Author Topic: Keysight DSOS054A Repair help with Disk image  (Read 1267 times)

Offline RoadRunnerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Keysight DSOS054A Repair help with Disk image
« on: April 05, 2023, 10:08:33 pm »
Hello,

I am writing this message in hope of getting some help from community . Does any one happen to own any Infinium 9000 / S-series oscilloscope ? I have a DSOS054A with pretty corrupted Hard drive. I can access most of the files but scope just won't boot into windows. I have even tried flashing recovered contents to a new drive without luck. If some one have a inifinium scope with windows 7 or 10 on is this possible to a clone image of Hard drive ? or recovery disk of ? course without license and other instrument specific files?
I would love to hear from you , If you have any other suggestion or you know some who can help even for a reasonable fee. I would highly appreciate your time.

Regards

Edit:
It would be really a great help if some one has Keysight recovery image wim file for 9000/ S-series oscilloscope  . This wim file is located in recovery partition can be used to make a basic working system.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 12:26:04 pm by RoadRunner »

Offline ekoloski

• Contributor
Re: Keysight DSOS054A Repair help with Disk image
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 11:42:24 pm »
I'm sorry, I don't have one of these scopes to clone an image for you, but it may be possible to salvage your existing drive.

Before doing anything, make a new image of what you have. I'd pull the drive, put it into an external enclosure, then use a Linux livecd to run ddrescue and copy what's there. It'll try several times to recover any bad blocks, and may get more out of the image than a standard clone. Keep that image as a backup.

Next clone that image to a new drive. You can boot off a windows iso and attempt a repair. There's a built in boot repair, which may or may not help. How far does the boot progress before failing?

Is this windows 7 or 10? You mentioned that either would work. Depending on which version you have, the next steps can vary. I'm posting from a phone at the moment so I apologize I don't have any links to tutorials for ddrescue, but will check back later.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 02:53:24 am »
I don't know anything about the Infinium 9000 / S-series oscilloscopes.

On the 16800 and 16900 series logic analyzers which run Windows Embedded Standard 7 there is no recovery media available. Instead there is a recovery partition on the hard drive, and a choice to boot from the recovery partition is briefly shown during boot. If you boot from the recovery partition, it will wipe the main system partition and reinstall a recovery disk image stored on the recovery partition.

On the 16800 and 16900 series logic analyzers which run Windows Embedded Standard 7, the recovery partition is normally hidden and not visible when running Windows, but can be made visible when running DISKPART.

Does anyone know if the Infinium 9000 / S-series oscilloscopes use a similar recovery mechanism from a recovery partition? If it does, the recovery partition might still be intact, and could be used to recovery the main system partition.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 05:54:20 am »

I'm sorry, I don't have one of these scopes to clone an image for you, but it may be possible to salvage your existing drive.

Before doing anything, make a new image of what you have. I'd pull the drive, put it into an external enclosure, then use a Linux livecd to run ddrescue and copy what's there. It'll try several times to recover any bad blocks, and may get more out of the image than a standard clone. Keep that image as a backup.

Next clone that image to a new drive. You can boot off a windows iso and attempt a repair. There's a built in boot repair, which may or may not help. How far does the boot progress before failing?

Is this windows 7 or 10? You mentioned that either would work. Depending on which version you have, the next steps can vary. I'm posting from a phone at the moment so I apologize I don't have any links to tutorials for ddrescue, but will check back later.

I have pulled drive from scope and connected it to my PC and ran disk recovery program  ddrescue on on it. it took quite a while and i was able to get 99.93% data out of the disk.
But burning this to new disk still won't help. I have tried to repair windows with a normal windows 7 ISO , but repair did not worked either.

I can access all of calc and instrument specific files. So i have installed a generic windows 10 onto instrument and tried to install normal Infinium oscilloscope software which is freely available from keysight.
Installation was successful Inifinum application icon say "Infinium offline" and when i launch this application it does everything what normal scope application should do ( for example front pannel LEDs got initilized) but application says "working offline no license" shows some dummy signals and nothing else works, I can open all menus what a infinium application has but nothing else really work.

Is this even possible to install generic windows on it and get Infinium application working?
How can i get or activate this Infinium application is this even right application?
Driver for PCIe device are still missing how can i get those drivers ?

Does anyone know if the Infinium 9000 / S-series oscilloscopes use a similar recovery mechanism from a recovery partition? If it does, the recovery partition might still be intact, and could be used to recovery the main system partition.

Recovery partition is there on Inifnium as well but i guess this image also got corrected because i can not successfully finish recovery. 

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 05:57:06 am by RoadRunner »

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 10:13:36 pm »

Recovery partition is there on Inifnium as well but i guess this image also got corrected because i can not successfully finish recovery.

When you power on the scope, does a boot menu briefly appear that gives you the option to boot into the system recovery? Are you able to then choose the system recovery option, and it does start that and displays some message warning that it will delete everything on the system partition and ask to confirm before proceeding, and then you confirm that and the recovery process starts? If the recovery process does start, how far does it get before it fails? What sort of failure messages do you get?

I had a 16901A logic analyzer which failed to complete the system recovery process. After looking into it, there was a single corrupt file would could not be extracted from the system recovery image and copied to the system partition. I was able to delete that single corrupt file from the recovery image and then the recovery process was successful after doing that. My guess is that the recovery image corruption occurred when the image was initially created, before it was written to the disk at the factory. Hard to know if something similar could have happened to the system recovery image on your scope, or if the hard drive started failing and that caused some corruption on the recovery partition. If you have image copies of the original hard drive that you can experiment with without worrying about losing the original data, there might be some things you could look at to see what might be wrong with the recovery partition.

Offline ekoloski

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 12:02:15 am »
It's promising that you were able to recover most of the drive with ddrescue. Depending on what is damaged you may be able to replace a damaged file or two, or run one of the automated tools (bootrec /fixboot, sfc /scannow, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, etc). Even if you can get into safemode (which never really fixes anything) you would have a list of what is being loaded when windows starts up which could help to narrow it down. Alternatively you may be able to boot into a PE environment and attach to the damaged windows installation.

It sounds like you were able to get into the 'startup repair' and it failed, is this correct? Were there additional options such as 'command prompt'? If so, some tools may be able to help. It depends how far into the boot process you are able to get and what about it is failing.

Some additional questions.

• Is this standard windows 7, or embedded?
  • When you try to boot normally do you get a windows loading screen? Or does it say something along the lines of no operating system found? That'll narrow it down to a bootloader issue or an operating system issue.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 11:36:49 am »

When you power on the scope, does a boot menu briefly appear that gives you the option to boot into the system recovery? Are you able to then choose the system recovery option, and it does start that and displays some message warning that it will delete everything on the system partition and ask to confirm before proceeding, and then you confirm that and the recovery process starts? If the recovery process does start, how far does it get before it fails? What sort of failure messages do you get?

I had a 16901A logic analyzer which failed to complete the system recovery process. After looking into it, there was a single corrupt file would could not be extracted from the system recovery image and copied to the system partition. I was able to delete that single corrupt file from the recovery image and then the recovery process was successful after doing that. My guess is that the recovery image corruption occurred when the image was initially created, before it was written to the disk at the factory. Hard to know if something similar could have happened to the system recovery image on your scope, or if the hard drive started failing and that caused some corruption on the recovery partition. If you have image copies of the original hard drive that you can experiment with without worrying about losing the original data, there might be some things you could look at to see what might be wrong with the recovery partition.

I have tried exactly like this , deleting files one by one from corrupted recovery file and but with me there many files which got corrupted. Even though ddrecuse says only 1MByte of 10GByte file the recovery file is corrupted. I am still trying one by one finding bad files and removing them.

It's promising that you were able to recover most of the drive with ddrescue. Depending on what is damaged you may be able to replace a damaged file or two, or run one of the automated tools (bootrec /fixboot, sfc /scannow, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, etc). Even if you can get into safemode (which never really fixes anything) you would have a list of what is being loaded when windows starts up which could help to narrow it down. Alternatively you may be able to boot into a PE environment and attach to the damaged windows installation.

It sounds like you were able to get into the 'startup repair' and it failed, is this correct? Were there additional options such as 'command prompt'? If so, some tools may be able to help. It depends how far into the boot process you are able to get and what about it is failing.

Some additional questions.

• Is this standard windows 7, or embedded?
  • When you try to boot normally do you get a windows loading screen? Or does it say something along the lines of no operating system found? That'll narrow it down to a bootloader issue or an operating system issue.

Yes that menu appears i can go into Keysight recovery menu but its just crashes in the beginning.

It is windows 7 embedded or not normal windows . ( I think Microsofts call this windwos Windows 7 embedded standard)

It never reaches windows boot logo.

It would be really a great help if some one has Keysight recovery image wim file for 9000/ S-series oscilloscope  . This wim file is located in recovery partition can be used to make a basic working system.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 02:17:10 pm »
I managed to use broken recovery image to get some what functional window image.

So now I have a working unit which boots into Keysight's window embedded but get lots of error message here and there, I can start Infinium application scope works.

but may windows program do not work due to initial recovery image corruption issue. and I keep getting crash and error popup.

Unit has official Microsoft windows embedded standard on the back so i would like to get a fresh Keysight copy of this software as my current copy is less than ideal.

I really can't get  normal windows working it. I have contacted keysight if could somehow provide a recovery image or disk or wim file that would really great.

Regards

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 07:52:45 pm »

I have tried exactly like this , deleting files one by one from corrupted recovery file and but with me there many files which got corrupted. Even though ddrecuse says only 1MByte of 10GByte file the recovery file is corrupted. I am still trying one by one finding bad files and removing them.

If the recovery image wim file on the original disk drive was corrupted to the point where ddrescue couldn't copy sizable sections of it off of the original disk drive, unfortunately that is a bad situation to be in. (On the 16800 and 16900 series logic analyzers the file is named InstrumentRecoveryImage.wim and is around 9GB in size).

The official Keysight repair policy might only be to send in the entire oscilloscope and they replace the hard drive with a new one with the software already installed. Unless you can find a sympathetic contact somewhere inside of Keysight, you might not be able to get just a copy of the recovery files from them.

Unfortunately your best hope might be that someone here has the same version of the oscilloscope who can make a copy of the files from the recovery partition for you.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 08:05:12 am »

If the recovery image wim file on the original disk drive was corrupted to the point where ddrescue couldn't copy sizable sections of it off of the original disk drive, unfortunately that is a bad situation to be in. (On the 16800 and 16900 series logic analyzers the file is named InstrumentRecoveryImage.wim and is around 9GB in size).

The official Keysight repair policy might only be to send in the entire oscilloscope and they replace the hard drive with a new one with the software already installed. Unless you can find a sympathetic contact somewhere inside of Keysight, you might not be able to get just a copy of the recovery files from them.

Unfortunately your best hope might be that someone here has the same version of the oscilloscope who can make a copy of the files from the recovery partition for you.

Yes on my instrument as well recovery wim file is  InstrumentRecoveryImage.wim and is around 9GB in size . This file when restoring, restores to around 40GB of files, I am missing just around 1Mbyte from this file while its a compress many files got affected just by 1Mbyte missing in original file.

Its has windows 7 embedded standard. I am waiting for answer from Keysight lets see how it goes. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 08:07:38 am by RoadRunner »

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 04:23:04 pm »
Hi.
I have DSOS available at home. Might be able to help when I'm back probably around weekend.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf