Author Topic: GPSDO and signal quality (of satellites)  (Read 7154 times)

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
Re: GPSDO and signal quality (of satellites)
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 01:30:23 pm »
At 1.5GHz, wood and roofing materials add considerable path loss.  A few db of feed line loss is a good trade off for a clear view of the sky.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 05:45:53 pm »
At 1.5GHz, wood and roofing materials add considerable path loss.  A few db of feed line loss is a good trade off for a clear view of the sky.

Thats the plan, thanks for confirming and also for inspiring me with your installation photo, my planned spot for installation actually similar to yours, but with bigger view of sky.

Offline jhenderson0107

• Regular Contributor
    • Elk Engineering
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 10:30:48 pm »
Below is the signal strength plot aggregated over 24 hrs by Lady Heather of the same PCTel GPS-TMG-HR-26N antenna biased at 5V mounted just above the northwest eave of my home office, driving 7m of cable into a 2017 GB7TBL GPSDO.  Typically, nine satellites report SNR >= 40dB. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:35:11 pm by jhenderson0107 »

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 01:56:20 pm »
It is interesting a lot of the plots shown on this thread where the better reception is all mixed in with less good levels.
The plot for my antenna is as shown and it is good for high angles where it has a good view of the sky and rather worse at lower angles where houses and trees get in the way (it is mounted on a fence about 6ft (~1.8m) off the ground.

It is a Tallysman timing antenna GPS only bought several years ago. I use a 10cm aluminium disk as a ground plane. There is 15m of cable followed by 1m of different cable and several connectors. I did  try using a line amp that I got off ebay but it showed no improvement, if anything it made it worse so I took it out again. The signal goes through an HP splitter (4 way).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:00:18 pm by jpb »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 03:24:49 pm »
I live on the south east end of Vancouver Island which has a temperate rainforest climate with so called Mediterranean summers. So called not because they are warm, but because they precipitation drops right down with August often rain free. November-December has rain every day pretty much. My lab is in an upstairs bedroom and I expected to see significant rain fade between summer and winter but that wasn't the case. With two lea-6t receivers I would consistently have 6 sats or more reading 25+ db on ublox control center.

I wouldn't think significant rain fade should be a problem at the frequencies GPS operates at. Could be wrong though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf