Author Topic: Going to buy First Scope  (Read 14110 times)

Offline uvamoskTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Smoke em if you got em?
Re: Going to buy First Scope
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 01:35:47 pm »
Thanks for the tip, guess I'll put in my order now. Yay. Finally.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 01:46:04 pm »
I have a canbus shield from Seeed for an arduino already  ;D I bought it to try to mess with toyota bean network but couldnt get it to see anything at all.

A DS1054Z might be able to help you with that problem.   ;)

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 04:05:47 pm »
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?Amphenol-RF%2F46650-51RFX%2F&qs=ukCXrI%2FP3JRTsXHF491B7Q%3D%3D

These are the proper terminators correct. I see some for half watt some for 1 watt but i get these cheap from a local person.

I assume like a resistor which they are wattage just for any type of heat dissipation. I just bought 6 tee's of the same brand for 13$ shipped which i think was a good deal.

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 04:10:04 pm »
I have a canbus shield from Seeed for an arduino already  ;D I bought it to try to mess with toyota bean network but couldnt get it to see anything at all.

A DS1054Z might be able to help you with that problem.   ;)

Thats what I hope for, i know its spec range of frequencies and so on but they dont directly parallels that of can so i figure if i can use a scope to see how its communicating frequency number of bits in a packet so on. Then i can use the can shield to decode it since I'll know what to look for with it. Does that sound right.
 Im hoping once i get the scope im going to start a thread on here to post up what i find and for people to give me guidance since it will all be new to me.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 05:13:45 pm »
When dealing with CAN it is nice to also have to have a working adapter and some decent software to show & filter messages. I'm using the Lawicell CANUSB and CAN monitor pro software ( https://www.antratek.com/usb-can-adapter ). It isn't very cheap though.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2016, 05:40:21 pm »
You have experience with can bus decoding i take it?
Im trying to figure out Toyota's Bean system. It was used in the early 2000's on celica, corolla, camry and Mr2.
 Im wanting to understand how to decode and inject code into the network.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »
You have experience with can bus decoding i take it?
Im trying to figure out Toyota's Bean system. It was used in the early 2000's on celica, corolla, camry and Mr2.
 Im wanting to understand how to decode and inject code into the network.
I suggest you start a new post with "Toyota Bean" in the title, and use all the space in the title
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2016, 06:07:39 am »
Yes, alternate triggering is very handy and I'm amazed that the Rigol DS1054z doesn't have it.

The DS1054z also has 1 megohm input impedance only, so I recommend picking up a 50 ohm thru-terminator or two for those times you need or want 50 ohm impedance (like direct connection to a FG for example.)

Rigol also makes a very nice semi-hard bag/case for the DS1000 series. It's a bit more costly than some other generic scope bags but once you see it you can see it's worth it, if your scope ever does travel duty.

So instead of having a dedicated alternate trigger i have to use of the other channels right? Also do terminators need to be of high quality. Can i just pick them up off ebay or should i buy with my scope? Tequipment has a kit that is the ds1054z with 50ohm impedance adapter for 408$ so 9$ for the adapter.

Alternate trigger, as used here, means that the scope alternates the "trigger channel" between all channels in use, so that signals with unrelated frequencies can be displayed stably. The DS1054z does not have this capability. External triggering is different. Most 2 channel scopes have an external trigger input which allows you to trigger the scope from a different signal than the two that are displayed. Many 4-channel scopes don't have an external trigger input so you have to use one of the 4 normal channels for triggering. This effectively makes it a 3 channel scope with external triggering....   ;D

As far as high quality terminators... sure, get the best quality you can afford. The normal cost of the Rigol thru-terminator adapter is 18 dollars IIRC (I have one) so that sounds like a good deal to me. The Ebay end terminators + BNC T is also a working solution, if everything fits right and holds up well. But a through-terminator (aka adapter) takes up less space and may be easier to work with in practice.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2016, 03:42:54 pm »

So instead of having a dedicated alternate trigger i have to use of the other channels right? Also do terminators need to be of high quality. Can i just pick them up off ebay or should i buy with my scope? Tequipment has a kit that is the ds1054z with 50ohm impedance adapter for 408$ so 9$ for the adapter.

Yes, you can trigger on any of the 4 channels.  You don't have to clutter the display with the channel that provides the trigger if you don't want to.  The trigger function works whether the channel is displayed or not.  This is similar to the more normal trigger on dual channel scopes.

Sure, why not just get the adapter at the same time.  You might save a few bucks elsewhere but time is money.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf