Author Topic: fluke 8846A usb to serial adapter  (Read 855 times)

Offline bofulTopic starter

• Contributor
fluke 8846A usb to serial adapter
« on: April 30, 2022, 10:30:16 am »
Greetings..

New Fluke 8846A out of the box, and can not get USB/Serial Adapter (Rev II) to work.   Every time adapter is connected to USB port on a computer have the following messages:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
A request for the USB device descriptor failed.
Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&7711db8&0&6 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

I have tried the adapter on three (3) computers running either Windows 10 home or Pro.

Have installed other USB to Serial Adapters (FTDI and Prolific) with no problems.

Could it be the adapter is defected ?   New never used from Fluke or am I spinning and doing something wrong ?

Can I use any serial to usb adapter with the FlukeView Software ?  I do not have a gender bender at the present
to connect with the 8846A (why does Fluke have RS-232 pins on the meter in a male configuration).

Thanks for any comments.

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
Re: fluke 8846A usb to serial adapter
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 10:40:33 am »
Hmm,

VID_0000 is a invalid value. So obvioulsly at least the EEPROM in the adapter has a problem

The correct VID/PID should be part of the .inf file of the driver package.

with best regards

Andreas

Offline bofulTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 01:32:46 pm »
greetings   

thanks for response.

Yes..  I found a null modem adapter with the correct gender matching
using another FTDI USB / Serial adapter and yes the interface works !

:-)

Offline ci11

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 02:38:45 pm »
The 8846A only requires a null modem cable or adapter to connect to either FTDI or Profilic USB-to-serial cables, and not a gender changer without or in combo with a null modem device. If both are used, the null modem is literally nullified and it won't talk.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 02:56:35 pm »
I don't know if this is helpful, but I've attached the drivers that I'm using with an 8846A, a Fluke serial-to-USB cable and Windows 10.  I recall having some issues getting it to work until I found and used these, but of course once it is working I forget all the details.  HTH.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 03:03:55 pm »
Why not use it with a network connection?
I generally prefer network for my devices, this simpler to use when you assign fixed IP address to the devices.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 03:14:24 pm »
If it is based on a fake FTDI,   some more recent drivers reset the eeprom content and could / can give this invalid VID

There was an FTDI utility to repaid the VID string and bring back to life the adapter BUT  you need to stop windows to update the drivers and use an older FTDI driver ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf