Author Topic: Budget desoldering station recommendations please  (Read 6732 times)

Offline DeltaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Budget desoldering station recommendations please
« on: November 30, 2016, 08:27:30 pm »
I am thinking of asking Father Christmas for a desoldering station  :)

It will not be ran 24/7, so I can't justify a professional quality big branded one., but don't want something that will give up on me after one use...

Offline Fortran

• Regular Contributor
Re: Budget desoldering station recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:50:00 pm »
I've got an Aoyue 474A+ since 5 years or so.
It is certainly good enough to start with, but after a few years you might want something better.  It clogs up easily and tips wear out in about a year of modest use. Temperature control is bad.
For hobby use on a budget I'd say go for it.  If performance is more important go for a compressed air operated one.
Those are seriously expensive though, so getting a cheap one to start with isn't a bad idea.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:46:56 pm »
Budget?  How much do you think Father Christmas is willing to spend.  Look at a ZD-985.  I have one and it works well but it must be maintained but that can be said for all of the desoldering irons.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:47:33 pm »
Got a zd 915. Ok for the money.

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:53:11 am »
I had a similar requirement something not too expensive and practical for hobby use.  I purchased  a WEP 862D+ from a supplier in the UK.  Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-WEP-2-in-1-SMD-Hot-Air-Gun-Soldering-Iron-Station-Rework-Welder-4-Nozzle-/310770402991?hash=item485b5c06af   

It has proved so far totally reliable with several months regular use and very effective.  I am constructing a 'Scotties Spectrum Analyser' which involves a lot of SMD mounting.  The soldering iron copes with most of my needs but some of the SMD  soldering could do with a finer tip.  The Hot air gun also works OK for installing ICs and usually I run that with quite slow fan speed to avoid blowing the device away!

Best of luck whatever you choose to purchase.

John

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 10:31:41 am »
Hello,
just chanting *puber* here, as I want to watch this thread. SWIMBO and I are looking for something similar, a desoldering sucker machine. Our price pain point would be 400EUR or so...the cheaper the better, but on the other hand, especially SWIMBO hates crap tools and believes in "buy once, use for a lifetime".
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:22:31 am »
Bought one of these with the soldering iron combo years ago. I think it is a ripoff of a Hakko but it works a treat ;)

https://rhinotools.com.au/product/desoldering-station/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 11:44:36 am »
Thanks for the replies, I think I will go for a ZD-985.  I think the other half Santa might be able to stretch to the ~£100 they go for here.  After watching Dave's video review, it seems like pretty good value for money.  :)

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:33:17 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Delta

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 02:51:44 pm »
Got a zd 915. Ok for the money.

I got one of those too. Mine is a clone, named HK-915, but made in China too and looks like any other ZD-915, both internally and externally. It really works ok.

I pair that with a Dremel VersaTip 2000, which is great for SMD components and way cheaper than a SMD reworking station. The VersaTip also doubles as a soldering iron.
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 06:20:22 pm »
I am thinking of asking Father Christmas for a desoldering station  :)

How about asking fahther Christmas for some glasses so you can read what topic belongs in what forum?  (Hint: this one is for Test Instruments)

Really, it's not rocket science...  :palm:

@Mods: please move to 'Other Tools & Products'

I plan to use it for testing the ruggedness of solder joints.  Quality control is of the utmost importance when it comes to amateur rocketry.

Offline jastreb

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 02:27:53 am »
I am in the same situation as OP.

After looking at Dave's review of the ZD-985 and also the teardown in this post, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/zd985-and-zd987-review-and-teardown/, plus looking at other stuff that is available I decided I would go the way of this brand. Doing a bit of research it seems that it is built under different brands by a Chinese company called Zhondi. Here is their page with their latest stationshttp://www.china-zhongdi.com/products.asp?cataid=134

I am based in Australia and this is what I can find:

ZD-917 (based on reviews the later models like 985 and 987 are much improved so skipping this)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120960796135?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ZD-987 (currently one i am leaning towards)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142205066148?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ZD-8917B (judging by Zhondi's web site this is their latest offering but I have not been able to find any reviews of it. )
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272366781546?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ZD-8917 (same model number but looks different. no idea but its one i have found during my research)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361404797225?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So i am now trying to work out if I should just get the ZD-987 or should I be looking into the ZD-8917B. They did improve quality from 917 to 985/987. Did they improve again with ZD-8917B and is it worth the  quite a bit of price increase. And then there is the mystery ZD-8917 from that spanish ebayer which at least from pics looks ok.

If anyone can provide further advice that would be great. Cheers guys.

ps: i am after a decent soldering gun too which is why I am going for the dual setup stations. Currently I just have a non adjustable soldering iron.

ps: OP, what did you choose in the end and are you happy with it?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:55:03 am by jastreb »

Offline dimkasta

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:04:45 am »
+1 for the ZD-917

I got it for 4 months now and, with mild daily use, it has 0 problems. Tips are dirt cheap and still like new (with good cleaning)
I understand it is an older model but you can probably get it for a lower price than the 987.

The only drawback is that the back side of the suction tube is thin (low thermal mass) and it is easy for solder to drip and form a clot there.This is easy to fix though. Just remove the waste chamber, carefully cut the blob with your cutters (careful not to damage the tube), and increase the temperature to max for a few minutes to allow the solder to melt on the entire length of the suction tube.
I do not know if this is fixed on the newer model. It is mildly annoying, but once you learn how to deal with it, it is not a real problem. I usually combine it with a filter and waste chamber cleaning (which has to be done anyway)
Replacement parts are also cheap and available in large quantities on fleabay.

By the way, you will not regret getting a desoldering station. It is one of my best purchases.
It really frees your hands, saves you time and frustration, protects your pcbs and pushes the quality of your work.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:13:58 am by dimkasta »

Offline jastreb

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 12:59:28 am »
+1 for the ZD-917

I got it for 4 months now and, with mild daily use, it has 0 problems. Tips are dirt cheap and still like new (with good cleaning)
I understand it is an older model but you can probably get it for a lower price than the 987.

The only drawback is that the back side of the suction tube is thin (low thermal mass) and it is easy for solder to drip and form a clot there.This is easy to fix though. Just remove the waste chamber, carefully cut the blob with your cutters (careful not to damage the tube), and increase the temperature to max for a few minutes to allow the solder to melt on the entire length of the suction tube.
I do not know if this is fixed on the newer model. It is mildly annoying, but once you learn how to deal with it, it is not a real problem. I usually combine it with a filter and waste chamber cleaning (which has to be done anyway)
Replacement parts are also cheap and available in large quantities on fleabay.

By the way, you will not regret getting a desoldering station. It is one of my best purchases.
It really frees your hands, saves you time and frustration, protects your pcbs and pushes the quality of your work.

The links I provided are only ones I can find here. The 987 is same price as 917 so I may as well get that. And yes looking forward in owning one of these. I needed a soldering station anyway so $50 on top gets me this dual station with the desoldering unit. And thank you for your input.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf