Author Topic: Low input impedance multimeter for mains electrical work?  (Read 5765 times)

Offline fubar.grTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
Low input impedance multimeter for mains electrical work?
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:08:27 pm »
Measuring mains wiring with a typical 10 Meg multimeter might indicate high voltages due to leakage from Y caps or neon lamps, but in reality these voltages are harmless.

Are there any lower impedance meters available, specifically for electrical work?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: Low input impedance multimeter for mains electrical work?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 07:13:53 pm »
There are many multilmeters with a low impedence option. Look for 'LoZ' on Fluke for example (110 range comes to mind).

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 07:17:56 pm »
The low end compact multimeters from fluke have a low input impedance range (Fluke 113, 114, 115, 116).

But I would avoid the Fluke 113. It has only one Voltage range where the LoZ function is active all the time, you cann not turn it off. With that you can not properly measure circuits with RCD. They will trip if you try to measure between live and protective earth. Also not all meters of this series can measure current.

Edit:

These electrical testers also have low input impedance with a button press:
http://de.benning.de/en/corporate/products-services/testing-measuring-and-safety-instruments/testequipment-voltage-tester/duspol-facts.html
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:24:22 pm by 128er »

The following users thanked this post: mcinque

Offline rwgast_lowlevellogicdesin

• Frequent Contributor
    • LowLevel-LogicDesign
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:23:12 pm »
Im a sparky and I use a Klein MM2000 not 200! It has a Low-Z setting and defualts everything to AC. This is a solid meter Ive worked 480 switch gears and 600v residential feeders with it! Never had it blow up. My only peeve with it is that it doesnt warn you if your set to volts and plug a probe in to the amps.

I will say this is not a good meter for desk top electronics work I would buy a Uni-T 68 for that any day they are shielded cheap and measure hi frequency's low resistance huge caps, small caps and have a 20,000 count resolution vs the kleins 4000 count. Klein is trusted by all unioun electricians and there built solid like a fluke, they have proper huge 1000v ceramic fuses, PTC's and MOVS's for input protection. The MM2000 is made in Korea which is produces a much higher quality than Chinese meters. These meters are available at home depot for $100 dollars, you can find them on line for a little cheaper if you look hard. But the $100 dollars gives you saftey I would put close to a fluke. They also have some new mm5/6000 meters made in the USA, but these ar only online and Im not sure of there feature set.

If you are looking for something cheaper google ideal wiggins tester or wiggy. These usually measure up to 600v and they are not a meter but use a solenoid to test voltages, this will make sure arent reading a ghost voltage coupled from another wire, because there is no current to push the solenoid. A wiggy can be had for around 20 dollars. I have used the MM2000 in industerial work all the way up to 1000v and never had a problem. If im doing electrical it is my go to, They are also accurate I have three and they all read 4.99v out of the box on a 5v standard, and can be calibrated by hand with trimmer caps. My oldest one, 3 years has not drifted at all.

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 10:43:34 am »
I keep a Fluke 117 at work specifically because of the Lo-Z function. I find that the 3K ohm load is also helpful for testing small batteries (at least it's better than no load at all).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf