Author Topic: My Keithley DMM7510 is screwed up detecting mains line frequency!  (Read 2651 times)

Offline DragonyTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello,

I have just purchased a DMM7510 but although most parts of it seems to work fine I have encountered a major problem with line frequency.

I live in Switzerland and we have 50Hz.

The problem is that the DMM sometimes detects 50Hz and sometimes 60Hz. Keithley decided not to allow the user to change this setting manually.

Furthermore, when I click on "Line Sync" when measuring DC Voltage (Settings dialog, well hidden), the DMM crashes everytime. (Can someone confirm this?)

Does someone has the same problems and has a hint how to work around this issues?

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
Re: My Keithley DMM7510 is screwed up detecting mains line frequency!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 08:39:48 pm »
Dragony, first of all, I do not own this unit. But, reading EEVblog and also electronics and arms electronics sources quite a lot, I have not heard much good about Danahers Keithley DMM family. I can recall crashes everywhere, and them generally being finicky.

Plus, Danahers repair fees become ANAL the moment you are out of warranty. If I were you, I would try my luck at chucking the thing back at Danaher and grabbing a different meter.

Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »
If purchased new send it in under warranty.
If second hand..  :-//

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 08:49:18 pm »
Furthermore, when I click on "Line Sync" when measuring DC Voltage (Settings dialog, well hidden), the DMM crashes everytime. (Can someone confirm this?)

Does someone has the same problems and has a hint how to work around this issues?

I tested this with my DMM 7510 and it does not crash. Firmware version is 1.6.1a
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 08:52:34 pm »
Dragony, first of all, I do not own this unit. But, reading EEVblog and also electronics and arms electronics sources quite a lot, I have not heard much good about Danahers Keithley DMM family. I can recall crashes everywhere, and them generally being finicky.

Plus, Danahers repair fees become ANAL the moment you are out of warranty. If I were you, I would try my luck at chucking the thing back at Danaher and grabbing a different meter.

I'm a little confused about this. Are the units sold by Danahers different than the regular Keithley units? I hold Keithley to be world class, and DMM7510 to be similarly so. 

Offline VintageNut

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 06:47:07 am »
Hello,

I have just purchased a DMM7510 but although most parts of it seems to work fine I have encountered a major problem with line frequency.

I live in Switzerland and we have 50Hz.

The problem is that the DMM sometimes detects 50Hz and sometimes 60Hz. Keithley decided not to allow the user to change this setting manually.

I have two suggestions for  you.

1. Post on Tek/Keithley forum asking for help
2. Contact Tek/Keithley service group in Germany
working instruments :Keithley 260,261,2750,7708, 2000 (calibrated), 2015, 236, 237, 238, 147, 220,  Rigol DG1032  PAR Model 128 Lock-In amplifier, Fluke 332A, Gen Res 4107 KVD, 4107D KVD, Fluke 731B X2 (calibrated), Fluke 5450A (calibrated)

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 09:51:14 am »
I had plenty of problems with my Keithley DMM7510.
After the problems were posted on the Tek forum, Keithley got very responsive and fixed many problems in interim FW
Right now I am running FW 1.6.3c and have no problems at all.

Keithley is about to release an official new FW and that should also address your problem.
I tested your problem on my instrument and I do NOT have this problem at 50Hz line frequency in Germany.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline DragonyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 02:11:23 pm »
I can't find your topic regarding your problems in the tek forum. Can you provide a link?

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 03:10:28 pm »

I'm a little confused about this. Are the units sold by Danahers different than the regular Keithley units? I hold Keithley to be world class, and DMM7510 to be similarly so.

Danaher owns Keithley, Tek and Fluke.
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 04:57:55 pm »
I can't find your topic regarding your problems in the tek forum. Can you provide a link?

Here is where we have discussed our problems with the 7510 on eevblog
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keithley-dmm7510-smu-2450-2460-problems/

And here on the Tek forum
https://forum.tek.com/viewtopic.php?f=363&t=139083#p281815
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf