digit multimeters experience/reviews?  (Read 5344 times)

Offline sequoiaTopic starter

• Supporter
I've been looking for a "modern" 6 1/2 digit multimeter for a while. Basically something with
features/specs that are roughly in line with Keysight 34461A... But under $1000 (USD) price range.

Recently I noticed these these GDM-906X (https://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/detail/GDM-906x)
models from GW Instek that appear to be relatively recent (from 2018 or so),
These appear to have at least one advantage; two simultaneous measurements.
Otherwise GW Instek (and pretty much any other manufacturer) seems to have "copied"  34461A specs/features...

Hardly any information about these meters on the net (couldn't fine any real reviews, etc.)
Does anyone have "hands-on" experience on GDM-9061 (or GDM-9060)? Do they perform as expected?
And is there notable issues/problems?

These seem to have a rear exhaust fan, so it would be potential concern if the fan runs non-stop and is loud....
(after using fanless bench meters for years, having one with loud fan might be a show stopper...)

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: GW Instek GDM-9060/GDM-9061 6 1/2 digit multimeters experience/reviews?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:47:33 am »
Not so sure they copied the Agilent interface  - they could have looked at the Sigilent SDM3065 as well. It does not look that much of a copy.

Some of the specs are natural from the choice of reference, RMS chip and the design with few shunts (for low costs). This is kind of the low end benchmark for a 6.5 digit meter, like the SDM3065, Rigol 3068, Keithley 2100 +DMM6500, Keysight 34461.

I would expect the meter to use an ADC chip, like the Rigol  / Sigilent.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:35:03 am »
These appear to have at least one advantage; two simultaneous measurements.

Like most other bench meters they show two measurements on the display and switches the input and adc between measuring the two values.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 02:27:55 pm »
The only true  dual isolated input meter is   ADCMT DMM 7352E

Offline djidji

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 03:42:02 am »
I have similar "problem".....  :) :)
I can't decide between Hantek HDM3065, GW Instek GDM-9061 and Keysight 34465A. money is not the problem but I'm not sure that Keysight is worth that $1500

The following users thanked this post: hatte

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 04:52:55 am »
Lots of meters have dual measurements.  If you are looking at sub-$1000 meters only, don't overlook the Siglent.  It isn't any more accurate, but it does have a 2 million counts vs 1.2 million for the GWInstek, and the high-impedance input extends to 20 volts instead of 12.  I don't have either one, so not much more to specific to offer. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline sequoiaTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 04:44:51 am »
Lots of meters have dual measurements.  If you are looking at sub-$1000 meters only, don't overlook the Siglent.  It isn't any more accurate, but it does have a 2 million counts vs 1.2 million for the GWInstek, and the high-impedance input extends to 20 volts instead of 12.  I don't have either one, so not much more to specific to offer.

Siglent seems to be current price "leader", but haven't had good experiences with Siglent in the past, so hesitant to go with it.  Especially in light of
reports it corrupting its firmware for no apparent reason... Don't really want meter that cant trust to always to "just work"...

I have a GDM-8251A currently, and like it a lot, just find myself needing higher resolution than that 5 1/2 digit meters can do...

If Instek was about Siglent price, choice would be easy :) But it costing about $150 more, brings up question whether to risk going with Siglent,
or go up another couple hundred and just get a Keysight/Keithley meter...

It would be nice if someone like Dave, would do 6 1/2 digit multimeter shootout :) But not sure if the amount of work it takes to do good review/comparsion is worth it with presumably small audience truly interested in results....  but never know with right thumbnail any video can go viral and get insane number of views :)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 04:47:10 am by sequoia »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 05:50:13 am »
Siglent seems to be current price "leader", but haven't had good experiences with Siglent in the past, so hesitant to go with it.  Especially in light of
reports it corrupting its firmware for no apparent reason... Don't really want meter that cant trust to always to "just work"...
Yes their older firmware was stink but recent versions seem rock solid.
Most of what you have seen here has resulted from owners not keeping up to date with firmware however the recovery tools are very easy to use and most importantly factory new units don't have those old versions installed no more.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 04:54:12 pm »
Don't really want meter that cant trust to always to "just work"...

I have a GDM-8251A currently, and like it a lot, just find myself needing higher resolution than that 5 1/2 digit meters can do...

go up another couple hundred and just get a Keysight/Keithley meter...

OK, there's a couple of issues.  First is whether you would like all the extra on-board on-screen features that meters like the Siglent SDM3065X (or-SC) or the Keithley DMM6500 offer.  Both those have multi-channel scanning (if you buy the -SC in the Siglent or the add-on card for the Keithley) and all manners of logging and graphing software--really cool stuff.  Or do you want super-reliable no fuss operation with the scanning and logging features mostly done by PC interface, if at all.  I prefer the second just because of how I use the meter.  On my main bench meter, I can push the front power button (and one additional button for anything other than DCV) and literally take a reading in one second.  Dual display is one additional button and it usually chooses the function I want automatically, if not, it takes two additional seconds.  I've never, ever had a 'crash'.  So, those features come with the cost of complexity and the occasional glitch.

Second, if you have a GDM-8251A now and like it, what are you looking for as far as resolution and accuracy?  The 8251A is perfectly adequate as a bench service meter, etc, but is really not worthy of even being in the 5.5 digit class--it has no high impedance input, very poor accuracy specs relative to other 5.5 digit meters (and in my experience owning one, it barely meets even those specs and has terrible tempco) and is 120,000 count.  Not trying to disparage your gear, just pointing out that anything you are considering will be a huge step up, not incremental.

And for 'going pro' and getting a name-brand meter, that might be a good idea.  The Siglent gear I do have is pretty good--I'd call it prosumer quality--but it was also at a huge discount to what an equivalent Keysight or Tek instrument would have cost.  The DMMs, not so much.  If you want to stay near the $700 price point, the Siglent looks good.  If you really aren't price sensitive and are willing to stretch, the Keithley DMM6500 and Keysight 34461A look good and have the fancy features, the Fluke 8845A is old but reliable and simple to use.  Any of them are available in the just-over-$1K range--and I don't think that is a very large price premium for reputable brands with a long history of quality.

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online Mickle T.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 05:41:08 pm »
Results of beta-test, revers-engineering and modding of GDM-9061 (OEM version): https://radiokot.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168152 (use Google Translate).

The following users thanked this post: Andreas, tv84, coromonadalix, Kleinstein, 2N3055, serg_77

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 01:35:29 am »
I must say Google translate is getting better.   Even so I had to skip to the end and see some of the conclusions.    In the end I'm left with the impression you don't believe the meter is worth the asking price considering competitive meters?

Results of beta-test, revers-engineering and modding of GDM-9061 (OEM version): https://radiokot.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168152 (use Google Translate).

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 02:11:43 am »
I find this meter somewhat okay, but the display is over crowded  to my taste

And the transformer added noise   give me some chills,  maybe adding some shielding around it ?   or use an toroid transformer would have lowered the noise floor  ???
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 02:13:15 am by coromonadalix »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 08:51:31 pm »
Yes their older firmware was stink

Impossible!

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 12:56:56 am »
For that price I rather buy used agilent 34401a or keithley 2000 from ebay.

Offline Markus2801A

• Regular Contributor
  • Pobody’s Nerfect ;-)
    • KEM InfoPage
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2022, 04:24:03 pm »
Does anyone own the GDM-9060 or the GDM-9061 and can share his experience with it?
Teacher for electrical Engineering @ HTL and Werkmeisterschule :-)

Offline diodak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 11:59:13 am »
One thing that is very interesting about this multimeter is the boot time, 1 to 2 seconds.

Offline diodak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 05:16:22 pm »
One thing that annoyed me from the beginning was the fan. When turned on, it turns on at max PWM. Such a sure start. Then it turns off and waits for the temperature inside the multimeter to rise. Then it increases PWM in 5% increments. The PWM frequency is 400Hz. And it is this low frequency that makes it difficult to replace this fan with a quiet one. That's why I made a circuit that takes PWM and converts it to linearly increasing voltage from PWM. Somehow it works, but at room temperature, it comes to high revs quite quickly.

Originally, the fan is powered from the rectified voltage behind the rectifier bridge. This causes unpleasant/annoying noises when a heavy load in the house is switched on. I have a list of how PWM changes with temperature, but I have to find it (I made the system a year ago and forgot how it was exactly).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf