Author Topic: Functional comparison of R&S RTB2000, Siglent SDS2000X and Keysight DSOX1000  (Read 32175 times)

skench and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RBBVNL9Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
>> The undocumented SCPI command can be used to read out the FFT window factor:

Very nice, thanks! Now we know the exact values the instruments uses and plug these into our calculations.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 05:49:56 pm by RBBVNL9 »

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
>> The undocumented SCPI command can be used to read out the FFT window factor:

Very nice, thanks! Now we know the exact values the instruments uses and plug these into our calculations.

Yes - whatever it's worth.

Maybe you want to consider my analysis presented in reply #3561 in the following thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/msg4318822/#msg4318822

One might come to the conclusion that these factors are all very nice (and different, depending on the source), but rather meaningless in practice - with one major exception...

• Frequent Contributor
All true, but I find them useful to reconstruct the RTB FFT method / settings ;-)

• Frequent Contributor
In my last video, the Rohde & Schwarz RTB2004 was still holding secrets in terms of how its FFT analysis actually work. In this video, I go into greater detail unravelling them.

Thanks to various people that contributed to this thread with useful suggestions and ideas!

https://youtu.be/D1dVqcjbWm4

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, skench, 2N3055, Detlev

Offline kerouanton

• Regular Contributor
  • Just curious about science, radio etc.
    • Sometimes I play with radio
In my last video, the Rohde & Schwarz RTB2004 was still holding secrets in terms of how its FFT analysis actually work. In this video, I go into greater detail unravelling them.

Thanks to various people that contributed to this thread with useful suggestions and ideas!

https://youtu.be/D1dVqcjbWm4

I spent the whole evening (and partly night) watching your videos, reading the thread and your comparison document, that's a huge work, so thank you @RBBVNL9.

Wondering if you plan to continue updating the document or releasing new videos? I also watched your other recent videos on Anritsu hardware (wow, that's high-end gear!), but I was wondering if you were dropping this comparison topic.

Again many thanks.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Functional comparison of R&S RTB2000, Siglent SDS2000X and Keysight DSOX1000
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2023, 08:05:39 am »
May I revisit this older thread? I have just started to work my way through Rudi's very helpful series of videos -- mainly with an interest in the hands-on demonstration of the SDS2104X plus, which I'm  seriously considering as my next scope.

One thing that struck me in episode #4 (Measurements) is that the SDS came out last, by an order of magnitude (!), regarding the speed of collecting measurement statistics. See the attached table and the video linked below. Given how the strength of quantitative measurements and analysis is always stressed when discussing the Siglent scopes (and their LeCroy role models), I had not expected this.

I did not find any comments on this in the present thread. Is the slow measurement update rate just a reality with the SDS2000X plus? Are there some memory or acquisition settings that should be changed to get much faster measurements? Has anything been improved in recent firmware updates?

Thanks for your comments!

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
Re: Functional comparison of R&S RTB2000, Siglent SDS2000X and Keysight DSOX1000
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2023, 01:32:19 pm »
May I revisit this older thread? I have just started to work my way through Rudi's very helpful series of videos -- mainly with an interest in the hands-on demonstration of the SDS2104X plus, which I'm  seriously considering as my next scope.

One thing that struck me in episode #4 (Measurements) is that the SDS came out last, by an order of magnitude (!), regarding the speed of collecting measurement statistics. See the attached table and the video linked below. Given how the strength of quantitative measurements and analysis is always stressed when discussing the Siglent scopes (and their LeCroy role models), I had not expected this.

I did not find any comments on this in the present thread. Is the slow measurement update rate just a reality with the SDS2000X plus? Are there some memory or acquisition settings that should be changed to get much faster measurements? Has anything been improved in recent firmware updates?

Thanks for your comments!

You have already named it – this is a MSO with main focus on analytic capabilities. Of course there is a difference between analytic scopes, which require deep measurements, and standard scopes, which prioritize speed and try to measure (estimate would be more appropriate) on heavily decimated data. To understand this, here’s a simple example:

SDS2354X_Plus_Meas_Pulse_10Mpts

This screenshot shows just a pulse train. Pulse width is 10 µs, transition times are ~1 ns and repetition rate is 4 kHz. At a time base of 500 µs/div and 2 GSa/s, this results in a record length of 10 Mpts. The key parameters of the pulse train shall be measured: period, amplitude, rise and fall times and pulse width. Everything is measured reasonably correctly. Of course, at 2 GSa/s this scope isn’t fast enough to measure a 1 ns transition time precisely, yet it’s well within reasonable expectations. For more accurate measurements on such short time intervals, we’d have to zoom in up to the point, where sin(x)/x reconstruction calculates additional data points. We cannot use a much faster timebase right from the start, because at faster time bases we lose the measurements, one by one: At < 25 µs/div we could not measure the period anymore, at <1 µs/div we lose the pulse width measurement and can only measure a single transition, I.e. either the rising or the falling edge.

Now try the same exercise with the fast Keysight, which uses 64 kpts decimated data – good luck!

It is worth to take a closer look at this screenshot. We see advanced measurements in M1 mode, where statistics and Histicons (small histogram icons) are enabled. If we look at the “count” in the measurement statistics, it becomes obvious that only the vertical (amplitude) related measurements appear to be slow. For the time measurements, the scope analyzes the entire record, hence a single acquisition yields some 20 measurements of period, rise and fall times and pulse width. It just so happened that not a single time related measurement was shown in this comparison.

Apart from that the SDS2000X Plus firmware has seen a few optimizations since this comparison. My measurements yielded at least twice the speed as the numbers found in this review. If I make the conditions a bit more equal, then the vertical measurement rate reaches >16 measurements per second if I reduce the record length to 100 kpts, thus getting into the ballpark of the measurements on decimated data of the competing instruments.

Furthermore we have these M1 and M2 measurement modes (limited to max. 12 measurements) only in the “advanced measurements” mode. But there is also a “simple” mode, which allows a lot more than just 12 measurements in parallel:

SDS2354X_Plus_Meas_Simple

You should be able to count not 6, also not 12 but no less than 52 measurements at once. The glitch, that the measurement window closes as soon as we select an item (so that we cannot read the help text and have to re-open the window if we need to add more measurements) is long fixed either.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 01:35:16 pm by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2023, 02:23:14 pm »
Thank you, Performa01 -- carrying out measurements on the full acquired data buffer vs. a decimated subset explains a lot. I had not realized that some other scopes decimate the data. (Besides my DS1054Z, which takes this to the extreme of using the screen data only...)

So, in situations where the high resolution is not needed and I want to gather statistics quickly, I can simply reduce the number of data points to speed things up? I did notice in the video that the measurement rate went up when Rudi demonstrated the use of gated measurements, i.e. only a shorter sequence of the data was used for the measurements.

Also, thank you for pointing out that multiple measurements per capture are derived for the time-related measurements. That makes sense; one does want individual measurements per period when collecting statistics on jitter etc.

You should be able to count not 6, also not 12 but no less than 52 measurements at once.

Now you are just showing off!  ;) :D

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline AC360

« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2023, 02:44:23 pm »
You have already named it – this is a MSO with main focus on analytic capabilities. Of course there is a difference between analytic scopes, which require deep measurements, and standard scopes, which prioritize speed and try to measure (estimate would be more appropriate) on heavily decimated data. To understand this, here’s a simple example:

SDS2354X_Plus_Meas_Pulse_10Mpts

This screenshot shows just a pulse train. Pulse width is 10 µs, transition times are ~1 ns and repetition rate is 4 kHz. At a time base of 500 µs/div and 2 GSa/s, this results in a record length of 10 Mpts. The key parameters of the pulse train shall be measured: period, amplitude, rise and fall times and pulse width. Everything is measured reasonably correctly. Of course, at 2 GSa/s this scope isn’t fast enough to measure a 1 ns transition time precisely, yet it’s well within reasonable expectations. For more accurate measurements on such short time intervals, we’d have to zoom in up to the point, where sin(x)/x reconstruction calculates additional data points. We cannot use a much faster timebase right from the start, because at faster time bases we lose the measurements, one by one: At < 25 µs/div we could not measure the period anymore, at <1 µs/div we lose the pulse width measurement and can only measure a single transition, I.e. either the rising or the falling edge.

Now try the same exercise with the fast Keysight, which uses 64 kpts decimated data – good luck!

It is worth to take a closer look at this screenshot. We see advanced measurements in M1 mode, where statistics and Histicons (small histogram icons) are enabled. If we look at the “count” in the measurement statistics, it becomes obvious that only the vertical (amplitude) related measurements appear to be slow. For the time measurements, the scope analyzes the entire record, hence a single acquisition yields some 20 measurements of period, rise and fall times and pulse width. It just so happened that not a single time related measurement was shown in this comparison.

Apart from that the SDS2000X Plus firmware has seen a few optimizations since this comparison. My measurements yielded at least twice the speed as the numbers found in this review. If I make the conditions a bit more equal, then the vertical measurement rate reaches >16 measurements per second if I reduce the record length to 100 kpts, thus getting into the ballpark of the measurements on decimated data of the competing instruments.

Furthermore we have these M1 and M2 measurement modes (limited to max. 12 measurements) only in the “advanced measurements” mode. But there is also a “simple” mode, which allows a lot more than just 12 measurements in parallel:

SDS2354X_Plus_Meas_Simple

You should be able to count not 6, also not 12 but no less than 52 measurements at once. The glitch, that the measurement window closes as soon as we select an item (so that we cannot read the help text and have to re-open the window if we need to add more measurements) is long fixed either.

Hi Performa01,

How to enable all the measurements at once in “simple” mode with SDS2354X Plus?

Need to upgrae the firmware to support this?

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2023, 03:43:16 pm »
How to enable all the measurements at once in “simple” mode with SDS2354X Plus?

Simple. In the "MEASURE" menu, select "Type". Then choose from the three tabs (Vertical, Horizontal, Miscellaneous) all the measurements you like - for this demo (some call it "show off" :-DD) I've simply selected all of them.

Done!

EDIT: You can change the measurement source after the fact. This enables you to compile a nice set of measurements and then apply it to any possible input source you like.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 03:45:46 pm by Performa01 »

• Frequent Contributor
Dear all,

In this series of videos, I now posted an episode on the Power Analysis functions of the Siglent SDS2000X plus. While also looking at power measurements using the R&S RTB2000 and Keysight DSOX1000, the primary comparison is with a dedicated power meter, the GW INSTEK GPM-8310.

Enjoy!

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, nctnico, egonotto, Grandchuck, Martin72

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf