Author Topic: What is this self-made piezo sensor actually measuring?  (Read 801 times)

Offline XanthippeTopic starter

What is this self-made piezo sensor actually measuring?
« on: May 31, 2020, 09:25:06 pm »
Hello everyone,

I made a primitive "sensor" by soldering a small piezo to a set of wires connected to a BNC connector and pluging them into an oscilloscope. Photo included.

My objective was to detect ultrasound waves under water to get a better understanding of the acoustic field, similar to a hydrophone.
And at first my oscilloscope showed a periodic sinusoidal wave when I would dip the piezo into water with a transducer nearby.
But then i accidentally put it on the optical table and I saw another wave appear. It turns out that only when I hold the piezo in air, there is a flat line. As soon as it touches skin, liquids and metal objects a wave appears.
I am not sure what actually is being measured here.
It can't be temperatur, because the optical table and the water had the same temperature yet their waves didn't resemble.
Some weak waves would also appear when I would whistle near the piezo but they were nowhere as defined and as periodic as when the piezo would come into touch with an object. However no waves would appear when i put the piezo on plexiglass.
I am confused. Does anyone understand this?

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: What is this self-made piezo sensor actually measuring?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 11:18:35 pm »
the mystery wave wouldn't happen to be exactly 60Hz ?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: What is this self-made piezo sensor actually measuring?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 01:03:37 am »
Its a mechanical sensir, i.e. a microphone. There also meay be some conductivity inherent to skin and ground loops.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf