Author Topic: Fluke 8060A replacement LCD Display with PCB and LEDs  (Read 114 times)

Offline paraboliclabsTopic starter

Fluke 8060A replacement LCD Display with PCB and LEDs
« on: Yesterday at 06:57:08 am »
I created this KiCAD project almost 2 years ago, and worked on it intermittently for a few days out of the past two years. It's a PCB version of Dmitri's wonderful 8060A LED display modification. I never did get this manufactured, because I figured I messed up something somewhere and I was too scared at the time to get one made and try it out on one of my display-less 8060As. I originally thought I read someone (ogdento?) had replacement LCDs made, but could never find information on where/who to bug about them, so I decided to make this KiCAD project.

A short while ago, Dave uploaded a video about the prototype Fluke 87-VI and I commented about 8060A. Dave talked about the forum and the AmpHour episode with DrTaylor in his comment, and I totally forgot about this place! Shame on me. Anyway, I thought someone here would love to have a starting point. So I've uploaded it to the internet and am posting it here for anyone to finish it/look it over.

I'm willing to get some PCBs made and do all the R&D for physical spacing constraints + create a LED shaper/blocker 3D print and release it all for free. Though I would like people who are far more knowledgeable than I am to look over the design, raise some issues/complaints/ideas.

I am hoping the whole thing could exist as a sandwich of the PCB, 3D printed LED shaper/blocker, and a thin piece of Lexan. If memory serves me correctly, the original 8060A display sandwich should be around 4.05mm - 4.10mm thick. The standardish PCB thickness is around 1.6mm + a 1mm thick clear Lexan sheet, leaving around 2mm of 3D print space, so it could theoretically work.

It should be noted, the project used a trace smoothing plugin, and I'm not entirely sure what it was. Though the repository has backups of the project before smoothing was applied.

Edit: I just submitted a precursory order to PCBWAY and only had to change via drill size from 0.1mm to 0.2mm. :palm: I updated the repository with the changes and it should be produced asap. I should get them on Monday or so. I have the same LEDs and resistors that Dmitri used. Can't wait to test them out!

Anyways, Hope you're all doing well.  :-+

https://github.com/SaxonRah/Fluke-8060A-LED-LCD
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:34:17 am by paraboliclabs »

The following users thanked this post: blue_lateral

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf