Author Topic: HP 8560A Spectrum Analyzer... Any "gotchas"?  (Read 3930 times)

Offline igniluxTopic starter

• Supporter
HP 8560A Spectrum Analyzer... Any "gotchas"?
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:42:23 pm »
Title says it all. I'm about to pull the trigger on an 8560A with option 002 (TG). Found for under 1000 USD. From a search on the forum here, it looks like a high-performance machine that should work great for my needs. Does anybody who has experience with them have any tips in terms of what to watch out for? I'd hate to have to pay return shipping on this thing.

Thanks in advance!

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HP 8560A Spectrum Analyzer... Any "gotchas"?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 05:26:42 pm »
In general, I'd have to say the CRT is the big drawback on these. While mine is still reasonably bright, the focus certainly leaves a lot to be desired. There are LCD upgrade displays for these, but none at a reasonable price that I have seen.

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:10:28 pm »
http://www.simmconnlabs.com/  in case you want one.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 07:48:34 pm »
Shahriar's video of an 8562E repair might give you an idea of what you're getting into should you need to repair it. Long story short, I think despite the massive weight of the 8568 and 8566 units, they are a lot easier to work on. They really packed all the components into these "portable" units.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 09:50:11 pm »
Oof, the construction sure makes it look difficult to service. Once it is apart, though, it looks like a lot of large through-hole components, which is a plus over something like the DSA815. I would certainly go for an 8266x, but the price of (8560A + TG + OCXO + Shipping) is only about $100 more than (8266x + Shipping). That, plus the fact that I don't have a ton of room for the larger form factor.

W.r.t. the CRT, I see that there is a BNC video out port on the back of the 8560A. Am I correct in assuming that this is a simple analog video feed of what's on the screen? It sure would be nice to be able to hook it up to a small LCD TV/monitor via a BNC to RCA cable. Plus that would save me the trouble of needing to work on the high voltage section of the power supply should it fail.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 09:55:21 pm »
If you have a need to move the instrument...like any at all...the 8560 SAs have a lot of advantages for you. The fully assembled 8566/8 system weighs about 112 lbs. I don't move my 8568B unless I need to.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 10:17:06 pm »
If you have a need to move the instrument...like any at all...the 8560 SAs have a lot of advantages for you. The fully assembled 8566/8 system weighs about 112 lbs. I don't move my 8568B unless I need to.
Yeah I knew they were heavy but hell that heavy.  :o

10lb 1.5, 2.1 and 3.2 GHz SA's suddenly seem much more attractive.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 10:29:32 pm »
If it works and is a good deal then go for it - the tracking gen is super nice to have. A spectrum analyzer is a wonderful tool to have.

(tautech my 26.5 GHz SA is 6.6 pounds)
VE7FM

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 10:36:38 pm »
Yeah I knew they were heavy but hell that heavy.  :o

10lb 1.5, 2.1 and 3.2 GHz SA's suddenly seem much more attractive.

On the flip side of that, the 8566 and 68 represent some of the finest work HP did in terms of RF equipment. They were designed by the best RF engineers sparing no expense (and when they were new, they had a price tag to match!) They just ooze quality, and are a joy to use every time you switch it on. For narrowband carrier work, you can't really beat them in terms of performance.

But you need space and a strong back...sounds like you've got yourself a nice deal so I'd say go for it. The 8566 and 68 don't have a TG built in, so that's a separate box.

The following users thanked this post: rastro

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 11:03:41 pm »
If it works and is a good deal then go for it - the tracking gen is super nice to have. A spectrum analyzer is a wonderful tool to have.

(tautech my 26.5 GHz SA is 6.6 pounds)
So how does that work ?

These days, the lighter they are, the more expensive they are ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 01:26:52 am »
I have several HP SpecAn with video output.  No matter what I use for monitor and how I set it up, I could never get a stable picture that fills a whole page.  Most of the times, images are shifted and falls off the edge.  Also, it's a composite signal.  If you are old enough to remember what monochrome APPLE II image looked like, that's what you can look forward to seeing. 

You will also not be able to "tap into" internal CRT feed.  It uses Sony module and depending on which one you get, sync speed is different.

If you are not going to do your own repair, you can think of those as throw away. (if you paid $1000 for one)  If input amplifier goes or something serious with signal path, parts cost and labor will well exceed what you paid in the first place.  As to tracking generator, it's quite useful.  Only got-cha is even if you get 26.5GHz SA, tracking generator will only cover band 1, which I think ends 2.x GHz?  In case of 8566 and 8568, it ends at 1.3 or 1.5GHz depending on which version you get. 

I have my 8568 full stack on a heavy duty rolling cart.  It works for me.

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 03:51:26 am »
Killer deal at under $1000, if it works.  I'd jump on it. 

And yes, a SimmConn LCD upgrade is worthwhile even if the CRT is in perfect shape.  They are just that good.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 05:35:26 am »
Killer deal at under $1000, if it works.  I'd jump on it. 

And yes, a SimmConn LCD upgrade is worthwhile even if the CRT is in perfect shape.  They are just that good.

Good to know. I picked up another 85662 display at an auction recently that I'm thinking of doing this mod to.

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 05:57:03 am »

Good to know. I picked up another 85662 display at an auction recently that I'm thinking of doing this mod to.

Unfortunately it's not such a clear-cut call in that case.  The 8560 portables have 601-point displays, so they will look good with VGA LCDs and won't lose any resolution.  The 85662A has a 1001-point trace, though.  While the VGA LCD will still look great, it is no longer a true upgrade from the CRT in terms of resolution and sharpness.  If my 85662A had a perfect CRT, I don't think I'd swap it out for a VGA LCD.

The XGA LCD looks incredible, and is indeed a no-brainer upgrade.  But it's quite a bit pricier, and at one point I believe Xu was considering discontinuing it.  If he is still offering the XGA display, I think it's well worth the extra bucks.  But not everyone may agree.

The following users thanked this post: rastro

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 06:03:14 am »
Thanks! My other 85662 has a perfect CRT so I won't touch that one for sure. However, I'm fairly sure this one I picked up dirt cheap at the auction was dropped so who knows if the CRT is toast or not. Have had to pivot to other things so haven't tried powering it on yet. If it does turn out to be dead, it would breath new life into it to do the LCD, even if it's not perfect.  :-+

...more on topic: OP be sure to post pics when you get it. :)

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 10:26:14 am »
I have several HP SpecAn with video output.  No matter what I use for monitor and how I set it up, I could never get a stable picture that fills a whole page.  Most of the times, images are shifted and falls off the edge.  Also, it's a composite signal.  If you are old enough to remember what monochrome APPLE II image looked like, that's what you can look forward to seeing. 

You will also not be able to "tap into" internal CRT feed.  It uses Sony module and depending on which one you get, sync speed is different.
This is not relevant to HP8560A or HP856X series. They don't have any kind of composite video output.

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 07:37:32 pm »
There is a "Video Out" BNC panel jack on the back of the 8560A. By definition, isn't a single shielded conductor (as is the case with BNC, RCA, etc) for video a "composite video" output? Or are you saying that the signal found on that jack doesn't contain information about what is displayed on the CRT?

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 08:38:27 pm »
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:43:28 pm by SoundTech-LG »

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 09:55:12 pm »
They're using "video" in the sense of "demodulated analog output with a bandwidth higher than, well, audio."  That's why the blanking output is separate. 

It's a stupidly ambiguous term. inherited (AFAIK) from the radar world, that needed to die long before it did.  In this case the bandwidth isn't even higher than the audio range in most situations, much less something you could use to drive an NTSC monitor or other standard display directly.

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 10:33:15 pm »
Or are you saying that the signal found on that jack doesn't contain information about what is displayed on the CRT?
Not in sense of display image. It uses oscilloscope-like vector display, so it doesn't even have raster video memory to produce video scan lines.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf