Author Topic: Fluke 87V vs 179  (Read 13133 times)

Offline echen1024Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
Fluke 87V vs 179
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:18:17 am »
The specs sheet look the same, and the only notable difference is the lack of a uA range on the 179. Which one would be better for electronics work, especially as I can find a new 179 on ebay for $175.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Fluke 87V vs 179
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:28:23 am »
Although I have a 179 and it is a war tank, the 87V is your man for electronics... Not because of the µA range (Dave's µcurrent covers that area), but it has other features such as relative mode, filtering, duty cycle, etc...

This is discussed somewhere around the internet... Places for electronic aficionados or electricians.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline kg4arn

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 02:44:29 am »
I have them both.  I agree with rsjsouza, 87V for electronics, if you can afford it.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:05:07 am »
especially as I can find a new 179 on ebay for $175.
Be aware that buying any new Fluke multimeter on ebay is likely NOT going to have the lifetime warranty honored by Fluke as most sellers on ebay are not authorized dealers.

With this in mind, you can easily get an used 87V for $175 on ebay.  With patience, you can get a 87V as low as $125.  An used Fluke 179 goes around $100 to $125 on ebay.

Regardless of which you choose, make sure to ask/get the temperature probe.  Without it, you will have to spend $25 extra to get a Fluke branded one.  As you saw in Dave's EEVblog #512 - Rigol DP832 Bad Design Investigation, it came in handy.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:43:10 am »
For 175$ish budget, a used 87V is probably the best choice, as the rest said.
you really need to make sure it's fully functional though. go local if you can, where you can handle the meter before agreeing to purchase.

ebay can be a minefield
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf